Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

10 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I use the castle, as it was one that came up for the right money with the right spec when I was looking to switch to lipo and brushless, maybe because people stick hold of the hobbywing and sell their castle!? 🤔

I guess you get what you pay for, but certainly ain't paying thousands for an esc! 😬 

I'm certainly liking the 10bl120 esc, under £40 and some good features, I've a few now 😀

Neither am I. But while they are expensive, they are not thousands unless you really need that 800A monster. I mean you can pay less than 400 euro for a 280A 2-6S ESC with a 5 year warranty. That's only about 50 euro more than an XLX, and while it's "only" a 6S ESC, it's more powerful than the XLX and it can run a 2700 kv TP 4070CM. That's a pretty wild 6S setup that can beat a lot of 8-10S rigs.

And I mean, you can also get the 400A 4-15S ESC for about 800 Euro. Yes it's not cheap, but once you've paid for two or three Castle XLX and maybe some damages associated with them catching fire, you'll be ahead financially. And from experience, I know MGM stand by their warranty, which is a lot more than I can say for Castle Creations.

They are expensive, but they are also very, very good ESC's. But granted, for most of us, a Hobbywing will do the job just fine in 95% of the times.

35 minutes ago, DK308 said:

while they are expensive, they are not thousands unless you really need that 800A monster. I mean you can pay less than 400 euro

Still a lot of dough, but chances are, the esc you'll need to buy.

36 minutes ago, DK308 said:

but once you've paid for two or three Castle XLX and maybe some damages associated with them catching fire

I'm on my 2nd mamba max pro and motor, so far I'm £130, and still running them past their design limits 🤷‍♂️ 

(Guess what's going to happen on the next run....💣💥😬😂

40 minutes ago, DK308 said:

I know MGM stand by their warranty, which is a lot more than I can say for Castle Creations.

Castle offered me a Monster X for $95 after i got back to them about blowing up the mamba max pro, even though I bought it 2nd hand! So I can't really complain tbh (didn't take them up on the offer, as by the time I paid tax and duty, it's still a big handful of cash).

I'm keeping an eye out for the 160a hobbywing now though 👀👍

• Like 1

Speed run entry

Non Tamiya Car Section

Team Associated Trophy Rat

3s lipo, 3300kv motor with stock 87t spur and increased 21t pinion ( stock is 18t)

Top Speed - a disappointing 66 KPH / 44 MPH

Guys... last time out on a 18t pinion this did 64KPH, now with a 21t pinion it only did 66KPH.

What is holding back the top speed?

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, Wooders28 said:

I'm certainly liking the 10bl120 esc, under £40 and some good features, I've a few now 😀

They make some really good gear for the money, those 120a units are hard to beat for the price, I have a couple I use in larger 1/10 trucks and a few 1/8 too. I have an old E-maxx that isn't really up to handling a massive 6s setup but with a 3300KV 560 size brushless and 3s it goes along great, only tops out about 45 on 3s but that's more than enough, I spend most of the time going a lot slower when I'm bashing off road.

I find most of their products to be really good for the money so far. I have a little EZrun brushless ESC that I got in a joblot second hand. I have no idea if it's the 35a, 45a or 60a version because all the markings have been removed but it has taken everything i have thrown at it so far!

Their 1060 brushed ESC has to be one of the best choices for 1/10 brushed vehicles too, it's a bargain, reliable, waterproof and while basic, the F/R mode with drag brake gives it that little bit of extra versatility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I put your WT01 in the RWD is that correct?

Yeah, that's correct 👍

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 1:27 AM, Jason1145 said:

Speed run entry

Non Tamiya Car Section

3s lipo, 3300kv motor with stock 87t spur and increased 21t pinion ( stock is 18t)

Guys... last time out on a 18t pinion this did 64KPH, now with a 21t pinion it only did 66KPH.

Sounds like you're at the limits of what your motor will do. If you have a 19 or 20 tooth pinion, it would fun to see if it actually ran faster than with the 21 tooth. I suspect that it will.

If memory serves, I believe most get about 35-40 mph out of them in bone stock form on 3S. So I don't think there's much more than 44-45 mph to be had as is.

One of these in 4D

http://www.tppowereurope.com/Webwinkel-Product-49252497/TP3630.html

With one of these for speed runs.

http://www.rcmart.com/robinson-racing-2023-hard-pitch-machined-pinion-bore-p-72137.html

And maybe this to finish it off nicely, as I suspect that the stock ESC will be on the smaller side of things.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored-brushless-esc-120a.html?wrh_pdp=3

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Sounds like you're at the limits of what your motor will do. If you have a 19 or 20 tooth pinion, it would fun to see if it actually ran faster than with the 21 tooth. I suspect that it will.

If memory serves, I believe most get about 35-40 mph out of them in bone stock form on 3S. So I don't think there's much more than 44-45 mph to be had as is.

One of these in 4D

http://www.rcmart.com/robinson-racing-2023-hard-pitch-machined-pinion-bore-p-72137.html

And maybe this to finish it off nicely, as I suspect that the stock ESC will be on the smaller side of things.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored-brushless-esc-120a.html?wrh_pdp=3

Whops! That was supposed to say 5D, not 4D.

@Jason1145  Initially I would of suspected that the ESC is the problem but it's very strange that you achieved a simliar speed with different gearing.  Even if the ESC was limited to an RPM you would still see a difference in speed for the gearing, unless your hitting an aerodynamic limit but I very much doubt that would be the problem.

Based on this my monies are on your battery not being up to the job, what MAH and C rating are you running and have you tried it with a different one !?  

EDIT 

Can you check the manual and see what the IDR is?  I will do some man math for you!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, a.w.k. said:

Congratulations @Jason1145

This is page 100, superb thread and a pleasure to read

👍👏

Tanks pal, it's been a fun thread and I'm sure it has has earnt Mr Tamiya a few hundred extra £'s being spent on broken parts, I should put in for a claim ;p

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

@Jason1145  Initially I would of suspected that the ESC is the problem but it's very strange that you achieved a simliar speed with different gearing.  Even if the ESC was limited to an RPM you would still see a difference in speed for the gearing, unless your hitting an aerodynamic limit but I very much doubt that would be the problem.

Based on this my monies are on your battery not being up to the job, what MAH and C rating are you running and have you tried it with a different one !?  

EDIT 

Can you check the manual and see what the IDR is?  I will do some man math for you!

That would be appreciated thank you, coming from the Top spot guy I would be honoured

Here's the gearing info.... mine is the bottom one (Reedy 3300Kv moto)

My battery was a Gena Ace 3s 3300MAH 30C lipo

J7naQZN.png

Info on the esc - it doesn't even say if it's 60a or 80a or 100a etc etc or anything????

https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/shared/Reedy_ESC_SC600BL_Manual.pdf

3 hours ago, DK308 said:

One of these in 4D

Thanks for the shopping,list pal... what's the difference between 5d and 5Y?? (what kv motors and can sizes are these?)

That's interesting about the pinion... I am tempted to buy a 19t and 20t just to try it out :)

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, Jason1145 said:

Speed run entry

Non Tamiya Car Section

Not sure what's happening here, I suspect something is amiss though rather than it being all the gear can offer. Someone did better with a quicrun 1060 and silver can let's not forget. I would have thought this would have been good for closer to 60.

Does it sound like the motor is getting up to full speed? How hot does it get after a speed run? Do you have any alternative batteries you can try?

I'm not much of a gearing expert but how much extra would be expected from that 3 tooth pinion increase?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, Jason1145 said:

Torque, or lack of it, either motor is out of breath, the esc is stretched and can't pass the current, or the battery can't supply the current (low C rating / mah) 

On a reedy 6.5t there was a noticeable difference going from a 60a speed passion esc, to a 160a muchmore, and a noticeable jump going from a 70c to a 110c battery, 

• Like 1

Looking at the numbers it might not be too far off although I suspect that if the battery only bursts to 30C as Wooders say's it won't be helping the situation. Stick a massive pinion on or switch to the 75 Spur if clearance is a problem. I would start with a FDR between 5 and 6 and keep a close eye on temperatures and go from there. Next time your battery shopping look for something with 60C constant and about 5000Mah.

rat

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Thanks for the shopping,list pal... what's the difference between 5d and 5Y?? (what kv motors and can sizes are these?)

That's interesting about the pinion... I am tempted to buy a 19t and 20t just to try it out :)

Haha, you're welcome :D

The difference between D and Y has to do with how the wiring is done.image.png.baf31a7f4c88c5445ee7971cb38d5773.png

Here's a list of the TP Power 3630 specs

http://www.tppowereurope.com/Webwinkel-Product-49252497/TP3630.html#

They are great motors and very powerful - a lot more than what the size would lead you to believe. The 3630 series is a 36x58 size can.

5D is 3861 kv

5Y is 2070 kv

4D is 4400 kv

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DK308 said:

The difference between D and Y has to do with how the wiring is done

I believe the Y wind, is the only wind legal for use in the BRCA rules, don't know if that means there are more star (?) winds than delta available? 

(Even though delta has more torque?) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Torque, or lack of it, either motor is out of breath, the esc is stretched and can't pass the current, or the battery can't supply the current (low C rating / mah) 

On a reedy 6.5t there was a noticeable difference going from a 60a speed passion esc, to a 160a muchmore, and a noticeable jump going from a 70c to a 110c battery, 

I can indeed be several things that limits torque and rpm, but I cannot wrap my head around it being the battery or ESC.

Quite a few similar style cars run faster on the same style pack and ESC. Take the Arrma Fury BLX as an example. I've seen it clock 56 mph on a dinky 25C 2800 mah 3S Zippy pack not even trying with a fully charged pack. It has a pretty tame 60A ESC without cooling, but a somewhat stout 3656 3800 kv motor. The same stock electrical setup in my Raider XL BLX clocked 64 mph with only a pinion and spur change, a 45C 3S pack and the same 60A ESC. Not entirely sure what the ESC in that Rat is, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't somewhere between 60-100A.

I cannot see any reason why a 60+ amp ESC and a 3S 30C lipo would limit that rig to 44 mph. Only thing I can think of is the motor, and judging by the fact that the pinion change should have added more than 2 mph, well, I can't see anything else being the cause.

My 02 :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I believe the Y wind, is the only wind legal for use in the BRCA rules, don't know if that means there are more star (?) winds than delta available? 

(Even though delta has more torque?) 

Not sure about the rules.

There's a difference in torque, and from what I've been told, one has more torque low, and the other on top. However I cannot remember which is which. When I choose a motor, being it for a car or boat, I care about kv, amps, voltage, wattage and efficiency etc. Whether it's a Y or Delta? Never have, never will. I have both and I cannot tell the difference.

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Not sure what's happening here, I suspect something is amiss though rather than it being all the gear can offer. Someone did better with a quicrun 1060 and silver can let's not forget. I would have thought this would have been good for closer to 60.

Does it sound like the motor is getting up to full speed? How hot does it get after a speed run? Do you have any alternative batteries you can try?

I'm not much of a gearing expert but how much extra would be expected from that 3 tooth pinion increase?

The motor sounds good when running it sure sounds like it's going full tilt and it's not hot after a few runs and 5 minutes horsing around in the dirt.

I was expecting about a 7-10MPH increase going from 18t to 21t pinion.. just my gut feeling. 

I only have two of these same 3s 3300Mah 30C lipo's.

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Looking at the numbers it might not be too far off although I suspect that if the battery only bursts to 30C as Wooders say's it won't be helping the situation. Stick a massive pinion on or switch to the 75 Spur if clearance is a problem. I would start with a FDR between 5 and 6 and keep a close eye on temperatures and go from there. Next time your battery shopping look for something with 60C constant and about 5000Mah.

rat

Cheers I might opt for a 75t spur once I find the right part number and mate it with a bigger pinion too.

Edit : found the spur gear

TEAM ASSOCIATED RC10B4/T4/B44/B5/B5M T5M/SC5M/B6/B6D 75T 48DP SPUR GEAR

• Part Number: AS9650

Noted for the lipo battery thank you, but I'm not battery buying anytime soon ;) 

1 hour ago, DK308 said:

I cannot wrap my head around it being the battery or ESC.

I've had lower C rated lipos dip into the low volt cut off (4.5t with the 70c) with a good charge in them, high power demands really drop the voltage, I ran a low volt alarm on the dt03 when on the beach (wouldn't have time to storage charge, so was trying to aim for 3.8v) 3v cut off turned out to be 3.8v resting.

1 hour ago, DK308 said:

Quite a few similar style cars run faster on the same style pack and ESC.

My recent WT01 ran 30mph, where the optima mid, with the exact motor/esc/Lipo ran 54 , but not sure if that's gearing, weight or power losses? 

15 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

The motor sounds good when running it sure sounds like it's going full tilt and it's not hot after a few runs and 5 minutes horsing around in the dirt.

I was expecting about a 7-10MPH increase going from 18t to 21t pinion.. just my gut feeling. 

I only have two of these same 3s 3300Mah 30C lipo's.

What's the tyre diameter on the Rat wheels?