Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

3 minutes ago, stew_mac said:

My attempt at 125mph.  

This is the most dangerous and irresponsible video I've ever seen on this forum. 😕

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, OCD said:

This is the most dangerous and irresponsible video I've ever seen on this forum. 😕

Yes it was dangerous but all types of motor sport are. Atleast the videos will show everyone watching them that are going to try speed runs to have people and property well out the way. 

I know for sure It’s made me think about the people who watch my runs. 

And I bet Stewart will to after that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, stew_mac said:

My attempt at 125mph

Unlucky :(, any idea what let go?   

That is one tasty looking motor :ph34r:  Do you have a link to the results?   

4 minutes ago, Group c said:

Yes it was dangerous but all types of motor sport are. Atleast the videos will show everyone watching them that are going to try speed runs to have people and property well out the way. 

I know for sure It’s made me think about the people who watch my runs. 

And I bet Stewart will to after that. 

Motorsport has literally hundreds of rules and regulations that are designed to protect the audience. This is incredibly dangerous and I would call the police if I saw this happening on a public street.

I'm not going to debate this with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The only saving grace is those people are there for the speed runs... not unsuspecting members of the public camped out having a picnic... they know the risks as they are into that thing... I think that's important to note about the video.

This is why I'm nervous to do anything RC where I can injure someone else with my car.... or property!

13 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

The only saving grace is those people are there for the speed runs... not unsuspecting members of the public camped out having a picnic... they know the risks as they are into that thing... I think that's important to note about the video.

This is why I'm nervous to do anything RC where I can injure someone else with my car.... or property!

Then why is it that we don't see any precautions taken to prevent injury to anyone's person and property who happen to be using the street or sidewalk as it's intended? Street race courses are CLOSED COURSES for a reason. And I guarantee that the local rules-of the road would not permit *anything* to move at 100+mph without notifying the unsuspecting public first. An object that heavy moving that fast could kill someone, and no matter how fast your reaction time is, you cannot possibly move that fast. How are people that are camping and having a picnic "unsuspecting" public? Are you referring people that are there for a race on a sanctioned road course?

It goes without saying that if my car were parked on that street, you'd definitely get an earful from me.

Now get off my lawn. B)

7 minutes ago, OCD said:

Then why is it that we don't see any precautions taken to prevent injury to anyone's person and property who happen to be using the street or sidewalk as it's intended? Street race courses are CLOSED COURSES for a reason. And I guarantee that the local rules-of the road would not permit *anything* to move at 100+mph without notifying the unsuspecting public first. How are people that are camping and having a picnic "unsuspecting" public? Are you referring people that are there for a race on a sanctioned road course?

It goes without saying that if my car were parked on that street, you'd definitely get an earful from me.

Now get off my lawn. B)

For a guy that doesn’t want to debate you sure have a lot to say. 

I was agreeing with you in the first place 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Group c said:

For a guy that doesn’t want to debate you sure have a lot to say. 

I was agreeing with you in the first place 

That response wasn't directed at you, which why I quoted @Jason1145

2 hours ago, OCD said:

Then why is it that we don't see any precautions taken to prevent injury to anyone's person and property who happen to be using the street or sidewalk as it's intended? Street race courses are CLOSED COURSES for a reason. And I guarantee that the local rules-of the road would not permit *anything* to move at 100+mph without notifying the unsuspecting public first. An object that heavy moving that fast could kill someone, and no matter how fast your reaction time is, you cannot possibly move that fast. How are people that are camping and having a picnic "unsuspecting" public? Are you referring people that are there for a race on a sanctioned road course?

Now get off my lawn. B)

I think you misunderstood me, I mean those guys who nearly got hit.... were not unsuspecting members of the public... if you know this particular member you will know these guys have a speed run club  i.e. they are there for that reason... as in... they are NOT unsuspecting members of the public having a picnic being put in danger.

I would certainly hope that they do prevent innocent members of the public from going past, or wait for an all clear before running those speed passes as obviously that's dangerous otherwise.. so I'll wait for @stew_macto come comment if he wants to.

I wouldn't want my car parked with those things flying by either so again let's see if any answer comes back but I'm not here to criticise another grown up for what he chooses to do with his RC car if done as sensibly as possible and no harm has happened ( but that lovely blue chassis getting ripped... don't get me started!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I think you misunderstood me, I mean those guys who nearly got hit.... were not unsuspecting members of the public... if you know this particular member you will know these guys have a speed run club  i.e. they are there for that reason... as in... they are NOT unsuspecting members of the public having a picnic being put in danger.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Do you really think that the participants (who were the only ones aware of the danger) are the only people using the *public* street at the time? I mean, who do all those parked cars belong to? Or are we to assume that @stew_mac went and notified all of the owners and had their permission to launch a 5lb plastic and metal projectile to 125mph within a few feet of their cars?

I would certainly hope that they do prevent innocent members of the public from going past, or wait for an all clear before running those speed passes as obviously that's dangerous otherwise.. so I'll wait for @stew_macto come comment if he wants to.

Um, you did watch the videos, right?

I wouldn't want my car parked with those things flying by either so again let's see if any answer comes back but I'm not here to criticise another grown up for what he chooses to do with his RC car if done as sensibly as possible and no harm has happened

How noble.

Like I said, I'm not really here to debate this. That video encourages a very dangerous scenario with little or no regard for the safety of anyone or anything. Just think of someone else beside yourselves. Kids might see this video and think, "hey cool, I might try the same thing for the views" and end up seriously hurting someone or worse. These videos aren't being posted in a vacuum, and you should always assume the lowest common denominator when it comes to the public viewership. The responsible thing to do is try your best to set a good example, and not demonstrating that people who participate in this hobby have complete disregard for anyone other than themselves. We already seem to have a reputation as being immature adults who play with toys. Defending this behavior helps nothing.

Ok i'll chime in here. OCD is right, there are a lot of "what if's" what if a car, what if a child, what if someone see's the video. 

To give you an idea, the street is not residential, one side is bush the other is a transport hub. 

The cars are the people who participate in the events  (the trucks are parked illegally as there is no over night parking allowed). 

There has been 1759 speed passes on this road with 0 injuries and 0 damage to property (other than our own). 41 RC speed records have been broken or set on this road.

we wait until the road is clear to make a pass, there is a spotter at the start of the run and one at the end of the run. through out the cause of a day (8am to 5pm we might see less than 3 people using the foot path but all efforts are made to not make a pass until its clear. 

Ideally it would be great to use a closed strip but that's very cost prohibitive over here.

The local law enforcement has stopped by on several occasions, they have watched runs and even used their radars to capture speed.  

Unfortunately we all can't be everything to everyone. upmost care is taken and the chances of a "what if" happening is low. 

But if OCD lived on lived on this street (which you can't as there are no houses) and did ask as to move on we would. 

now this may not resolve the safety concerns of all members, but personally I'm Ok with that. that's the beauty of free speech and forums. you can voice your opinion if you choose and i can also choose how to react to peoples comments. Normally I just let them go as I can't stop every "what if" scenario in the world. but i thought i would add a little contexts to this as there were a few comments being made. 

Either way i hope you all enjoy your hobby the way you wish to enjoy it. 

image.thumb.png.8417df7fa072ce5dddce20c0b4ccdc38.png

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stew_mac said:

Either way i hope you all enjoy your hobby the way you wish to enjoy it. 

Now tell me about that motor :D  And do you have a link to the results from the day?

• Like 1

TP power 3630 4700kv 

mod 1 gears 22/28

I did have a caslte XLX but blew it up when the old 5700kv motor shorted it. So went back the the MM2. 

4s graphene.

Conservative speed calculation......

(note during the run the voltage drops. So to get a better calculation I set the cell count to 3 and the voltage. That gives a more realistic figure.)

no speed was captured. The car crashed before the speed traps. Where all the people were standing. 

1924383B-049D-4F66-ABF3-4D215354DCFA.png

8 hours ago, OCD said:

How noble.

Stop it buttercup,  you'll make me blush 

So what’s the deal with the castle stuff I was under the impression they were the best. But in the last few posts I’ve heard of two giving up. 

Is it just people in this group of speed runners are pushing everything to the max?

Hobbywing or castle ? 

3 hours ago, Group c said:

Is it just people in this group of speed runners are pushing everything to the max?

I think that's a major part of it, mine gave up the ghost as the motor let go, shorted , which took the esc out, but 5700kv on 5s I knew I was pushing it, even with castles 100k rpm limit. (Are there any motors with a higher threshold?) 

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

I think that's a major part of it, mine gave up the ghost as the motor let go, shorted , which took the esc out, but 5700kv on 5s I knew I was pushing it, even with castles 100k rpm limit. (Are there any motors with a higher threshold?) 

So if my understanding of kv is correct (please tell me if I’m wrong here) is that kv is rpm per volt so 5700 x 18.5v =105.450 rpm and that’s not even at full charge. So you are over the limit.

Obviously taking an unknown amount of rpm off for mechanical loss.

Kv is rpm per volt unloaded. So just the motor. Put even a pinion on and it will change the results. 

The MM2 retro and XLX have no limits or safety cutoff so you can get the most out of them. But you can also damage them. That’s the risk you take. 

Hobbywing are great, but when you start pushing them there inbuilt safety features will make it cut out. Where castle will keep allowing you to make speed not maker what. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Group c said:

So if my understanding of kv is correct (please tell me if I’m wrong here) is that kv is rpm per volt so 5700 x 18.5v =105.450 rpm and that’s not even at full charge. So you are over the limit.

Obviously taking an unknown amount of rpm off for mechanical loss.

Yeah, bit like stew says, that's unloaded. It wasn't the rpm that killed it, it was temps. It ran 59mph, and I wanted 60, one more run, just one more.....💣

• Like 1

What kills motors in speed runs, especially when running them on higher voltage, is excessive heat. If you increase the voltage you proportionally increase the current at a given rpm. More current equals more power but also more heat. Motors aren't 100% efficient so some % of the electrical energy going in is going to be turned into heat instead of mechanical power. The slower the motor is turning the worse the efficiency, so gearing for a lower FDR operates your motor at lower efficiency and therefore also makes it run hotter. If you let it get too hot either the insulation on the windings burns off and causes a short, or the rotor demagnetises which leads to a loss of efficiency therefore a loss of mechanical power and increase in heat. Ultimately the motor and/or esc gets damaged.

A 1:10 or 1:8 scale rc motor doesn't have a lot of surface area to dissipate heat but if you keep the run short enough it may not have time to heat up to a critical temperature. Doing runs back to back without letting the motor cool off greatly increases the chances of damaging things since if you're starting a second run already at an elevated temperature it will be even hotter at the end of the second run than the first. Adding a heatsink or fan may help, although when pushing motors way harder than designed for the internals may reach critical levels before the motor can is even hot, so cooling the motor from the outside might not be very effective. If you can direct the air into holes or slots in the can then it will likely cool the windings and rotor more effectively.

Higher rpm is just a consequence of higher mechanical power being produced at the output shaft. The rpm limit is determined by what the bearings can handle and still give a reasonable service life. More rpm just leads to them wearing out faster. 

• Like 3

With it being winter , I've not had a chance to get any runs in, until this morning 😁

Granted, still freezing temps, and grit on the road , but :-

WT-01 - Hertz build 

Castle 3800kv 

Castle sidewinder esc

Speed gear set

3s lipo

49kph - 30.4mph 

Thinking I need taller rubber, the speed gear set is only compensating for the smaller tyres?

• Like 1

Just tried to upload the Dark Impact vid, but turns out I've just taken a picture of the zero, not pressed record!! 🤬 fat fingers...

Only improved to 103kph, so wouldn't have changed things anyway, not sure if that's all she's got, or need to wind the slipper back in a bit, thinking warmer weather might help (on my ability to press record if nothing else!! 😂)

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2019 at 1:22 PM, Group c said:

So what’s the deal with the castle stuff I was under the impression they were the best. But in the last few posts I’ve heard of two giving up. 

Hobbywing or castle ? 

I'm not a speedrunner per se, but I do have some experience with it and have run a ton of ESC's. I personally think Hobbywing makes a much better ESC, and at a much better price. I'm of the understanding that those who are truly hardcore and want the best, use MGM, and Castle is frowned upon by many serious racers and speedrunners. I have not had much luck with Castle either, but for the price I find Hobbywing hard to beat. Unlike the Castle, I've yet to see a Hobbywing catch on fire - and my Max6 actually stays alive in front of my TP Power 4070CM 1400 KV on 8S.

• Thanks 1

I use the castle, as it was one that came up for the right money with the right spec when I was looking to switch to lipo and brushless, maybe because people stick hold of the hobbywing and sell their castle!? 🤔

15 hours ago, DK308 said:

I'm of the understanding that those who are truly hardcore and want the best, use MGM,

I guess you get what you pay for, but certainly ain't paying thousands for an esc! 😬 

15 hours ago, DK308 said:

I find Hobbywing hard to beat.

I'm certainly liking the 10bl120 esc, under £40 and some good features, I've a few now 😀

• Like 1