Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

Nito - love the Hornet flips, and the twang of the 10J sticks. That is great speed for a silvercan.

Jason - great run, but I think you can do more. I reckon that HCT could really shift, does it feel stable?

• Like 1

First of two runs tonight.

With dodgy gearboxes in my TT02b, I thought I'd take the DF02 out with it's stronger default gearbox. Strapped the big Louises to it for some stability and a bigger wheelset.

I think I scared myself a little with this one. Not as quick as MadInventor, but with the hard stops and air possibilities (which you just might make out when I caught a speed hump), it was a little concerning :lol: I'm not sure I can go much quicker in this location.

• DF02 Aero Avante
  • 4WD Buggy
  • 48.7 mph / 78.3 kmh 
  • 4000kv 2 pole Turnigy
  • 80A Turnigy
  • 3sLipo
  • 19T Kit Pinion, standard Spur
  • Louise MT Rocket wheels
  • Like 2

Thanks Jupiter,

I don't know why my vids loose so much resolution, they're crystal clear on my ipad and uploaded in 1080p! 

large.IMG_1094.PNG.03f8adfdf59d9a0aac819

2nd run tonight was a curiosity one. I've really enjoyed my Kyosho Optima rere in garden bashing, so I was curious to see how quick it was actually going.

On the normal 2s I run it with, it managed 26.4 kmh / 16.4 mph. With a 3s:

• Kyosho Optima rere
  • Other makes
  • 23.7 mph / 38.2 kmh 
  • Kyosho Lemans 490 30T motor
  • Hobbywing 1060 ESC
  • 3s Lipo
  • 12T Kit Pinion, standard Spur (I'll have to confirm the pinion)
  • Absima wheels - 82mm Street tread

Felt like a walk in the park in comparison to the previous runs, very leisurely. Familiarity breeds complacency eh? :P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

I don't know why my vids loose so much resolution, they're crystal clear on my ipad and uploaded in 1080p! 

Yeah, I think youtube plays tricks. Some of it is it playing back adaptive quality, others, I don't know.

Blimey I never noticed the speed bumps, good driving to avoid them the rest of the time. Looks awesomely quick. My Aero is still on its silver can, I didn't run it today but it was with me, we just ran out of time to collect the kids from their clubs.

59 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

With dodgy gearboxes in my TT02b, I thought I'd take the DF02 out with it's stronger default gearbox. Strapped the big Louises to it for some stability and a bigger wheelset.

I think I scared myself a little with this one. Not as quick as MadInventor, but with the hard stops and air possibilities (which you just might make out when I caught a speed hump), it was a little concerning :lol: I'm not sure I can go much quicker in this location.

• DF02 Aero Avante
  • 4WD Buggy
  • 48.7 mph / 78.3 kmh 
  • 4000kv 2 pole Turnigy
  • 80A Turnigy
  • 3sLipo

You're a braver man than me, I wouldn't run a 50mph car in that location with the kerbs, speed humps, etc, especially at night. I freely admit I have a great advantage in location I'm using, and you're within a fag paper of my fastest time, so very well done. Your electronics setup is near identical to mine, and I'm guessing the overall gear ratios are very similar, I've got the 67T faster spur in mine, but am running with smaller diameter tires.

9 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Nito - love the Hornet flips, and the twang of the 10J sticks. That is great speed for a silvercan.

Jason - great run, but I think you can do more. I reckon that HCT could really shift, does it feel stable?

The HCT wants to go faster but can't :(

Ive seen Nito get speed out of his silver cans running on 3s lipo but my HCT can't quite manage it even on a Sports Tuned Motor which is supposedly faster than a silver can.

HCT silver can on 2s = 11.2mph, on 3s = 14.9mph

only an extra 3.7 mph from 2s to 3s doesn't impress lol.

Will update lists later, got a 7 month old baby who didn't get the memo about the clocks going back 1hr!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Thanks Jason, and here is the WT01 @48kmh/29.83mpH on 2S, 18T pinion, 4300kv motor, 136mm Gmade big horn tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_pxIaHcMDM

Don't laugh...you can probably time how fast (or slowly) I can run the 100 metres lol. Again my camera misses a lot of the action, I've tagged on the missus footage from the run before which ended exactly the same way funnily enough, it's a good way to keep fit!! Kudos to the WT, it takes the hits and didn't break a thing.

Video is private pal!

10 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

• DF02 Aero Avante
  • 4WD Buggy
  • 48.7 mph / 78.3 kmh 
  • 4000kv 2 pole Turnigy
  • 80A Turnigy
  • 3sLipo

78.3KPH going on the list (I need to learn not to watch these on my phone where they are unclear, all rights itself on the big screen of a home computer lol)

Thanks Jason, sorted now.

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ive seen Nito get speed out of his silver cans running on 3s lipo but my HCT can't quite manage it even on a Sports Tuned Motor which is supposedly faster than a silver can.

Not me Jason I don't think, My runs were on 2S, when I tried 3s the other day I only got an extra 4kmh which I put down to the amp draw being higher than the discharge rate ergo the batt not able to keep up with demand resulting in it supplying a lower voltage. On my 3S, each cell can only provide 12A. The amp draw of the motor and servo with big wheels etc is more than this. Probably closer to 15-20A.

The City Turbo has such a high gear ratio, the WT gets away with it by merit of its big wheels, the poor little HCT with 70mm rears has no hope. My spreadsheet has it topping out at just over 9mph on 7.4v and just over 14mph on 11.1v so it's right on the money :)

ps, unless you've changed it, your HCT should be running a torque tuned motor, not sport tuned.

• Like 1

Love your spreadsheet Nito, tells me my HCT isn't broken thanks! Yes I upgraded it from Torque tuned to Sport tuned... Thst gets me the 14.9MPH.

I guess I might put a brushless motor in and try that for more speed... One of the main reasons I started this whole thread was to see the cute n funny Tamiya's go fast, like the WW2 and HCT.... It just looks comical. Anyone can see 2wd and 4wd buggies hitting 100mph that's all been done before to death.

Will check out your new WT-01 effort now and update lists later. 

• Like 1

Jason, I've just this second upload a newer re-editied version that shows the speeds clearer, seems by zooming in on the video editor it makes it clearer on youtube!

The hct would be good for approx 24mph on a 3s 4300kv. You probably wouldn't get a lot of steering with that ;)

I regraded the kv on my spreadsheet after my Hornet runs, to 2250 equiv. for a silver can (16,650rpm), that would make your HCT 12.62mph top end on a stock silver can. Thanks to your data, that would make the sport tuned more like 2600kv (19,240rpm). The torque tuned I've yet to get feedback on but I had it down as 2500kv (18500rpm at 7.4v) which is 14.02mph at 11.1v! The spreadsheet is a work in progress but so far things are within 1mph :) 

• Like 1

Excellent Nito, great info as always. 24MPH soounds fun on the HCT.

Here's how I film my speed runs, to give an example of solo filming.

u70IBhU.jpg

VylaLKO.jpg

4GUrgu5.jpg

Whoa, nice, check out the lens on that! Makes the Go Pro look all inferior ;)

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

HCT needs the Hi Speed gears set to make it move I think. We should do a group buy given the amount of people trying to make WR gearboxes move fast. 

I got clobbered badly for mine Nobbi. I thought I'd make up the order to justify the £20 postage by ordering a few other silly things I didn't really need (I have a nice GF01 servo mount though ;) ) , lo and behold when importing from Japan if its over £35 (easy with current rate exchange) you get hit for vat on the cost of parts and postage and then the Parcelforce £12.50 handling fee kicks in, so in all I had a £24 bill on top of the original £58 (20 was postage the other £38 for parts.) Really I should have just bought the gears alone and postage to keep it under £35, still a lot of money, or find somewhere else (a different country) to import from. They did the option of under declaration but in the past that info can gets put on the parcel leaving the door wide open to getting done and I think its the buyers responsibility to declare so I kept it at 100% and paid the price lol!

With high speed gears, 4300kv and 11.1v, the hct would nudge 30mph. That would be an amazing sight to behold! Hmmm, mines piloted by Ayrton Senna!! But she's supposed to be a shelfer...

large.image.jpeg.e5aab45dd76ae401b06e282

• Like 1

Just clocked the Optima vid Jupiter, looks incredibly precise. Bring on the Turbo Optima :) (will def be on my list, I had one bitd). Seems like it could handle double the speed without breaking too much of a sweat.

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Love your spreadsheet Nito, tells me my HCT isn't broken thanks! Yes I upgraded it from Torque tuned to Sport tuned... Thst gets me the 14.9MPH.

I guess I might put a brushless motor in and try that for more speed... One of the main reasons I started this whole thread was to see the cute n funny Tamiya's go fast, like the WW2 and HCT.... It just looks comical. Anyone can see 2wd and 4wd buggies hitting 100mph that's all been done before to death.

Will check out your new WT-01 effort now and update lists later. 

It's a good point, is there anything you'd like to see that hasn't been run already?

7 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

It's a good point, is there anything you'd like to see that hasn't been run already?

The Clod and Bullheads spring to mind but they will be a rarity I think, more Gf-01's and Wr-02's for sure

Maybe a RockSocker, anything that isn't really meant to go fast... Going fast :) 

Hey guys,

Great thread. Prepare to be amazed though. I have found your efforts impressive so far, but this is going to top everything.

I plan to get70+mph out of my slightly modified Wild One.

It does qualify doesn't it?

IMG_2050.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nitomor said:

I got clobbered badly for mine Nobbi. I thought I'd make up the order to justify the £20 postage by ordering a few other silly things I didn't really need (I have a nice GF01 servo mount though ;) ) , lo and behold when importing from Japan if its over £35 (easy with current rate exchange) you get hit for vat on the cost of parts and postage and then the Parcelforce £12.50 handling fee kicks in, so in all I had a £24 bill on top of the original £58 (20 was postage the other £38 for parts.) Really I should have just bought the gears alone and postage to keep it under £35, still a lot of money, or find somewhere else (a different country) to import from. They did the option of under declaration but in the past that info can gets put on the parcel leaving the door wide open to getting done and I think its the buyers responsibility to declare so I kept it at 100% and paid the price lol!

With high speed gears, 4300kv and 11.1v, the hct would nudge 30mph. That would be an amazing sight to behold! Hmmm, mines piloted by Ayrton Senna!! But she's supposed to be a shelfer...

large.image.jpeg.e5aab45dd76ae401b06e282

Where have you kept this beauty?! Oh yes, on the shelf as you just said!

I'm in love it's gorgeous! Did you paint it yourself?

Sorry to hear about your Jap import sting, quite annoying especially the £12.50 handling fee, daylight robbery!

Have you a part number for the high speed gears I'd love a set to make my HCT faster

4 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

Hey guys,

Great thread. Prepare to be amazed though. I have found your efforts impressive so far, but this is going to top everything.

I plan to get70+mph out of my slightly modified Wild One.

It does qualify doesn't it?

IMG_2050.JPG

Pablo that's hilarious! 

No! :)

• Like 1

****!!!

I was actually tempted to try it for a laugh.

I would need to find a set of wire-ties from badword though.