Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

40 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Yes that one of the most interesting aspects really, I’m sure there are plenty of complex mathematical models to describe. 

But in the real world, as any kid who had speedometer on there push bikes will remember getting to 20mph is quite easy but you really have to try hard to get above it. 

My first 1:1 was a beetle even after I’d doubled the power output I could feel it struggling after it passed 40mph. 

I was thinking of trying a full body over my Thunder Shot to see what effect it had. The F1 people have said the open wheels are one of the biggest areas of drag. It’s probably more likely to have more notable effects as you get towards 50+mph though...

Yeah if I ever speed run my MP I think I’ll need to add some weight over the front bumper to keep it down.

Yep can’t wait for the answer to the MP pinion question.. but I did just see an adjustable motor mount allowing 16-22t pinions... 

https://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=301262047324#vi__app-cvip-panel

One of the most highly recommended upgrades!    

This is it!  An Adjustable Motor Mount Kit for the Tamiya Blackfoot, Grasshopper, Unimog 406 Wheelie, Midnight Pumpkin, Frog, Hornet, and others.  Designed with performance in mind to be light weight and provide a wide range of gear choices.  Unlike other manufacturers mounts this one is Ultra thin and will allow you to use most standard length pinions(a very nice feature).  A clear gear cover allows you to easily check gear mesh.  This kit will work for every vehicle listed on this page.  Please see the lists below find the gear range this kit provides for your specific vehicle.  

I've sold hundreds of these to satisfied customers who can attest to the high quality and FAST shipping!  But don't take my word for it.  Just check my feedback.  

Compatible Car List:

For use with 6t to 20t pinions (20t pinion requires enlarging the hole into gearbox)
Note: the use of gears 6t through 10t will limit suspension travel.

•    Blackfoot
    •    Frog
    •    Monster Beetle
    •    Subaru Brat
    •    Mud Blaster
    •    Lancia Rally

For use with 16t to 22t pinions (20t to 22t pinions require enlarging the hole into gearbox)

•    Hornet
    •    Super Hornet
    •    Grasshopper
    •    Grasshopper II
    •    Lunchbox
    •    Midnight Pumpkin
    •    Unimog 406 Wheelie (CW- 01)

Getting ready for a speed event next weekend. Need a few more things and hope to test Good Friday.

EF267BD2-1960-441B-99B6-7A7B9491BFF0.jpeg

EC2BD992-3E90-468C-9812-DDFBAF99389E.jpeg

5587A75C-56B0-4A1D-8AC4-5E959A7D61A9.jpeg

595D5381-5907-4161-965F-C3DD5D1D76C5.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Andy and Jason! I was wrong it is a 18T Pinion not a 19T, I updated my post. It fits perfectly if you don't use the motor mount in the kit for the long 10T pinion. You just bolt the motor right in by itself with the 18T, it's an old trick I learned back in the day when putting a 540 in a Grasshopper. I will attached a picture without the gear cover.

The front end will stay down but you have to be very gradual with the throttle. If it is not windy today I'm going to try again. I hit 40.3 in the test run before the video, you can see it on the GPS before I reset it in the video. The only other bad thing is the wheels and tires are very out of balance it shakes like crazy it's kinda funny to watch LOL!

DSCN3017.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Ems, good trick to know.. so only the 18t pinion fits this way, can’t use , say, a 15 or 22t pinion I guess as it’s a fixed motor position right?

What pitch is the 18t pinion used?

Yep fixed position. I don't think others will fit without modification to the gearbox.  It's 32 pitch and just meshes perfectly, not too tight not too loose.

• Thanks 1

Yes that will be the stock 18t pinion from a re-re Hornet then, it was made to go in there!

Conversely I actually fitted the 360 motor from the grass hopper in my Hornet when I first rebuilt for my son to learn with the other cars were too fast, he has improved a bit since then though!

Jason - yes I had spotted that very thing you linked there, looks interesting but I’ll be just using that 18t for the time being. 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Yes that will be the stock 18t pinion from a re-re Hornet then, it was made to go in there!

Conversely I actually fitted the 360 motor from the grass hopper in my Hornet when I first rebuilt for my son to learn with the other cars were too fast, he has improved a bit since then though!

Jason - yes I had spotted that very thing you linked there, looks interesting but I’ll be just using that 18t for the time being. 

Yeah I would give the 18t one a go too first... then if After more speed might look at that linked item. 

Im trying to find a lexan Pumpkin shell for a runner but can’t!

Well I got 40.2MPH/64.6KMH today, I think this is the max for this setup. Traxxas Velion Brushless system, 18T pinion, Full Ball Bearings, Vintage See's aluminum Blackfoot wheels with stock tires, wheelie bar flipped upside down, 7.4V 30C 4000mah Lipo battery. 40MPH/64.3KMH

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, emspjay said:

Well I got 40.2MPH/64.6KMH today, I think this is the max for this setup. Traxxas Velion Brushless system, 18T pinion, Full Ball Bearings, Vintage See's aluminum Blackfoot wheels with stock tires, wheelie bar flipped upside down, 7.4V 30C 4000mah Lipo battery. 40MPH/64.3KMH

Emspjay, nice run! It take a lot of courage to run a nice shell complete with roll bar and lights at those speeds.

Seems like you are still pulling wheelies even at high speed so I wonder if a few ounces of weight up front (maybe strapped to the bumper) might give you a few more mph (at the cost of needing more room to get up to speed). 

I don’t know where your esc and receiver are located but I moved mine as far forward as possible. Every bit of weight shifted forward helps a bit. 

How are your tires doing? What held me back was ballooning. Those big tires leave a lot to be desired compared to foams. 

Are you going up to 3s next? Amazing speed on a 2s setup. The traxxas system is 3500 kv if I recall and I used to run it on 3s.

4 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

Emspjay, nice run! It take a lot of courage to run a nice shell complete with roll bar and lights at those speeds.

Seems like you are still pulling wheelies even at high speed so I wonder if a few ounces of weight up front (maybe strapped to the bumper) might give you a few more mph (at the cost of needing more room to get up to speed). 

I don’t know where your esc and receiver are located but I moved mine as far forward as possible. Every bit of weight shifted forward helps a bit. 

How are your tires doing? What held me back was ballooning. Those big tires leave a lot to be desired compared to foams. 

Are you going up to 3s next? Amazing speed on a 2s setup. The traxxas system is 3500 kv if I recall and I used to run it on 3s.

Thank you! Some how I have managed to keep this thing right side up LOL! Yep I still getting the wheels up It's a little windy again today, I only made a few passes in the video with the wheels down. ESC and receiver are in the middle. Yes the back tires are ballooning big time. I might try 3s next but I think I will for sure have to add some weight up front. I have a Traxxas system in my DT02 and ran that on 3s for that speed run.

I just watched your video 48.5MPH!! That is awesome! 6s! That is crazy I have a boat that runs on 6s.

1 hour ago, emspjay said:

Thank you! Some how I have managed to keep this thing right side up LOL! Yep I still getting the wheels up It's a little windy again today, I only made a few passes in the video with the wheels down. ESC and receiver are in the middle. Yes the back tires are ballooning big time. I might try 3s next but I think I will for sure have to add some weight up front. I have a Traxxas system in my DT02 and ran that on 3s for that speed run.

I just watched your video 48.5MPH!! That is awesome! 6s! That is crazy I have a boat that runs on 6s.

Yes you are doing very well keeping the front down! We just gave my Hornet a try with Blackfoot wheels on the back but it just keeps doing back flips trying to get on the power. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

I just tried to kill two birds with one stone but did not work out well. I tried 3s with weight up front, a huge 11.1v 6000MAH 65c 3s battery strapped up front. That is a brand new battery I got for Christmas for one of my boats LOL! This is way TOO MUCH power I could not keep the front wheels down even around half throttle! I had my first crash, broke all the body mounts as usual when you crash one of these. I got a video of my first run that I spun the pinion on and it was 42.8MPH. And some pictures of crash damage from second run but no video but GPS was 43.3MPH (not official due to no video). Not too much damage to body just one light and the back of the bed and front bumper.

DSCN3018.JPG

DSCN3019.JPG

DSCN3020.JPG

DSCN3021.JPG

DSCN3022.JPG

DSCN3023.JPG

DSCN3024.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, emspjay said:

I tried 3s with weight up front, a huge 11.1v 6000MAH 65c 3s battery strapped up front.

Pretty cool!

That is a HUGE battery. For my speed run I was running two 3s 1200 mah packs wired in series, so call that about 1/3 of the battery you have. I had those cells mounted in the stock location, and I used a small battery pack strapped to the front bumper for weight (don't recall if I used that for the official run or not).

I am surprised the truck was able to wheelie with so much weight over the front tires. I assume you don't have a smaller 3s pack at this time.... but for speed runs using a high discharge pack with low capacity seems to work well for me (I just do a few passes and then try to make more tweaks).

• Like 1

For more weight over the front, strap the Lipo width ways , on the front bumper  🖒

I tried the frog pinion in a lunchbox bitd and burnt the resistor out on the msc (I know , I should have been on full throttle 😞) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

but for speed runs using a high discharge pack with low capacity seems to work well for me (I just do a few passes and then try to make more tweaks).

Ah I’ve been eyeing up 3s packs  & was wondering how that would work out, thanks! I’d rather keep the battery in the stock location but a lot of the older cars are obviously very restrictive on size.

I don’t think I’ve quite maxed out the 2s yet though...

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I tried the frog pinion in a lunchbox bitd and burnt the resistor out on the msc (I know , I should have been on full throttle 😞) 

I had a nice (I guess quite early) ESC that took a lot of my pocket money to buy. So it ran my Lunch box with a silver can & the 18t, but as I recall it could hardly pull a wheely & the low capacity nicad went flat so quick it wasn’t worth it. 

I still have my old speed run motors from back in the day, the Team Tanaplan is a 17T double, that’s the one I tried to use in my Blackfoot but as I said it couldn’t even move the truck with the 18t pinion in & the old nicads, we are spoilt with todays batterys!

It ran well in my Hornet though. 

AA0BF9DA-F181-4B5E-A5F7-EE4AA5C09D23.jpeg

• Like 3

The bigger wheels on Thunder Shot just resulted a big crash & snapped a suspension mount off the front gear box, so thats on the side lines again now. So we got the old Hornet back out again

But I had to resort to a new chassis this time, it got trodden on! I got a new lot of plastex but then saw how cheep a chassis was and decided to save the plastex. Its still running the original body. Unfortunately the run with Blackfoot wheels made it back flip & just about split that in two! 

Still we did get a bit of a speed run in with little wheels. 

Only difference from a stock Hornet being a 3rd shock (in the thread linked above)

Stock sized “Sand Blaster” tyres

2s lipo

4300kv motor

25mph 40kph

I kept wiping out badly when trying to slow down & my boy is still struggling to get used to fine tuning the steering trims, he still managed to get this fastest run in though. Once we get it going & stopping in a straight line it should go a bit faster. The videos are good as you can go back & see what was going wrong. The urgency to get out of the way of 1:1s does make for a few crashes though! 

We were rushing against failing light & wanting to try a run with the Blackfoot wheels, its only really Sundays the main road is quiet enough to use...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I had a nice (I guess quite early) ESC that took a lot of my pocket money to buy.

I think I had a futaba 112b at the time in my Ultima, and at around £50 ,was alot of papers to deliver!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

The bigger wheels on Thunder Shot just resulted a big crash & snapped a suspension mount off the front gear box, so thats on the side lines again now. So we got the old Hornet back out again

But I had to resort to a new chassis this time, it got trodden on! I got a new lot of plastex but then saw how cheep a chassis was and decided to save the plastex. Its still running the original body. Unfortunately the run with Blackfoot wheels made it back flip & just about split that in two! 

Still we did get a bit of a speed run in with little wheels. 

Only difference from a stock Hornet being a 3rd shock (in the thread linked above)

Stock sized “Sand Blaster” tyres

2s lipo

4300kv motor

25mph 40kph

I kept wiping out badly when trying to slow down & my boy is still struggling to get used to fine tuning the steering trims, he still managed to get this fastest run in though. Once we get it going & stopping in a straight line it should go a bit faster. The videos are good as you can go back & see what was going wrong. The urgency to get out of the way of 1:1s does make for a few crashes though! 

We were rushing against failing light & wanting to try a run with the Blackfoot wheels, its only really Sundays the main road is quiet enough to use...

Great run! I think it has more in it with your setup, just need to get a good long run without dealing with traffic.

• Like 1

Tamiya Ford Focus TL-01

Futaba MC230CR ESC

Silver Can

Floureon 7.2V NiMh 3500mAh

Standard Gears, 19T Pinion

Top Speed 25.8 kmh /16.0 mph

I realised I didn't film the motor to prove it's a silver can, so it probably needs to go in the 4 wheel drive section.

KP

• Like 2

One for the Non-Tamiya list.

Associated RC18T

Mamba 25 ESC

Mamba CM2068 6800Kv

GensAce 7.4V 1550mAh 25C

Max Speed 40.0 kmh / 24.9 mph

I can't remember the gearing, only that when I put it together I wasn't interested in top speed, so it has a pretty small pinion/large spur. 

KP

• Like 2

So I have new body mounts ordered, but I just epoxied the broken ones back together as I want to try another 3s run this week. This time I will be using my smaller 9 year old 3s Lipo pack that I used on my DT02 run, but it's strapped to the bumper on the pumpkin since it won't fit in the normal spot. Here is a picture of the setup, the video for the run will be later this week pending weather.

DSCN3025.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keracticus Pots said:

Tamiya Ford Focus TL-01

It may not be the fastest time on the board, but I gotta give you credit for the fastest video yet. Right to the point in 16 seconds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3