Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

19 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Sitting here this weekend, feet still up.... awaiting the first speed run entry....feeling slightly anxious :) 

You get comfortable bud :)   

I'm not winning already today the diff gear case in the FF03 has a couple of mangled teeth and is coging a little, I'm tempted to run it and see it frees up rather than waiting for RC Mart again :(  I think I found what caused the gearbox meltdown the counter gear cracked and the pin slipped which caused it to lock up, @Wooders28 so it was just general wear and tear in the end ;) 

20170708_083524

Now the TT02.   @Jason1145 the gearing I chose won't clear the cover plate without a spacer fitted, assuming I am not allowed to fit them or run without the cover altogether?     

20170708_083345

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Now the TT02.   @Jason1145 the gearing I chose won't clear the cover plate without a spacer fitted, assuming I am not allowed to fit them or run without the cover altogether?     

20170708_083345

How big is that Pinion!! lol

I have a feeling you won't be able to run that inline with the Rules! 

4 hours ago, El Dougo said:

You get comfortable bud :)   

I'm not winning already today the diff gear case in the FF03 has a couple of mangled teeth and is coging a little, I'm tempted to run it and see it frees up rather than waiting for RC Mart again :(  I think I found what caused the gearbox meltdown the counter gear cracked and the pin slipped which caused it to lock up, @Wooders28 so it was just general wear and tear in the end ;) 

20170708_083524

20170708_083345

That will be silly fast

• Like 1

Dougo the rules do state... lemme go recheck... ok no modifications to the gearbox are allowed and leaving the top cover off will be a modification... I know it's pretty loose but rules are rules for now.

What size pinion is that???? I think King Kong wants it back!

Ultimately the point is everyone can run the same car with same gearing, the only variables are everything else, motor, battery, tyres, run area etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Phil_H said:

Sneek Peek at the next Speed Machine (4WD)

TA Pickup .jpeg

Is that a TL01 under there??? Looks sweet though!

TA04-SS

Gotta sell a few bits and pieces to raise funds for the Motor/ESC and some hop ups yet. I try not to use our everyday cash for my cars, far less hassle than explaining to the better half where all our cash is going haha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

What size pinion is that???? I think King Kong wants it back!

:)  48 pitch 43t, it's big but the tiny spur (49t) makes it look bigger in the pic. Been playing with different gear combos and it looks like I can get a 55 spur 36 pinon to fit, I have a 35t and it's just a little too loose so ill have to wait for a new one to turn up.  In the mean time I stuck a 66 spur and the 35 pinion in which will be fine for testing tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Phil_H said:

TA04-SS

Very nice, can you post a chassis pick?  

20170708_184801

Edited by El Dougo
added pic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, El Dougo said:

the gearing I chose won't clear the cover plate without a spacer fitted, assuming I am not allowed to fit them or run without the cover altogether?     

20170708_083345

At the risk of getting told off....again 🙄

The rules dont say anything about a cover plate, but-

Tamiya High Speed Gearsets are allowed and aftermarket internal gears that fit in stock Tamiya gearboxes and on stock gear shafts are also allowed.  

Find an aftermarket cover plate? Or leave it a bit loose and let it "bed in" 😉

Ps, the mercury was over 20 today AND it didn't rain!! 😎 

Forecast is for rain tomorrow, just as I'm set to go with the Glasgow RC club to Ayr racecourse for a demo /gala day thingy me Bob.😕

• Like 1

12 hours ago, El Dougo said:

20170708_083345

Even if its not in the rules you should run it anyway to see, then make your own outlaw thread...go on, you know you want to!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

make your own outlaw thread...go on, you know you want to!

Yes yes yes!

"Outlaws" sounds sooooo much better than the "Custom Modified Tamiya RC" Category.

The peasants are revolting!

If Tamiya made a gearbox that has a lower half and a upper half ( top cover) then that is what makes the stock Tamiya gearbox.. to leave off one of those parts ( top cover) then it is not using the "stock Tamiya gearbox", it's been modified... that's cleared that up ;)

To be honest the only way we would actually know if something has been modified in these gearbox areas is if another member recognises that a certain pinion or spur won't actually fit without some modding somewhere and then goes to the bother of reporting it back here... otherwise how would we know certain pinion and spurs won't fit?

Our video runs don't show enough detail to pick out the gearboxs as being stock,  otherwise it would become a chore to make video.. some don't even take the shell off so who actually knows what's lurking underneath?!

lie mode and not to be copied mode on:

"I might put a Hornet shell on a Traxxas Slash and enter it"

( I just quoted my own thought)

Do not do that or anything similar please :)

• Like 6

On 7/8/2017 at 1:59 PM, Wooders28 said:

Or leave it a bit loose and let it "bed in" 😉

This^. Then it fits due to "wear and tear". Just a worn out old stock cover, that's all.

• Like 4

Thanks for the clarification Jason and I'm happy to stick with the stock cover just means the shiny thing is a little more at risk. Unfortunately my camera man hurt his back so I didn't get to run on Sunday but I did test the TT02 (48 pitch 66s/35p, 4600kv, 3s) and it was very impressive.

I'm off to the F1 on the weekend and am actually a little annoyed that I'm gonna have to wait till after to run the cars :(  There is a tiny window for Thursday so hopefully everything will align.

I just fitted some semi functional bling to the shiny thing, mmm shiny thing :) 

20170711_183145

20170711_183203

@Phil_H chassis picture please :) 

• Like 4

Where is everyone getting the different size spur gears? The only thing I can find for TT02 is the high-speed spur gear set, which is 68T.

11 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Unfortunately my camera man hurt his back so I didn't get to run on Sunday

You must be the only person with a camera man! I just insulation tape my phone to the transmitter! 👍

11 hours ago, El Dougo said:

I'm off to the F1 on the weekend and am actually a little annoyed that I'm gonna have to wait till after to run the cars :( 

Not jealous at all 🙄 😠, I'm sure you'll forget all about it, with the sound of a high reving F1 engine on song......ok, maybe not.

• Like 3

That looks super sweet Phil and at a very nice price!  It could easily be a TT02 killer with it's open spur and pinion setup :)  

10 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

You must be the only person with a camera man! 

I don't think the transmitter solution will work for me as I'm having enough trouble trying to stop the potential fireball from happening :). I've been meaning to look into a head mount for the go pro so If anyone can recommend a good one it would be appreciated.

16 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Where is everyone getting the different size spur gears? The only thing I can find for TT02 is the high-speed spur gear set, which is 68T.

I'm running 48 pitch on most of my cars as there seems to be a much better selection available.  I usually get them from A-main as they have lots to choose from and they ship to the UK for just $1.99. The below pic is of the 68t Tamiya 0.6 Mod next to a 66t 48 pitch, you can see it's a significant size difference!   

20170712_085351

If your building a TT02 this is the 48p, 55 tooth I was referring to earlier: https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-48p-pro-machined-spur-gear-55t-rrp1855/p463841?v=153118 ;) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Tamiya has a 64t spur that i have for the tt02 high speed set too. Part 51356

• Like 1

On 11/07/2017 at 6:56 PM, El Dougo said:

I'm off to the F1 on the weekend and am actually a little annoyed that I'm gonna have to wait till after to run the cars :(  There is a tiny window for Thursday so hopefully everything will align.

👍 Luffield for me this year and taking my 9.y.o boy with me for his first. Doesn't look like we're getting any rain on Sunday thou... 😔

Also dug out my old phone for GPS, all being well I'll get my first speed run done tomorrow night, so long as Little Mix don't cause as much traffic on the bridges as Cold Play is.. **** happy concert goers interrupting my evening commute! 😁

@El Dougo where did you get that perfect tt02 tub sized 3s from? I can only find side or end leads?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Catchy said:

where did you get that perfect tt02 tub sized 3s from?

I got it from Rc Heli Guru (www.rcheliguru.co.uk/) at an Rc air show. They don't have it listed on the website but if you email them they will probably have some left. 

Good luck for tomorrow dude.

@El Dougo, enjoy the F1 on the weekend, I got my horsepower fix last weekend:

img33435_782017103419_6.jpg

I prefer my engines bigger and lower revving ;)

• Like 2

On 12/07/2017 at 8:49 PM, Catchy said:

much traffic on the bridges as Cold Play is.. **** happy concert goers interrupting my evening commute

Sorry, I was one of those peps holding you up! 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2017 at 4:24 PM, El Dougo said:

I've been meaning to look into a head mount for the go pro so If anyone can recommend a good one it would be appreciated.

I

Keep it simple dude! just take a cap bolt the gopro mount (other mounts available) straight through the peak.

Shoots where you look :) 

DSC05309.JPG

DSC05312.JPG

• Like 2