Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

Look at the old gal go! Great stuff!

Thought I give her a last run, get her up the board, before the original motor goes back in and she goes on eBay.😕

1 hour ago, Kingfisher said:

Don't forget the (W) for wet lap. :)

Just my luck! (Scotland after all though 😂

I was hoping to get a full pass with the Dark Imapct, but just not worth it in the wet, that's running almost double the KV's.

At 36 seconds I thought the loud scarywhoosh noise was an approaching car from behind you... turns out it was just a small tornado nearly uprooting the trees as it whizzed by... just a Scottish gentile breeze!

Nice Run in the wet, real men do it in all weathers! ;)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

just a Scottish gentile breeze!

Not even sure that's classed as a breeze 😂

50 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Nice Run in the wet, real men do it in all weathers! ;)

It's got to the stage when I'm thinking 3800kv on 3s is nothing, to run in a car, wet , wind, snow, aye , give it a shot! 😂

Didn't run the Dark Impact as it's useless on wet tarmac, and I'm too lazy to start trying to set the car up for wet running! 

Looking down the list, there's cars of mine that are now considerably quicker (K1 is running a 4.5t etc), so should really revisit those 🤔😀

(I've spelt , Marui, wrong, but wouldn't let me edit) 

We managed to get one last unexpected trip in to out favourite speed run beach. So did actually get a few decent runs in this time, Thundershots will follow but here’s Blackfoots for now. 

Official entry:

Original Blackfoot 

RWD 

5200kv 4 pole

3s lipo

19t pinion (frog gear set) 

49.1mph, 79.0kph

My rear suspension running on bearings is keeping the frog drive shafts in fine, but it sounded very much like the diff was slipping even with the frogshot M2.5 bolt mod, I think that robbed some speed but at least it ran this time! It just sounded worse on the runs after & didn’t go any faster so we had to stop.

• Like 4

Lists updated.

Great Run Andy, always good when the speed keeps increasing during a speed run attempt, that’s pretty fast for a RWD Monster Truck!

• Like 1

I went out testing the day before a ROSSA event... I had the throttle turn down to 40% just to test if the car was running straight with out the body.

D1E59D4C-B65D-48C1-8A86-95C62799EBA4.jpeg

EED6EC06-DC9F-4C92-8614-5B33043D1DAD.jpeg

FD048153-565E-4E85-AF5B-4AC70D3EE8AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, stew_mac said:

D1E59D4C-B65D-48C1-8A86-95C62799EBA4.jpeg

Something doesn't look quite right there mate! 😯

9 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

We managed to get one last unexpected trip in to out favourite speed run beach.

Looking like it's someone else's favourite play beach too! 😂

Great run,  👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Something doesn't look quite right there mate! 😯

Nah, I run it with 3 wheels.... less friction.

$9 part stopped me running at the ROSSA event today. 

My other speed car (Arrma Typhon first on the left) is not ready to run yet, so I wasted a meet.

8F7AE00A-E7EC-4DAD-BC63-25C6647025C5.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stew_mac said:

Nah, I run it with 3 wheels.... less friction.

Like a 3 point hyroplane, like your thinking 😉

It’s taken the best part of a year to actually get my Thundershot to drive properly at speed but I finally got there last weekend!

It’s been taking a heavy pounding every session, it needed all this after the last try

Vg9TPBt.jpg

Its only the blue suspension arms left from the car I started with! I was hoping the new wheels & tyres would help but as you can see from the first few clips on the video it was still bad. 

We tried running it first on the Saturday (the first clips) but decided to quit before it got broken again & concentrate on Blackfoot.

My boy was so pleased with Blackfoots run he really wanted to try Thundershot again, I’d about given up with it but luckily listen to him! So the next day he persuaded mum we should go back to the same beach. I took the high torque servo & saver out of Blackfoot & fitted those as the only play left in the steering was in the standard servo horn & saver. I also knocked up up a quick wing to try to give the rear a bit more stability, it worked a treat with a 55mph run on the first try! The only minor issue was keeping the front wheels down, but that was only when he was out running the dog! I have a bit of ally pressing the front bumper down that seems to keep the front down when you’re not accelerating too fast. It was just as well it didn’t roll, there was no way my “BluePeter” wing would have survived! 

Official entry:

Thunder Shot (Super Dragon body)

4x4

17t pinion 

5200kv 4 pole & GoolRC 60A esc (everything did get quite warm this time!) 

New Boomerang wheels & tyres all round. 

3s lipo

57.4mph or 92.4kph

(Previous best with 4300kv was 50.3 mph)

My boy was asking if there was a faster motor we could get as soon as we had that run in the bag! So I told him we will think about 4s over the winter...

• Like 5

A few speed run guys created Facebook page for Tamiya speed runs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602958430106827/

similar concept to this forum but based on battery size.... and on Facebook.  

2 hours ago, stew_mac said:

A few speed run guys created Facebook page for Tamiya speed runs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602958430106827/

similar concept to this forum but based on battery size.... and on Facebook.  

Can't find the page, what's the group's name?

• Like 1

Lists updated - Andy methinks you actually live next door to that beach, or on it?! 

That’s a very fast TShot.. I don’t think I can beat it :( ( I actually don’t think I have anywhere comfortable to run a car that goes past 50mph... I did hit 60mph with my DF02 but it was hairy as the road is only 5m wide with kerbs each side).

20 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated - Andy methinks you actually live next door to that beach, or on it?! 

That’s a very fast TShot.. I don’t think I can beat it :( ( I actually don’t think I have anywhere comfortable to run a car that goes past 50mph... I did hit 60mph with my DF02 but it was hairy as the road is only 5m wide with kerbs each side).

Thanks, yes as you said after our very first go with Tshot in a little carpark you need more space. Thanks hat beach is a bit special, as I’m sure a lot of people find it’s often the slowing down under control that is the problem. As you say its the curbs on roads that kill the cars as well as traffic you need to suddenly avoid! 

Its about 80 miles from our house down country roads so is driveable in a day but. Its much better if we are staying over as it gives time for over night tuning, I’d have never got that run in one day, as that the only place to safely test too! 

There is an industrial estate about half an hour away I may try Blackfoot at some time after I’ve rebuilt the gearbox again. 

I’m only going to keep Tshot & the BF as speed runners now, I should really put my TT-02 high speed gear sets up for sale...

• Like 1

I though I might add an official entry. 

Tamyia Hornet

2wd

goolrc 60amp esc

goolrc 4300kv motor

2s 

22t pinion

proline primes

40mph - 62.3kph

E1F7DC31-CF90-4FBA-A384-E6A20F71982A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, stew_mac said:

Tamyia Hornet

2wd

goolrc 60amp esc

goolrc 4300kv motor

2s 

22t pinion

proline primes

40mph - 62.3kph

Nice.

That's a tight place to run!! 

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Nice.

That's a tight place to run!! 

I know right! I just couldn’t wait to take it to a better spot.

with that setup I shouldn’t be looking at 48mph so 40mph in that sketchy little spot is not bad. 

Im heading out this Sunday with the TT02 (looking for 120mph+) so I might take the Hornet out too to stretch its legs. 

Next will be a 3s battery to try for 62mph.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stew_mac said:

Tamyia Hornet

2wd

goolrc 60amp esc

goolrc 4300kv motor

2s 

22t pinion

proline primes

40mph - 62.3kph

E1F7DC31-CF90-4FBA-A384-E6A20F71982A.jpeg

Sorry Stew this run can’t be recorded as it flipped over and the rules are it can give a false speedo reading.

This isn’t Nam, this is RC, there are rules! ;)

Im sure you’ll get a better run at your Rossa spot with it anyway, just make sure it doesn’t flip and it clearly shows zero at the start and top speed at the end, simple.

very valid point. 

all good. I'll give it a better run this weekend and see if i can get up to the calculated 48MPH mark. 

• Like 1

I am curious about this rule against flipping. My impression is that there are some members in this thread who performed several runs, often back to back, with and without flips, and reported no increase in speed during a flip. Some members reported lower speeds when a flip occurred. Is that the case?

Or are there some runs which demonstrate that flipping can increase the recorded speed? 

Given the number of runs that have been documented in this thread, it seems like we could make some observations about this question.

Note, I am not arguing that flips should be counted (it isn't a huge issue either way), I am just curious and it seems like we have 100 pages of empirical evidence we could use in the name of pseudo science ;)

• Like 1

I’ve seen it personally give an increase in speed, @Andyrt200 has also encountered this I believe... and I think in general it makes logical sense it can happen, if the speedo is slightly off Centre and it’s then propelled into a violent spin it can travel at a great speed than the central point which is what the true speed of the car is travelling at... if that makes sense.

I know there are other arguments involved etc but for ease of those it’s just been decided to have this rule... besides, it makes a nicer video without a fireball wreck at the end ;)

6 hours ago, stew_mac said:

very valid point. 

all good. I'll give it a better run this weekend and see if i can get up to the calculated 48MPH mark. 

Bring the 3s with you too and nab that 62MPH ;)

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I’ve seen it personally give an increase in speed, @Andyrt200 has also encountered this I believe... and I think in general it makes logical sense it can happen, if the speedo is slightly off Centre and it’s then propelled into a violent spin it can travel at a great speed than the central point which is what the true speed of the car is travelling at... if that makes sense.

I know there are other arguments involved etc but for ease of those it’s just been decided to have this rule... besides, it makes a nicer video without a fireball wreck at the end ;)

Bring the 3s with you too and nab that 62MPH ;)

Interesting point about the speedo being off center... the gps don’t work that way though the gps calculates the time a signal travels and returns from a satellite. Every satellite is set with the same time and buy sending and receiving signals from multiple satellites all with the same time but being received at different rates allows the GPS to calculate its position. Do this over and over and you can then track speed.

nether less as you crash and roll the position of the car changes rapidly and could throw out the calculations, hence giving a different speed reading.

way to much detail right?

at the end of the day the rules are the rules and I will submit again. No problem from my end, just gives me another reason to go play with the car.

• Like 1