Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Didn't realise the data logger would log everything, that's quite cool, and we now know the motors are good for some over rev 👍😁

I've been offered one for a good price from castle, as long as I send them my old max pro , and then I'll have import costs etc, so I'm still undecided.🤔

I'm very impressed with it and will be checking the log after every run now, will be nice to see the cap packs effect on the ripple numbers.

I'd go for it bud and would even ask if they could do you a deal on a Monster X!  The prices for Castle stuff in the UK is crazy and it appears to be cheaper to import even with the handling fees and VAT.  The Monster X and sonsored motor from Modelsport come in at £260 compared to Amain's $220 with $30 off for spending over $200, it works out at $190/£145 and they even through in a free t-shirt! The ransom note should be less than £50 saving me approx £65. 

35 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

I'd go for it bud and would even ask if they could do you a deal on a Monster X! 

I am very tempted, but would need to raise funds selling some stock as my monthly budget is used on my 1:1 atm to try and get that finished.

Mamba x for $91 , Monster x for $95! 🤔

11 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Mamba x for $91 , Monster x for $95! 🤔

A very nice price :blink:  Get busy selling bud!

it's amazing how much pimping a 1:1 costs, makes the RC stuff seem insignificant.

24 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

A very nice price :blink:  Get busy selling bud!

The trouble is deciding which child to part with! 😕 

I was going to sell my other dark impact, but one went on eBay RTR for £50! The slipper and hardened gear mod almost cost that!! 

24 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

it's amazing how much pimping a 1:1 costs, makes the RC stuff seem insignificant.

Not sure ' pimping' is the right word, some of my 1:1 build on here.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/73176-other-forms-of-money-drains/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-617384

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Not sure ' pimping' is the right word, some of my 1:1 build on here.

That's definitely pimp in my book and very nice indeed B).  I have not managed tick the V8 ownership box yet but it's very high up on the list!   

• Thanks 1

@El Dougo

Sorry, could not comment on logs.  It's good that you were able to interpret them, knowing how you were driving and on what surface.

It would be interesting to know what value is acceptable for ripple, per cell count, but I'm sure this will be different due to variations in set-up.

With regards to tyre tools, just google (images), "RC tyre truer" and "RC tyre balancer" and you'll see a wide variety.  Foam tyre quickly go out of shape.  These tools will ensure you get the most out of your wheel/tyres, greatly reduce vibration and aid with Vmax.

I also came across a web site that had 40mm foam rears, normal hex fit, if you are interested.

@Wooders28

You and me both.  I too have many projects on the table.  I need to keep funds available for my 1:1 engine build. I went with ProEFI stand alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M 800STD said:

Sorry, could not comment on logs.  It's good that you were able to interpret them, knowing how you were driving and on what surface.

It would be interesting to know what value is acceptable for ripple, per cell count, but I'm sure this will be different due to variations in set-up.

With regards to tyre tools, just google (images), "RC tyre truer" and "RC tyre balancer" and you'll see a wide variety.  Foam tyre quickly go out of shape.  These tools will ensure you get the most out of your wheel/tyres, greatly reduce vibration and aid with Vmax.

I also came across a web site that had 40mm foam rears, normal hex fit, if you are interested.

From looking last night it's a % of the overall voltage and there is mixed info on the tolerances. It seems that less than 10% is the sweet spot and anything over 20% isn't good.

Thanks for the heads up on the balancer, I've added one to the shopping list :)

Always interested in new stuff so yes please!

I really want the automated truer, but like everyone else, spent too much money recently.

Give me a day or two to find the site with 40mm foams.  It is somewhere on my PC.

Ran the LRP esc for the first time tonight @M 800STD , got stuck in traffic so by the time I got to the track, it was battery in and start line.

I was running the 65c 4100mah shorty, and swapped the rx for the code micro one, Didn't think the esc made much of a difference. Managed to win that and the next heat (wish i could say I've suddenly got quick, just that the quick guys weren't there!🙄) before I got any tinker time (marshalling next heat etc).

Its a bit of a faff altering the settings, luckily I had downloaded and printed out the instructions so at least I had some clue. My other esc's use a programme box, (castle uses laptop) which makes life easy, this uses tiny smd led's. 3 (red,blue,yellow) and a separate green, giving 7 options (red+blue or blue+yellow etc) and counting the green flashes. Nothing for brakes, only drag brake (auto brake i think it's called) .Found i hadn't set the esc to the rx neutral, so set that. Fitted the 110c 3200mah shorty battery.I was placed in the A final, at the back.

Left the line leaving a 3 mtr pair of lines with the slipper squealing before fishtailing wildly, meaning i came off the throttle, so yeah, i think something's woke it up 👍, either the esc or the battery, or a mixture of both.😁

I'm going to try another speed run, when I get a chance, one with the 65c and one with the 110c see if there's any difference, but maybe it's just the time taken to get there?

You can download the literature and have a read through,but here's a gist anyway.

Screenshot_20170802-235119.png

• Like 1

@Wooders28  Thanks for your feedback on the LRP.  It's a shame the quick guys weren't there, to give you better indication.  Maybe next time.

Programming sounded like a bit of a ball ache, luckily I'm used to LRP methods.  Shame there is no programming card for this item.

May I suggest going back to your fastest 2s entrance, on here, and just swap out batteries first.  Then do another run with original batteries and ESC swapped out.  Then finally ESC and lipos swapped.  It would be interesting to see speeds of different set-up over the same given distance.

Did the ESC come with USB Bridge, for Firmware update?

Some things you may be interested in:

http://www.lrp.cc/en/product/usb-bridge-spec2-speedo-firmware-update-pc-link/

http://www.lrp.cc/en/product/bec-stabilising-capacitor/

http://www.lrp.cc/en/product/lrp-worksteam-power-capacitor-37-74v-1/

http://www.lrp.cc/en/product/blackbox-410r-heavy-duty-capacitor-unit-1/

7 hours ago, M 800STD said:

May I suggest going back to your fastest 2s entrance, on here, and just swap out batteries first.

I think that's the RB5, that has the same motor and esc that the kf2 had!?! 

7 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Did the ESC come with USB Bridge, for Firmware update?

No it didn't, and the price of those new, is almost what I paid for the esc, so I was going to keep an eye on eBay and ask about at the club for a lend of one 🙄

A couple of clubs running at Glasgows ignition , this weekend, come and say hi if anyone on here is going. (I'm actually only there tomorrow though😔)

https://m.facebook.com/GlasgowRC/photos/a.1486093831698931.1073741829.1415001915474790/1701485750159737/?type=3&source=48

On 30/07/2017 at 3:21 PM, Wooders28 said:

The one that's in is a speed passion revention r, which has a 7.5t limit (running boost, and mines a 6.5t...) and Only 70amp.

The new esc is a LRP flow factory team esc , 3t limit and 200 amps.

Makes my just ordered 60a and 120a esc's look puny.... horses for courses.

Just received an M03 Chassis, can't remember if there's been an M chassis car speed run entered so far?

56 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Makes my just ordered 60a and 120a esc's look puny.... horses for courses.

120a is ample, i only got that one as it came up at the right time for the right money! 

57 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Just received an M03 Chassis, can't remember if there's been an M chassis car speed run entered so far?

Speedy_w_beans - M05 -   47.4 MPH / 76.3 KPH ( video run on page 32)

Should be fun to try and beat! 😀

6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

120a is ample, i only got that one as it came up at the right time for the right money! 

Speedy_w_beans - M05 -   47.4 MPH / 76.3 KPH ( video run on page 32)

Should be fun to try and beat! 😀

Ha even I missed that entry when I speed scrolled down the list, my M03 is FWD like that M05 too... I've seen a reinforced gear set available, it might be needed to beat that 47mph run ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ha even I missed that entry when I speed scrolled down the list, my M03 is FWD like that M05 too... I've seen a reinforced gear set available, it might be needed to beat that 47mph run ;)

Get yourself on that FWD list ;) 

• Like 1

@Wooders28 do you race blinky or open? Those settings you changed, was that upping boost etc, or just calibrating it properly? I'm really interested in the results of your tests, both whether the 200a esc makes the car faster, and if the 110C battery makes a difference.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:13 PM, MadInventor said:

You can cut the plug and wire off the old battery, and wire it to the jst balance cable connector of whatever Lipo you are using. Connect the black wire to 0V wire (black) on the jst and the red wire to the wire next to it (White wire on all my connectors), and then you can run the Skyrc off the main LiPo. You only need to find a connector then to connect onto the balance connector on the main Lipo, cheaper than buying a 1cell LiPo.

Makes the car a bit lighter and you don't have to worry about charging the GPS for each run ;)

I bought a 3s JST Male/Female extension and will be hacking it up to create a power supply for my GPS since thats the battery I will be using for speed runs. However, the JST extension has red/black/black/black. I assume I use the black on the end and the red on the other end?

Got a quick run in last night with the TA04....

Wasn't going for another top speed, I was just curious to what it could achieve in the same car park I've used for all my others that were using the same Motor,ESC & Battery. 

FF01 =  52mph

TA03F = 54mph

TA04SS = 63mph

So certainly it has a much better set up for top end, and I only got one run...I think I could have got a couple more MPH as I had room  to spare. 

Ended the run with a broken suspension rod and a belt that decided to get caught up on the ESC wires...oops!

Anyway, I've changed to a lower gearing, put my old foams on..and I'm going out this weekend for some fun... to destroy the foams and maybe the drive belt...the a full rebuild will be carried out.

TRF still sat pretty on the shelf :)

And collecting a NIB City Turbo next week, going to speed run that on the Golf Course.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Macinnis said:

I bought a 3s JST Male/Female extension and will be hacking it up to create a power supply for my GPS since thats the battery I will be using for speed runs. However, the JST extension has red/black/black/black. I assume I use the black on the end and the red on the other end?

Not sure from the description. On the Zippy LiPos I have, the balance lead has only 1 black wire which is 0V, and then each cell is wired in sequence across from that wire.(So the wire immediately next to the black wire is +ve for 1s, the next one line is +ve for 2s, and so on). The best thing you can do is plug the extension lead into the balance lead from the battery, and then use a voltmeter to check the output of each wire on the extension lead to determine 0V and 1s.

So I got the 3s JST extension cable in the mail.  I cut the lead off my battery for the GPS and soldered it to the red and first black connection. Hooked it up to the gps and it worked!!!  Great idea. Run the gps off the lipo!

B9VEQx0.jpg

• Like 3

I was out with the FF03 and TT02 today.  

A decent speed from my FF03 and apologies for the prolonged video the run was the first one and the motor slipped on the way back.  I fixed it took it back out, had an off and broke another C hub :rolleyes:  I think it might just have the beans to beat Phil's current record if only it would hold together :)    Anyway Speed run entry:

FF03
75.6 Mph - 121.6 Kmh
Hobbywing Xerun 3.5t
Hobbywing Xerun V3.1 120Amp
Turnigy 2s Lipo 7500Mah 90C
48dp. 64T Spur, 40T Pinion
Matrix RC Foam Tyres

The TT02 was still all over the place and it had several impressive off's but surprisingly kept on going!   It hit 65Mph with relative ease but it's a total nightmare under load and I ended up breaking a rear bottom arm. If I get the time i'll make a highlight Video. 

I also ran my RS4 and the screws that hold the spur came loose and caused a nasty mess :blink::  

20170806_181947

It was doing 82Mph when it happened, you can see the motor RPM spike to almost 150000rpm when the spur gear strips :o

MambaX 82Mph Spur death

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phil_H said:

Awesome run....

I think its new motor time for me.

Thanks Phil :) 

What you thinking 2s, 3s or even 4s?    

I have my eye on a crazy 3.5t but I doubt ill get it.  My 418 came with a Fusion esc combo and when I was looking into it I found that the next model up comes with a 13300kv 3.5t motor, my Hobbywing is only  9750kv!