Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

On 6/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, Wooders28 said:

238.8 amps!

What surprised me even more is that the log claims it's putting out nearly 2.7Kw:o   

Based on a 1.5kg car that would work at approx1800Bhp/Ton. The car is fast but I doubt those numbers!

---

Edit, I didn't convert the Kw to BHP before the math it's more like 2400Bhp/Ton :blink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

I didn't convert the Kw to BHP before the math it's more like 2400Bhp/Ton :blink:

If true to scale,  that would be 948mph too! 🤔

Is the ramping current due to feathering in the throttle? 1:10/1:8 BLDC motors are typically about 40% efficient (at maximum mechanical power out), so 2.7kW electrical power in, ~1.08kW mechanical power out, 1.62kW heat! Seems about right for 7700kv on 3S to me :)

No official entries unfortunately this time, we did take the Clod with us to the beach (not really has it out since getting the CR-01) It got a blistering 8.7mph but then we found it got 9.1mph in reverse! Could have been a good comedy entry but I’ve wasted enough of Jason’s time already ;)

I must have fried my new 120a ESC on its first outing last time in Thunder Shot (at least it pushed it past 60mph). I only found out testing things as we were packing to go back on holiday so it was only Blackfoot to try back on 3s.

The fastest its run was 49.1mph but the diff was slipping then so I was hoping with that fixed it may have run faster. 

Our previous visit was the next try with the fixed diff, it got a few good passes in till the roll that snapped the wheels axle (halfway through the video below).

While fixing that I swapped the 19t pinion for a 16t when I realised how much higher geared it was over Thunder Shot, that ran 57mph with the same 5200 motor & 3s. 

Just for reference (not taking tyre ballooning into account) this should be the motor speed at 50mph:

Thunder Shot is 33,000rpm

Blackfoot with 19t is 23,760rpm

Blackfoot with 16t is 29,040 rpm

The second half of the video is with the 16t pinion:

Both the 16t & 19t got almost identical 48mph speeds!

I made that video for myself really I wanted to listen to the passes back to back as there was clearly something very wrong by the end, you can hear & see it pulsing on the power. The first 16t run was a high 47mph but that was it, it only ran the 48 when we tried tweaking the trim throttle trim up a bit as I had a feeling it wasn’t getting full power. All the other runs got progressively faster by a good few mph as things warmed up usually 3rd or 4th being the fastest, so I think there is probably something wrong. It’s the same TX / RX & ESC so the end points shouldn’t have changed. The ESC has done a lot of passes in different cars so is probably getting a bit tired. It did smell a bit nasty at the end of running. But it ran very well on 2s for a good bash right after. 

Not sure what to do next, I really want to try to get the truck up to 50mph 4s would do it, but it's kind of fun to try more with 3s! 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 7:03 PM, Andyrt200 said:

The ESC has done a lot of passes in different cars so is probably getting a bit tired. 

Do they get tired? I had in my head they either worked or didn't! 

Motors get tired, overheating damaging magnets and drying out of bearings etc.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, Wooders28 said:

Do they get tired? I had in my head they either worked or didn't

Maybe not!

I was doing some testing with the clearly not working new 120A ESC & found the old trusty 60A suddenly wasn’t working on my only 3s pack, but was fine on 2s. It seems the connections were dirty on that 3s, the 60A started working fine again with it after cleaning them up. I guess maybe is was arcing a bit on full power on my last try. 

• Thanks 1

** Not a Speed entry... Yet!

Well, it's been a long time since I've been back here and I can see some really nice runs! And some new 'competitors' :) 

I've been pretty busy with my Youtube Channel, but I think I'm in a position now to get a few runs in! I also moved house and had nowhere really to do the fast runs, but I recently found a large car park to use that's locked up every night at 5:30....but has a public footpath going through it! Winner!  

3 that I'm interested in challenging the top spot are..

RWD, 6WD & Non Tamiya.....and maybe Silver Can!

I'd also like my 'Fastest SRB' claim back at some point haha

Anyway, once the weather gets a bit better I'll try and get some runs in! 

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, El Dougo said:

What surprised me even more is that the log claims it's putting out nearly 2.7Kw:o   

Based on a 1.5kg car that would work at approx1800Bhp/Ton. The car is fast but I doubt those numbers!

---

Edit, I didn't convert the Kw to BHP before the math it's more like 2400Bhp/Ton :blink:

My War Rig motor is rated at 2380Watts on 6S, and pulls 105amps max. Be interested to know how you work out bhp / ton. I guestimate the war rig weight at around 30-35kg. Top speed last time checked was ~18mph.

• Like 1

Nice to see I am still on the list with the TNX! I need to pull my thumb out and do something else 

On 6/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, nbTMM said:

Is the ramping current due to feathering in the throttle? 1:10/1:8 BLDC motors are typically about 40% efficient (at maximum mechanical power out), so 2.7kW electrical power in, ~1.08kW mechanical power out, 1.62kW heat! Seems about right for 7700kv on 3S to me :)

I suspect throttle feathering with that variance, the road that I run on isn't the best :)  

On 6/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, MadInventor said:

Be interested to know how you work out bhp / ton. I guestimate the war rig weight at around 30-35kg. Top speed last time checked was ~18mph.

Bhp/Ton is power divided by weight in kg x 1000.  For the War Rig if we take the rated as actual power out it works out at about 105Bhp/Ton. (Convert the KW to BHP (KW x1.336) to get approx 3.2Bhp (3.17968) then divide the power by the weight, will go with 30kg and then multiply by 1000 to get approx 106Bhp/Ton). 

@Phil_H

Good to see you back.  I need to dust my cars off and get back out.... I might have a go at the RWD record also :) 

• Like 1

Now summer (?) Is here,  I've managed to get a run in!! 😁

Pulled the elecs out of the Dark Impact and nailed it in the DT03, 7700kv /3s.

I've removed the angle iron bumper I used for the 5s, as the 3s sits in the chassis, but added some washers at the front end and under the, maduke, body...

2019-06-23_04-20-06

First run, as soon as I brought in the power...

2019-06-23_04-00-56 2019-06-23_04-00-27

After some repairs (great thing about the adjustable turnbuckles,  they just pop back on 😏

Bit more gentle on the roll on...

2019-06-23_04-00-14

With the added bonus of parting company with the GPS screen cover 😥

2019-06-23_03-59-56

Back to the drawing board, with a top speed of 90kph on a run that it actually didn't fall over, no improvements (but did test the GPS if nothing else), looking like the angle iron bumper is being reinstated, and some extension leads for the 3s battery! (And maybe a wheelie bar 🤔)

• Like 1

I’m loving the sighs and groans after the spills! Jealous of the quiet road you’ve found

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Now that's dedication to the cause.... top work dude :D

Cheers man! Still didn't net any results! 🤬😂

Damage was slightly more than I thought,  pair of wheels are a fiver though 🤷‍♂️

2019-06-24_07-57-16

27 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I’m loving the sighs and groans after the spills! Jealous of the quiet road you’ve found

More family friendly than swearing 😂

Its an industrial estate at 7am on a Sunday morning, took a while on google earth and driving around to find right enough, needs a resurface and less camber though! 🤔

@stew_mac, nice run!

I did a shakedown run on my TT02 last night and it hit 55 mph in about 200 feet going up a 7 degree / 12 percent incline (the street in front of my house).  This is with an unmodified gearbox/gear cover.  I need a longer, flatter street and a newer battery to see what it can really do in its current configuration.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stew_mac said:

First run 116mph the second 112mph

Awesome Stew, that battery should be mentioned in despatches!  Looking at those numbers I suspect that it has been giving above and beyond ...

I'd love to have a look at your data log, would you be willing to share?

4 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Awesome Stew, that battery should be mentioned in despatches!  Looking at those numbers I suspect that it has been giving above and beyond ...

I'd love to have a look at your data log, would you be willing to share?

Yeah the battery has made some great numbers. But time to get a 5000mah.

I use a mamba monster 2 which doesn’t have any data logging, if it did I would be happy to share. 

• Thanks 1

Ff03 front wheel drive class 86MPH 138.4kph

turnigy 3.3 60-120c heavy duty 

48p 60t spur /41t pinion 

hobbywing v10 4.5t

castle mmx

• Like 2

1 minute ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Group c, what OSD are you using with that FPV camera?  That's a really nice speedometer display.

It’s all from a GoPro 5 pal 

Oh, I'm behind the times.  Still have a Hero 3.  Now they're up to Hero 7, I see.  They were releasing these so often I couldn't justify getting new hardware every year.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1