Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

I'm maybe going 2s..similar Kv to yours.

I found a 45t Pinion that will fit with my Spur. So +5t, not sure my Chinese Motor/ESC has enough go to max it out with the 45t 

Or I may run the TRF 😲

• Like 1

I'm not sure how you will get the TT02 stable. I found it really hard with the TT01. I even tried locking the front diff, still no go. 

Wider foams? I've got some 30mm ones and they will easily fit with some slightly wider Hex's.

Be interesting to see what it can do. Mine was always really smooth until about 45/50mph and then it would just be all over the place.  

3 hours ago, Macinnis said:

So I got the 3s JST extension cable in the mail.  I cut the lead off my battery for the GPS and soldered it to the red and first black connection. Hooked it up to the gps and it worked!!!  Great idea. Run the gps off the lipo!

B9VEQx0.jpg

Glad it worked ok for you, I will probably do this myself at some point even though my battery is still ok. It's just one less thing to have to worry about charging :)

List Updated!

nice effort with the Ff03, how did you increase its speed from

1 - El Dougo - FF03 - 65.1 MPH / 104.7 KPH (Video run on page 27)

to

1 - El Dougo - FF03 - 75.6 MPH / 121.6 KPH (Video run on page 58)

• Like 1

I think he'd already got a few runs with a decent speed. Was just not able to get a clean one 

No that can't be it can it?

The earlier run he posted at 104.7KPH was a clean run... just like the new 121.6KPH run...in the same run location.

I've just never seen two clean runs vary by that much... unless the earlier run was a trial effort not gunning it properly.

Dougo is a bit like a posh Ferrari owner turning up to an XR2 club meet... and Phil H is equivalent to the maddest mentalist XR2 owner  with 1000bhp under the little hood ;)

Wooders must also be a mentalist with an XR2 on 5s!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Your not far off! 

In reality, I'd turn up in a bored 1275gt mini, stage 5 (11 stud 12g940) head , 286 cam and wipe the floor with an XR2 (never liked the blue ovals,except in my rear view mirror) 🙄😁 

Things are heating up quickly, I really need this rain to do one, a lipo to turn up and get out for a run!?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Dougo is a bit like a posh Ferrari owner turning up to an XR2 club meet... and Phil H is equivalent to the maddest mentalist XR2 owner  with 1000bhp under the little hood ;)

Funny you should say that.... although none were 1000bhp, I've had about 7 or 8 XR2's. (Mk1 & 2), my 2nd car was a lovely Red '89 

But back to the run, I'm sure he's had 70+ a few times but had binned it each time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phil_H said:

I'm maybe going 2s..similar Kv to yours.

I found a 45t Pinion that will fit with my Spur. So +5t, not sure my Chinese Motor/ESC has enough go to max it out with the 45t 

Or I may run the TRF 😲

A 3.5t on 2s is awesome and most likely the way to go for RC's with limited battery space and gearing options but I think a decant 3s setup (5700kv +) in the TRF would see you into triple figures :)  I would definitely give that pinion a try, at least you will know for sure if it's holding you back. For info Robinson Racing do an 48dp, 47t alloy pinion :ph34r:   Fixed your upload problem?  Would love to see a decant picture of the shiny thing!

20 hours ago, Phil_H said:

I'm not sure how you will get the TT02 stable. I found it really hard with the TT01. I even tried locking the front diff, still no go. 

Wider foams? I've got some 30mm ones and they will easily fit with some slightly wider Hex's.

Be interesting to see what it can do. Mine was always really smooth until about 45/50mph and then it would just be all over the place. 

I was surprised when @Macinnis said he gave up on the locked diff but now I know why :)  The problem is that the front hubs and arms have way too much slop for high speed runs and there doesn't appear to be an easy fix. I tried the steel suspension balls and they made a small difference but I think the only way to get it suitable would be to convert the front to a TT02s spec.  I am going to dial the power back and give it a couple more try's as is before I give up with it or order the TT02s parts in.  

6 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

No that can't be it can it?

The earlier run he posted at 104.7KPH was a clean run... just like the new 121.6KPH run...in the same run location.

I've just never seen two clean runs vary by that much... unless the earlier run was a trial effort not gunning it properly.

Thanks for the speedy board update and @Phil_H is correct with the older set up I actually managed 69Mph but wanted to break the 70Mph barrier.  I geared up with -2 Spur and +4 Pinion and then had several failed attempts ranging from my mistakes like trying to run in +20Mph winds, driving into my mates Jag to the car taking off at significant speed and braking bits to the recant gearbox meltdown. I think there is a little more to come with the current gearing and I haven't touched the ESC boost/timing yet :)     

I'm not sure i'd go with the posh Ferrari type :huh: I'm the dude with the 230 wheel HP, 800kg supercharged badword box with parts that cost lots more than the car :) 

CNV00010

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

I'm not sure i'd go with the posh Ferrari type :huh:

I don't know, those things had steering that didn't need an arm wrestler to steer, brakes that worked and I'm betting, even a heater!! 

(And a bit on the porky side too! 😛) 

23 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I don't know, those things had steering that didn't need an arm wrestler to steer, brakes that worked and I'm betting, even a heater!! 

(And a bit on the porky side too! 😛) 

You got me on the self locking brakes and the heater but I've never run power steering.  I was still using this one as daily a few years ago, it's a 4wd turbo with no power steering a welded centre and rear diff not exactly an easy parker :) 

IMAG0637

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

A 3.5t on 2s is awesome and most likely the way to go for RC's with limited battery space and gearing options but I think a decant 3s setup (5700kv +) in the TRF would see you into triple figures :)  I would definitely give that pinion a try, at least you will know for sure if it's holding you back. For info Robinson Racing do an 48dp, 47t alloy pinion :ph34r:   Fixed your upload problem?  Would love to see a decant picture of the shiny thing!

I'm going to sort a Flikr account out. Then will get a few pictures up. Going for a GT3 Cup Body I think.

I think just adding the 45t for now will help...need to order both drive belts and find a centre pulley first (melted it!!)

Then will look at motors/esc's, although I like having a sub £40 set up :) 

Test of the Flikr account.

Only pic I have on my phone...and its a dirty one :) 

TRF416X

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil_H said:

Test of the Flikr account.

Only pic I have on my phone...and its a dirty one :) 

TRF416X

See, now that's a posh Ferrari! Well, compared to an old battered Tt01 or Blitzer Beetle.

• Like 1

Expensive new I believe..£400+?..this however was pretty cheap :) 

My £15 ESC has lasted for quite a while 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phil_H said:

I'm going to sort a Flikr account out. Then will get a few pictures up. Going for a GT3 Cup Body I think.

I think just adding the 45t for now will help...need to order both drive belts and find a centre pulley first (melted it!!)

Then will look at motors/esc's, although I like having a sub £40 set up :) 

Be good to see the results!  

I've had my eye on the GT3 body for a while it's very nice.  I just got a Protoform Mazda 6 for the 418, it doesn't look as cool but it will make it faster and more stable at speed, you should check them out.

I'm with @Wooders28 on the cheap ESC's had nothing but trouble, although I was thinking of trying a Hobbyking 120amp with the 3.5t in the FF03 to see how it compared to the Hobbywing.

And TRF sweetness, mmmmm shiny thing :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil_H said:

I've got this in my watch list..

Me like :) 

This is the best run from my TT02 (65.7Mph), it has a small tumble so I doubt the run counts. It's running a Castle 4600kv 4 pole, Hobbywing SCT Pro 120 amp ESC, 48dp 55 spur/37 pinion and a 3s 4400Mah 65c battery.   The battery was at near storage voltage and I wasn't able to get decant throttle on so if I do manage to sort the handling out it could be a contender :)  

• Like 3

You can see how twitchy the TT is...

Wish I'd got to the rear belt sooner!.....melted the Diff and Centre Pulley. Centre pulley seems hard to get hold of, apart from silly priced ones.

TA04

@Phil_HWith car designs so similar between manufacturers, try looking at Yokomo (or other) for the relevant pulley part.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Wish I'd got to the rear belt sooner!.....melted the Diff and Centre Pulley. Centre pulley seems hard to get hold of, apart from silly priced ones.

It's surprising how such a little thing can cause so much damage.  The counter gear pin popping out on the FF03 wrote the whole gear box off and I took my RS4 apart to get at the two screws that came loose from the spur, there was so much damage that it needs a new chassis :rolleyes: 

Good luck with the parts hunting, i'd like to see it break the 80Mph barrier :) 

I've been looking into a TT02s conversion, does anyone know if it has to be the TA05-IFS bottom arms (51297).  From looking they are the same style as the FF03 and most other TC but I noticed a short version on RC Mart and it has given me some doubt!?

• Like 1

The rear belt was on its way out after the Speed entry. Should have replaced it really. 

Anyway, I'll keep searching...the rear diff is proving hard to find.

The 30mm Tyres (the diameter is a little bigger as well) along with a bigger Pinion hopefully will get me to 80

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

It's surprising how such a little thing can cause so much damage.  The counter gear pin popping out on the FF03 wrote the whole gear box off and I took my RS4 apart to get at the two screws that came loose from the spur, there was so much damage that it needs a new chassis :rolleyes: 

Good luck with the parts hunting, i'd like to see it break the 80Mph barrier :) 

I've been looking into a TT02s conversion, does anyone know if it has to be the TA05-IFS bottom arms (51297).  From looking they are the same style as the FF03 and most other TC but I noticed a short version on RC Mart and it has given me some doubt!?

Dougo, you need to update your signature lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

2nd Fastest? :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Those old post were manually typed as the auto signature didn't work. I should have put some small print "correct at time of publishing" :)     

2 hours ago, Phil_H said:

2nd Fastest? :) 

You jest me sir! 

Was wondering what the next fastest 2s speed is? :D

• Like 1