Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

Took the type S out last night for its first shake down. not a bad pass for its second run. 
new Castle XLX esc, new blue hard chassis, droop screws and did a bit of work on the setup station. 

• Like 3

Got a new ESC in my F104 Silver can runner, it's good for up to 4s. I hope I can get to at least 40MPH on 3s but it might take 4s. Just need some good weather.

DSCN4041.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, stew_mac said:

Went out for a few more runs today. Tried a new road. 

You found a great spot for that!! I love that you get in your car and drive! But you must have to do that running over 100MPH!! That is so freaking COOL!!!

On 1/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, stew_mac said:

Went out for a few more runs today. Tried a new road. 

@stew_mac is this an official entry as it looks good but you didn't put all the headlining info required to enter it... if so pls do

5 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

@stew_mac is this an official entry as it looks good but you didn't put all the headlining info required to enter it... if so pls do

Ah it can be. But it’s modified and I’m the only one in that class anyway.

i went out to another road.... I shouldn’t have run there but still had a go. 

8 hours ago, emspjay said:

You found a great spot for that!! I love that you get in your car and drive! But you must have to do that running over 100MPH!! That is so freaking COOL!!!

Yeah I’m using 300m to get to speed. If you drive the car down you heat up the motor and waste the battery. So it’s better to drive and leave everything for the actual run. 

• Like 2

Hope this qualifies with the GoPro. I must say this thread has got me actually  messing with my cars instead of them collecting dust. 

Front wheel drive 

ff03

Matrix foams

37t pinion

65t spur 

2s

3.5motor hobbywing 10bl60 esc

50mph

• Like 2

@Group c

nice! I didn’t realise go pro could show speed like that, I’m hoping to have a go at some runs to get me back driving cars.. but need a way of measuring ok.. this could be the answer :) 👍

Just now, Mark3gti said:

@Group c

nice! I didn’t realise go pro could show speed like that, I’m hoping to have a go at some runs to get me back driving cars.. but need a way of measuring ok.. this could be the answer :) 👍

You’ll need a GoPro 5black or above Mark 

@Group c sorry I missed this entry ;)

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly... nice FF03! Glad you found another use for your RC with the speed runs, Something a bit different eh?

As for your run yeah I don't see why it can't be entered... it's the first time I've seen this method of recording the speed but it all looks legit to me... so unless someone points something out then it can stand.

I know one of the rules states the GPS must show zero at the beginning of the run but this just means we need to make sure the GPS hasn't already been run and registered a non verified high top speed before the run... so yeah... your entry doesn't foul that rule ;)

Good work.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2019 at 8:34 PM, Group c said:

Hope this qualifies with the GoPro. I must say this thread has got me actually  messing with my cars instead of them collecting dust. 

Front wheel drive 

ff03

Matrix foams

37t pinion

65t spur 

2s

3.5motor hobbywing 10bl60 esc

50mph

Just updating this as I made a mistake it’s a 5.5 motor 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Group c said:

Just updating this as I made a mistake it’s a 5.5 motor 

I was surprised a 60a ran a 3.5t! 😂

(Thought 8.5t was the limit , may find it would go quicker with the 10bl120a, as you could add some timing too 😀)

I think that is probably gear ratio limited even with the 60A esc. I'm not sure of the exact number of teeth in an FF03 front gearbox/diff, but I ball park from the manual that Group c's unloaded wheel speed is around 120-130kmh/75-80mph. Power will start falling off at about half that (~65kmh/38mph). 5.5t 2S in a 1/10 road car should be good for 100km/h+, so you want your unloaded wheel speed in the 150-200kmh range. Just a handful less teeth on the pinion than the spur is probably where it wants to be - maybe like 45t pinion 55t spur or if that doesn't fit just the biggest pinion and smallest spur that does. The 60A esc should be OK for speed runs as the motor current shouldn't be more than that when you get up to speed, just ease it off the line to avoid overloading the ESC.

11 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated - The FF03 is killing it great job @Group c, not far off the top spot for FWD now!

Thanks jason but I think that’s as far as I can got with this motor and esc.

watch this space though 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Group c said:

FF03 

3s

41 pinion 

60 spur 

5.5 motor 

HobbyWing 10BL60

77mph/123.9kph

That is a great inboard camera angle. Can see how hard the suspension is working!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Group c said:

Thanks jason but I think that’s as far as I can got with this motor and esc.

Great run dude!

I'm amazed that the ESC hasn't let the magic smoke out though and also glad that your carrying that heavy camera.  If you did not know my run was on 2s so maybe that evens it out :lol:

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

Great run dude!

I'm amazed that the ESC hasn't let the magic smoke out though and also glad that your carrying that heavy camera.  If you did not know my run was on 2s so maybe that evens it out :lol:

Thanks matey 

yes I do realise your run was on 2s. 

Your run is what  inspired me! So another thanks is due. 

ive also thought about the heavy GoPro and may well change that in the future. 

My esc is rated for 3s but I think the motor is not @El Dougo do you think that would make the esc smoke or am I only likely to blow the motor?         The motor has it own fan and seemed to not get too hot although I don’t have a heat gun. 

The more FF03 action the better :)   I've just done a complete rebuild on mine but not setup for speed running, well until someone beats it..... It would be nice to hit over 90 on 2s.

With the magic smoke either could let it out but the motor would have given up quickly if it couldn't handle the voltage. The motors seem to be relatively random and very few of the racing grade ones advertise that can handle over 2s but most do. I suspect that the sensor boards are the limitation but I've not lost must sleep over it, well apart from the fairly significant Speed Passion motor and Castle Cremations ESC fire (bench testing the motor on 3s at my friends house, he wasn't happy).

It's the ESC that deserves a medal as your pretty much running worst case high Kv, high voltage and a low final drive ratio. Hobbywing specify max 2S -8.5T, 3S -13.5T and I'm sure that somewhere in the small print will be a do not about running a low FDR. Has the car been cutting out form overheating? As your sensored the ESC should have a thermal a cut out for both the motor and the ESC but in general a fan is always a good idea and ideally you don't want the motor sustaining over 80 degrees c.

I'm very tempted to get myself a fancy GPS GoPro, do you know if the speedometer graphic updates for over 90Mph?

6 minutes ago, El Dougo said:

The more FF03 action the better :)   I've just done a complete rebuild on mine but not setup for speed running, well until someone beats it..... It would be nice to hit over 90 on 2s.

With the magic smoke either could let it out but the motor would have given up quickly if it couldn't handle the voltage. The motors seem to be relatively random and very few of the racing grade ones advertise that can handle over 2s but most do. I suspect that the sensor boards are the limitation but I've not lost must sleep over it, well apart from the fairly significant Speed Passion motor and Castle Cremations ESC fire (bench testing the motor on 3s at my friends house, he wasn't happy).

It's the ESC that deserves a medal as your pretty much running worst case high Kv, high voltage and a low final drive ratio. Hobbywing specify max 2S -8.5T, 3S -13.5T and I'm sure that somewhere in the small print will be a do not about running a low FDR. Has the car been cutting out form overheating? As your sensored the ESC should have a thermal a cut out for both the motor and the ESC but in general a fan is always a good idea and ideally you don't want the motor sustaining over 80 degrees c.

I'm very tempted to get myself a fancy GPS GoPro, do you know if the speedometer graphic updates for over 90Mph?

Agree on the more ff03 action 👍🏻

My esc is not sensored and hasn’t cut out once it all just seemed very happy. But I guess time will tell. 

Yes the GoPro will update the graphic to what ever speed you achieve. I’ve had it filming in my car on a trackday over 100mph