Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

Official re-entry 

Blackfoot Xtream 

RWD

20t pinion

Stock wheels & tyres (spikes sanded off) 

5200kv motor 

3s lipo

37.7mph, 60.7kph

(4300kv 34mph run on page 84)

Just testing the new motor really. I wanted something easy to drive that wasn’t going to tax the ESC too much.

Even with bent to badword drive shafts & every suspension joint horribly worn it still just tanks along perfectly straight.

To ease the ESC & motor in I did a first test run with the 18t pinion & that got 33.8mph last week, but after a couple of rolls put a few scratches in it I had to fix the old body enough to use I couldn’t bear to use my daughters body anymore, I’d spent weeks painting it! Just as well, on the run after he clipped the curb & ripped the side out of the old body! 

Good test for the new motor with my 60A esc though, we didn’t get anything remotely hot this time. I was a bit worried about running the new motor:

Hopefully it will push Thundershot a little bit more passed 50mph, if I can find somewhere to run it! 

I have ordered myself a TT02 Porsche too, it will be little while till its built, but the first run will of course be a speed run! No better way to test a new car is there Jason ;) 

• Like 5

Lists updated

Nice run Andy and yes that’s quite right!

Lookjng forward to the TShot still ;)

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, IoWBasher said:

Here's my 2nd Konghead G6-01 6WD speed entry. 33Mph/53.1Kph

With the dodgy receiver replaced I've got full range again so this is the max speed with this set up.

Running an Ansmann Xirius Race 8T/4400KV Motor. HPI Vapor Pro ESC. Gens Ace 6500Mah 65C 2S Battery. Standard kit tyres on Heavy Dump Truck rims (No inserts), and using a 20T pinion, I glued the tyres all around the rims rather than in a few spots to minimise ballooning.

I’m still blown away by you getting that on 2s. I forgot I had a 2s 5800mAh 60C battery so gave it a try with the new 5200kv motor, it still only got about 23mph. I forget the exact speed but the main point was there was no difference at all to a 2s 4000mAh 25c battery! 

I wasn’t sure before but I now know my 4300kv & the new 5200kv GoolRC motors are both 4 pole, that’s a heck of a difference your 2pole makes! 

So as my new motor 5200kv motor gave my Blackfoot Xtream a good 3mph more over the 4300kv (now up to 37.7mph) I thought we would give it a try in the G6:

Official (re)entry 

Kong Head G6-01

6x6

Stock wheels & tyres

20t pinion

5200kv motor 

3s lipo

32.5mph or 52.3kph

Our previous best with the 4300kv was 31.8mph so very little different really. I’m sure I can hear the tyres rubbing on that run. Our previous run with Blackfoot Xtream was on the same road, running the very same 20t pinion, much the same gear box (less a few cogs!) very similar spikeless tyres, there is a notable difference in top speed sound. The noise the rubbing makes is very obvious at the end of that video (I could smell the burning rubber too!). I double checked & reglued the tyres, the rubbing is if anything worse in this video (with the faster motor). 

I think 32 / 33mph is the max for the stock tyres, actually if you look at low bashers run on p88 his GPS doesn’t show decimal places, so maybe 32.5mph is the absolute max & his GPS is just rounding up ;) 

We won’t be trying speed runs with the G6 anymore, you may noticed a lot of the chrome work is missing now! Its a nightmare to keep under control with 3s, he didn’t drive into the curb at the end of the run, it veered off by its self, you can see the constant corrections he was having to make in the main run. We needed to find a sweet spot with the steering D/R so he could make so many mid run full speed corrections without them resulting in it flipping over. The problem then is shown when he can’t make the slow turn to get out of the way of the oncoming 1:1s! 

Odd really as it has exactly the same suspension & shocks as the Blackfoot Xtream (as I made it wide with the same parts) but all 3 RWD Blackfoots we ran drive very well at high speeds on any suitable surface. The narrow front end & short wheel base 4x4 GF01 was just impossible to drive at all on 3s. Seems to be a bit of a theme, The 4x4 & 6x6 were great on the hard sand of the beach but seem to be a bit of a handful on nice smooth warm tarmac, all running the same tyres on both surfaces. (The RWD Hornet & Scorcher were near impossible to drive on very cold tarmac with block type tyres & great on sand with spikes, but that’s no real comparison)

Thinking about it I now realise Thundershot was was much harder to drive after that beach run on cool tarmac, but it had taken quite a beating, it’s full rebuild is almost there, I just hope it will be ok for the new motor on warm tarmac, if I can find a long enough stretch! 

If not the Frog gear set is just about installed in my original Blackfoot now, it’s quite a step up in gearing from the last 45mph run :) 

• Like 3

Finally did a short test run of my F104 Pro, sorry no vid or GPS yet. It is a handful with the 3900KV Duratrax system! Never even got to full throttle!! Rear tires started to come unglued so I stopped running it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I’m still blown away by you getting that on 2s. I forgot I had a 2s 5800mAh 60C battery so gave it a try with the new 5200kv motor, it still only got about 23mph. I forget the exact speed but the main point was there was no difference at all to a 2s 4000mAh 25c battery! 

I wasn’t sure before but I now know my 4300kv & the new 5200kv GoolRC motors are both 4 pole, that’s a heck of a difference your 2pole makes! 

As were using different equipment made by different manufacturers, it's difficult to make a direct comparison.

I'll be doing the speed runs again for the Konghead and T3-01 with a new to me Lezyne Mini GPS speedo. this does show decimal places 😉

• Like 1

Business as usual for me :lol:  My new spot is unfortunately no good as the band of good road is too narrow and there are lots of stones.  I managed to do a couple of 80+ runs but both had tumbles on the slow down and I ended up destroying the foams and taking a nice chunk out the motor casing :(  

I was out at the usual spot yesterday and my M05's front tyres let go the first time I went past half throttle. 

20180520_202056

My first run with the TB Evo had an interesting end but I soldered it back up and tried again!  I pulled a 94Mph pass with a mediocre run up and went to go again but a rear shock dropped it's spring cap (unsure correct name), it went flying and broke a C-hub which ended my fun.   My friend has the run on his phone so I need to get it before I can post it up but will do.

20180520_153228

• Like 5

Here's my latest run (and official re-entry) with the Konghead, same set up as before but using a Lezyne Mini GPS Speedo to give a more accurate reading than the phone i was using. Also its small and light so will fit on my F103 that I got from Jason ;)

So as previous runs it's running an Ansmann Xirius Race 8T/4400KV Motor. HPI Vapor Pro ESC. Gens Ace 6500Mah 65C 2S Battery. Standard kit tyres on Heavy Dump Truck rims (No inserts), and using a 20T pinion, I glued the tyres all around the rims rather than in a few spots to minimise ballooning.

Konghead_Speed_Run_2.jpg

Tamiya_Konghead_Speed_Run_3.jpg

Achieved 36.2MPH/52.5KPH

Tamiya_Konghead_Speed_Run_1.jpg

Also here's a video to show the tyres ballooning and a quick bash, it's a bit of a hand-full, so I will be putting a TBL02S esc and a Speed Passion 13.5t motor in for future bashing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IoWBasher said:

Also here's a video to show the tyres ballooning and a quick bash, it's a bit of a hand-full, so I will be putting a TBL02S esc and a Speed Passion 13.5t motor in for future bashing.

Very interesting, your tyres don’t rub anything like as badly as mine, I added the rubbing on to the end of my main video, mine were removing significant amounts of rubber from each other! Mine are glued very firmly all the way round too. I have got the wide arms from a WT01, maybe that exaggerates the play in the joints causing them to rub more. (I just noticed the centre lower suspension joint has a fair bit more more play than the front & rear. That one was odd as it didn’t have a proper hole for the pivot screw/rod, just that slot you have to put a blank into the back of. I assume something to do with them not being able to slide anything out of that part after moulding.)

Edit - Having just watched both our rubbing videos back to back I see my wheels have a lot more play than yours. The rub marks my tyres left on each other are not at all even.

Anyhow that’s still an even more amazing speed for a 2s run! Is your 2 pole motor a bit lumpy at low speeds? Its a great bit of kit for speed running! 

But yes its much better with a little less power, I will be running with the 18t pinion, my 4300kv & 2s giving me about 20mph for normal use now. 

2 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Anyhow that’s still an even more amazing speed for a 2s run! Is your 2 pole motor a bit lumpy at low speeds? Its a great bit of kit for speed running! 

It has slight cogging if trying to pull away on minimal throttle but not too bad,  It will be going in a few cars for speed runs, a CC-01 Bug being next ;) and I've yet to try it on 3S !!

I see what you mean about the tyre rubbing and play, that'll rob speed for sure.

Also as you know just getting a sustained stable full speed run with no weaving/crashing is challenging with the standard tyres. Obviously the latest run of mine was the best yet, but I still reckon there's more with a longer flat out run.

2 hours ago, IoWBasher said:

It has slight cogging if trying to pull away on minimal throttle but not too bad,  It will be going in a few cars for speed runs, a CC-01 Bug being next ;) and I've yet to try it on 3S !!

My sons CC01 was the one car we hadn’t run (I’ve just bought a TT02 that will be running).  The CC01 is all set up to run in deep water/mud & to be good a crawling so I was reluctant to strip all that out. If you’re going to run one with that motor I’m glad I didn’t bother! Looking forward to seeing that run & if you have any issues with the rear axle twisting. Big power 1:1s can have problems with the torque from the prop pushing one side of the axle down, so it always spins the other rear wheel. Our CR01 was clearly  exhibiting that effect, but it has a locked diff its & has such low gearing my motors couldn’t get it over 20mph anyway!

Also looking forward to seeing what happens with 3s!! 

My GoolRC 4 pole motors are incredibly smooth at very low speeds, no difference to a brushed motor, except they can happily & smoothly move the very highly geard up Blackfoot with a 17t pinion. A normal 540 just got very hot in that with the 17t & it was slower than with the standard 10t pinion. 

My last much older brushless setup was really lumpy at low speeds, so much so that it often just couldn’t get a higher (but in the stock range) geared car to move off from a stand still if you were off road.

I’m not saying that would be the case with your motor, it was just what I found with my old probably rather worn out motor. Your motor is clearly has a much higher top speed than my 4 poles! I think you did say it was much more biased towards TopSpeed though. 

It seems prehaps two pole motors are more like 4 cylinder screaming superbike engines vers 4 poles being more like a big lazy V8....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated (IOW Basher - I corrected your KPH speed)

It's not letting me edit my post now, so to confirm my new top speed for the Konghead was 36.2MPH/58.25KPH (still showing 33MPH on the list)

• Thanks 1

Here's my first speed run with my CC-01 Bug (4wd category) that I'm building up. I'll do a build thread when it's finished.

Running an Ansmann Xirius Race 8T/4400KV Motor. HPI Vapor Pro ESC. Floureon 2S 5200Mah 30C 2S Battery. 1/10 Buggy Tarmac tyres (from a Ansmann Hot Rod), and using a 20T pinion.

It was a very limited run as it started raining, also I've got to unlock the rear diff, and have some setting up to do. I've also got to find a more suitable location, but it still achieved 32.5MPH/52.3KPH. there's way more to come.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 5

@Andyrt200 have you looked up ways to stop ballooning tyres... such as taping from the inside or fishing line on the outside to constrict any expansion at speed? I used strong rubbber O-rings before on 1/8 MT’s when getting up to 50MPH as like your Konghead they just start swerving all over the place once they have 1cm of tread in contact with the road... like plate edges.

• Like 2

@IoWBasher good run but as it toppled at the end it can’t be counted... it could’ve got a higher reading during a particularly vicious speed flip over.

I actually need to find one of my entries as it flipped too and Id forgotten about it but still entered it ( if anyone knows pls tell me)

Otherwise this opens it up to all crash entries, the runs need to be clean.

As an aside... I’m on the Isle of Wight today for a short bank holiday break with wife and daughter... going Blackgang Chine today as it’s stopped raining now until atleast 4pm so should be a good day, been here before many times.

I only brought my Turnigy 2WD SCT with me and already drove it around my holiday home car park on loose dusty gravel it was great fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

@IoWBasher good run but as it toppled at the end it can’t be counted... it could’ve got a higher reading during a particularly vicious speed flip over.

I actually need to find one of my entries as it flipped too and Id forgotten about it but still entered it ( if anyone knows pls tell me)

Otherwise this opens it up to all crash entries, the runs need to be clean.

As an aside... I’m on the Isle of Wight today for a short bank holiday break with wife and daughter... going Blackgang Chine today as it’s stopped raining now until atleast 4pm so should be a good day, been here before many times.

I only brought my Turnigy 2WD SCT with me and already drove it around my holiday home car park on loose dusty gravel it was great fun.

Totally fair enough, i did wonder ;) 

Small world ain't it, enjoy your break, I used to play with my cars in the Blackgang car park, how's it looking for speed runs ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IoWBasher said:

Totally fair enough, i did wonder ;) 

Small world ain't it, enjoy your break, I used to play with my cars in the Blackgang car park, how's it looking for speed runs ?

It was pretty busy today and gorgeous weather, that car park is seriously downhill... wouldn’t have thought big enough for speed runs either... but smooth enough yes

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 8:09 AM, Jason1145 said:

@Andyrt200 have you looked up ways to stop ballooning tyres... such as taping from the inside or fishing line on the outside to constrict any expansion at speed? I used strong rubbber O-rings before on 1/8 MT’s when getting up to 50MPH as like your Konghead they just start swerving all over the place once they have 1cm of tread in contact with the road... like plate edges.

I had heard about tape, but that’s very hard after you have glued the tyres! 

The O rings sound like a good idea though. I guess they (or fishing line) would be best on tyres that had a bit if a block tread patten so they could slot in between the blocks so the the O rings didn’t actually contact the ground themselves? 

Thundershot & Blackfoot are both ready now, we’re going to take them on holiday this week, I think there may be some decent roads there. I’ll see how they run then.

Thats very interesting you said about the roll over not counting, the very first run we did with the CR-01 showed 19mph but it flipped at speed on that & I had stopped filming as it was too far to walk to bother about keeping the recording going on just the first run. We tried again many times again but it was a solid 17mph every time after that. I was beginning to think I had imagined that 19mph reading (as I hadn’t caught it on film) but it must have been the fast roll over. Thinking about it you’re quite right, if the GPS is on the top / side of a car it will accelerate faster as it is in the top half of the roll. 

Glad I’m not going crazy! 

@IoWBasher The CC01 bug looks good, I guess you are  sensibly holding off painting it till after speed running?!

The rear axle looks interesting, you’l have to link you build thread :)

It will be good to see how you find the unlocked diff too. 

• Like 1

@Andyrt200 Thank you, indeed I am waiting to paint it and after a few crashes today it's just as well :rolleyes: It was still all over the place with an unlocked diff, not unexpected really ! That's all the speed runs I'll be doing with it as I want to finish the build, it'll be set up a a Trailer looking something like this.

105_1830_1.jpg

Anyhow here's a 32.2 MPH/51.8 KPH run for the 4WD category, hopefully it's ok as I did end up "beached" in some long grass at the end. If not I've a clean 29 MPH run I can link to.

Running an Ansmann Xirius Race 8T/4400KV Motor. HPI Vapor Pro ESC. Floureon 2S 5200Mah 30C 2S Battery with a 20T pinion. Using standard CC-01 Pajero Lowrider wheels and tyres.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IoWBasher said:

it'll be set up a a Trailer looking something like this.

That’s a great picture of a 1:1 Baja bug with the correct front on ;)

All the others I’ve seen over the last 20 odd years have had the head lights in the wings...

• Like 1

Not much luck with speed running. Even after a full rebuild Thunder Shot is still very hard to drive fast on hard surfaces, it just pulls off to side as you accelerate. It looks like its the sudo steering rack arms, there is too much vertical movement in them. I put new arms on but the brass top hat must be worn. 

Blackfoot was perfect, but I didn’t have enough road, it takes longer to slow down than get up to speed! 

I thought we’d try the new TT02 with the protective cover still on the body. In totally stock form apart from bearings 25t pinion 68t counter & the 4300kv motor it was a bit of a handful, but ended with lots of smoke before any decent speed runs ☹️

At least my daughter caught it on video! (Skip to the end if you just want to see the smoke!)

• Like 1

Been a while since I've entered anything (🙄😂) , so thrown a 3s Lipo into the Novafox 😁

Tamiya Novafox, 1060 esc, 15t firebolt , 3s lipo.

66kph - 41 mph 

Not sure why the vid is squint!?!? Sorry.

Actually ran the Dark Impact with a 7700kv on 3s, made 61kph on almost half throttle, before it lit the tyres and spun 😕, dry road required..

• Like 4

Just incase anyone wonders what a 7700kv 3s Dark Impact on a wet road handles like....

• Like 4

Official re-entry

Blackfoot

RWD

GoolRC 4300kv 

3s lipo

Full Frog gear set with 19t pinion

Stock wheels & the MB spiked tyres (with spikes work off) 

48.9mph or 78.7kph

They may be a bit more in it, but we need to find somewhere with more space & no cars! 

Loads of other work gone into getting this fast, I just updated this with the latest frog gear set mods: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1