Tamiya Hornet 

RWD

Standard tyres

Standard 18t pinion

4300kv 

3s lipo

43.4mph, 69.8kph

Very pleased with that :)

As much of my 32 year old first car there as possible, the body glued back together fine & stood up to all the crashing! The only mods are cross bolted gearbox / rear suspension mounts (to stop the chassis snapping at the back) & a third shock. 

It got 31mph with the 2s, better than the last try on the road at 25mph, it seems to like sand better! 

I tried it with the Blackfoot wheels but it was really hard to keep under control & ended up in the very wet sand, the 2s speed did go up from 31mph to 35mph but we didn’t try with the 3s we felt we were pushing our luck a little (I thought it seemed nice to leave fastest run being one with its proper kit wheels & tyres too). The crashes on sand are a lot kinder to the car but we kept losing the speed tracking phone & it took ages to find on such a big beach! I was in a hurry to get a good few runs in with my Blackfoot before my better half got fed up waiting also. Funnily enough Blackfoot was fine at those speeds with the very same wheels. Maybe it’s because they were only on the back of Hornet, maybe its because Hornet is so much lighter than Blackfoot, don’t know. The little clips of it back flipping at the end are obviously exaggerating the big wheel issues, but gives some idea.

Dammit! Now I’ve got to go change my signature as I no longer have the fastest Hornet... you shame my 32MPH effort... I curse the day you found this thread... right... that’s it... exexcutive decision = your banned!

ROFL

Forgive me if I take me sweet time to update this run! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Edit : just checked my Hornet run and that was a 20t brushed motor on 3s lipo with stock wheels... I should go dig it out and try to push it further now :) ( but I won’t)

7 hours ago, emspjay said:

Awesome run Andy!!! Especially since you did it in the sand and not a perfect road!! I have owned 2 grasshoppers and 1 Hornet, kinda regret selling those now.

Thanks, it’s quite a special kind of sand though, as you can see in the back ground regular road going  1:1s are able to drive on it no problem. There are a few unexpected bumps that do catch the Hornet out though, I just caught it passing us on the front wheels only, at high speed it can cover quite a distance like that at these speeds! 

With the correct tyres the rear end just steps out hitting the power hard, shame the diff putty can’t work on these older cars!

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Edit : just checked my Hornet run and that was a 20t brushed motor on 3s lipo with stock wheels... I should go dig it out and try to push it further now :) ( but I won’t)

Ah thanks for letting us bask in our glory!

(EDIT: I just told my driver / 8 year old son what your previous fastest speed was & he answered “what battery & motor did that have in it?” he’s learning fast! He was a little disappointed to hear it was a totally fair fight 😉)

I think I may try the Scorcher with 3s & the silver can as it’s running 21mph with 2s. But before I go buying an ESC just for that & risk lots of damage. Can you accept Scorchers in the silver can category? Just obviously it’s very hard to see much of the motor in them. 

• Like 1

Okay, new season starts. Here is my speedrun on the TR-15T.

80km/h <> 49,7mp/h
Engine: LRP Z.18S Spec2
Gear Ratio: 1:7,1 <> 18/64 (original)
Tyres: HPI 4450 - Truck V Groove Tire Pro 2.2 (rear)
           #9804577 Tamyia Stock Tires - Tarmac (front)

:ph34r:

https://a-tom.org/tc/TR-18T_speedrun.mp4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Ah thanks for letting us bask in our glory!

(EDIT: I just told my driver / 8 year old son what your previous fastest speed was & he answered “what battery & motor did that have in it?” he’s learning fast! He was a little disappointed to hear it was a totally fair fight 😉)

I think I may try the Scorcher with 3s & the silver can as it’s running 21mph with 2s. But before I go buying an ESC just for that & risk lots of damage. Can you accept Scorchers in the silver can category? Just obviously it’s very hard to see much of the motor in them. 

I've never had a Scorcher so have no idea how concealed the motors are in them.... but as long as no one objects then I don't see a problem.

As for your esc, you can buy a Hobbywing 1060 for about £18 in the UK which handles brushed motors down to 12 turn when used with 3s lipo ... that should get your silver can nice and toasty for a speed run. (what esc is already fitted than handle the 2s lipo at 21MPH then?)

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/electric-power/electronic-speed-controllers/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-sbec-esc-60a

21 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I've never had a Scorcher so have no idea how concealed the motors are in them.... but as long as no one objects then I don't see a problem.

As for your esc, you can buy a Hobbywing 1060 for about £18 in the UK which handles brushed motors down to 12 turn when used with 3s lipo ... that should get your silver can nice and toasty for a speed run. (what esc is already fitted than handle the 2s lipo at 21MPH then?)

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/electric-power/electronic-speed-controllers/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-sbec-esc-60a

We did make a video so that’s the easiest way for you to see:

RWD

Silver can

20t pinion 

2s lipo

21.2mph, 34.1kph

See if you think that is acceptable. 

The motor is just the one that came with the G6-01, I assume its a regular 540. The GF-01 had a big sticker on the kit box saying a Torque tuned motor was included & it has a torque tuned sticker on it. The G6 made no mention of the motor & it had no sticker, but it did look otherwise much like the torque tuned. But then they do look just like a 540! 

It got exactly the same speed with a nimh battery, I guess it’s just the tall gearing. The kit comes with either a 15t or 20t pinion but you can’t move the motor so you change the spur gear to a smaller one, 70t for the 15t & 65t for the 20t so it makes a big difference. The motor gets quite toasty with just a 2s lipo bashing though the sand dunes! 

The esc is just the one I use with all my bashers https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/mtroniks-auto-sport-tuned-brushed-electronic-speed-controller-p-24574.html

mainly because it’s totally waterproof. Thanks for the link to the 3s safe one :)

• Like 2

So I tried another run with my Pumpkin yesterday and it was still going into thermal shutdown with the new fan. I tried to get it up to speed faster and had a bad crash, I didn't break any body mounts but the body got scratched bad and I messed up one of the See's wheels a little. So I pulled the See's wheels off and put the original plastic wheels on. They are 4 ounces lighter so I hope the less rotating mass will stop the thermal shutdown problem. If not I will need to get an adjustable motor mount and try a 17t pinion. The good thing is my F104 Pro II showed up today! Super excited about that!

DSCN3037.JPG

• Like 3

On 06/04/2018 at 11:02 AM, Andyrt200 said:

We did make a video so that’s the easiest way for you to see:

RWD

Silver can

20t pinion 

2s lipo

21.2mph, 34.1kph

Andy I just noticed you already have the Sand scorcher entered in position 24 at 23.3 MPH -  (I have now added it in the "Silver can" entry for this 21.2MPH run

RWD Section - 

24 - Andyrt200 - Sand Scorcher - 23.3 MPH 37.5 KPH (video page 79)

RWD other brands entry. Vintage Associated RC10L Graphite pan car. All vintage except 2s 4000mah battery. Vintage Associated 24degree East Edinger off road stock motor from a vintage RC10 buggy. Vintage Novak T-4ESC. Stock 32pitch spur gear with 18T Pinion gear. Original dry rotted cracked wheels and tires. 28.6MPH/46.02KPH

DSCN3038.JPG

DSCN3042.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Andy I just noticed you already have the Sand scorcher entered in position 24 at 23.3 MPH -  (I have now added it in the "Silver can" entry for this 21.2MPH run

RWD Section - 

24 - Andyrt200 - Sand Scorcher - 23.3 MPH 37.5 KPH (video page 79)

Thanks, yes the scorcher was the first car we tried out for speed runs, it was with my old 3300kv & 2s setup, it was very hard to get the power down, that system had a programming card I tried the punch setting on min but it still tended to go sideways as soon as you hit the power. It ended up with a nasty crash, so I went back to a silver can for it. If I had that on the beach with spiked tyres I'm sure it would have run a better top speed. The silver can means the tyres are much harder to spin so its much easier to get it up to the max speed.

I will get the Super Blackfoot rebuilt next, that should run a better speed with the 4300kv & 3s! 

• Like 1

Offical entry, original Blackfoot

ORV chassis with "that gearbox" & my mods

RWD

4300kv

3s lipo 

Later Blackfoot / Moster Beetle tyres

17t pinion

45.4mph, 73.1kph

I found out why it didn't run with an 18t pinion BITD, it doesn't fit! Well, it kind of does if you jam it in, I must have done that in a hurry to get it to school to show my mates, but it's so tight it won't even turn by hand never mind by the motor. The instruction manuals being online now is very useful I was checking the frogs manual for the correct placement of O rings on the drive shafts & noticed that comes with three different pinion sizes, 16, 18 & 19. However like the scorcher nothing can be moved so you need a smaller counter gear for the larger pinions. The counter gear the Blackfoot comes with is the largest & needs a 16t pinion to fit the motor directly to the gearbox (not using the Blackfoot motor spacer & 10t). Unfortunately, it was the day before we were leaving for the beach holiday I discovered this as the strengthing work had taken so long. I searched my parts box & found an old 17t that was quite worn down, that had to do, it was quite noisy to start with but got better quickly:unsure:

I gave it a test drive with a silver can first, but the motor just got really hot quickly & the top speed was only 12mph, about the same as it was with a 10t in it! 

I was hoping to be able to compare speeds with my Parma body & the original that has no windows, but the fiberglass repairs I made when I was a kid to the front end were starting to come apart & I didn't want to do any more damage. The Parma body is better being lighter so helps stop it rolling when cornering, but they are nothing like as tough as Tamiya bodies, it's been repaired more time than my original now!

It took a lot of work to get it this far, I was pleased my mods took the power, I have put the details of them here:

I'm now thinking about getting the other frog gear sets if we go back to that beach again.... 

• Like 2

I was going to add the link to the mods after but I can't edit it for some reason, so here it is 

I can’t spell for toffee at the best of times but just noticed my incorrect spelling of challenging is captured in the still of the speed run video the link chose:wacko:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated

Thank you! I had another epic fail yesterday trying to beat my Pumpkin record so I wanted to redeem myself and try to get something else on the list. That was the first time I ran that RC10L since I got it. I tried to run the Pumpkin again with the stock wheels but I did not glue the tires to the wheels and that ended up in a epic crash! Body, mounts, GPS, and tires going all different directions! Wish I would have got it on video! HAHA! Ordered two sets of E-parts this time.

• Like 2

Lists updated 

@emspjay solid effort on the Pumpkin but seriously... don’t you think you should stop trying to wreck it!!!!  ( and the faster you go the harder mine will be to beat it... so retire it already lol!)

@Andyrt200 solid work too... your boy was pretty close with his 50MPH guess before the speedo showed 45MPH... to this day I always over guess the speed from eyesight before the GPS corrects me... tell him he’s completely normal ;)I think that makes 6 of your cars on the list now?

• Like 2

@Jason1145 I'm having a blast running the Pumpkin! The only thing I regret is putting original decals on the re-re body, oh well at least we got MCI now for decals!

• Like 1

@Jason1145 I still have Thunder Shots beach run video to get ready & enter, but that won’t change the total of cars.

We may stick the 4300kv in the CR-01 Rock Socker though for a laugh, it won’t be breaking an records it, only does about 6mph with a silver can in it! 

My boy was keen to stick it in his CC-01 but I just spent ages sealing in the motor to make it all as water proof as possible for him & don’t really want to pull that all out just yet.  

@emspjay Tyres coming off are a bit of a theme, that’s the cause most of our crashes! Thanks for the MCI tip my Parma Blackfoot body could do with some better decals. 

• Like 2

Tamiya Boomerang 4wd modified

43.99 mph

3s lipo Battery, fully ballraced, 17t pinion gear

9t brushless motor

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Devonnick said:

43.99 mph

9t brushless motor

Nice run, makes me miss my old Boomerang, is that a re-re? It looks lovely.

I almost got another but decided to rebuild an old Thunder Shot I had knocking about instead. I think I’m running about the same setup in it now if 9t = 4300kv. I need to get my 3s run posted up ;) 

It got 38mph with 2s, did you try a 2s run? 

3 hours ago, Devonnick said:

43.99 mph

9t brushless motor

Great run!!

F104 Pro II chassis built, Duratrax 3900KV Brushless system, stock 93t spur and 25t pinion. Will probably take me a week or two to finish the body and run it.

DSCN3052.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Nice run, makes me miss my old Boomerang, is that a re-re? It looks lovely.

I almost got another but decided to rebuild an old Thunder Shot I had knocking about instead. I think I’m running about the same setup in it now if 9t = 4300kv. I need to get my 3s run posted up ;) 

It got 38mph with 2s, did you try a 2s run? 

Hi Andy

Thanks for the interest, yes it is 2008 version bought a month ago.

I did do a 2s run and reached 35.55.

On a 3s I am pretty sure on a longer road this will near 50 mph as the gps used takes a while to record max speed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emspjay said:

Great run!!

Not bad for a novice eh.

Did cut the video short though as car did take a few knocks and flips lol.

• Like 1