Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

I think that's a good idea turnip. I think something like a stock or modified class may be needed. By the sounds of it putting 3s in a tamiya may be the factor that pushes them into pro as someone mentioned they don't tend to fit into the standard tamiya battery compartments. Would dividing the 2 classes as 2s and below for stock, 3s and above for modified. I might have simplified the classes to much I'm not sure,  I'm new to anything like this.

Also jason are you going to have a table at the start of the thread which is updated say weekly? Regarding cheating. I think it's all light hearted fun so I don't think it will happen (hooefully). Like someone said they'd just be kidding themselves and it's not in the spirit of things.

• Like 1

Ah, but can gearbox internals be free? ie pinions, spurs, diffs etc so it is just casings that need to remain.

I like the idea of a 2S/3S divide between Stock and Modified. Basically, I see Stock as taking a stupidly powerful 540-size motor and 2S battery that fits the standard battery bay, fitting these to an otherwise-stock Tamiya model, and seeing how fast it will go.

I'd say bearings should be allowed, as well as possibly aftermarket steel pinions in sizes that would be available from Tamiya if they were alloy, but otherwise keep it very tightly controlled. To me at least, the idea of Stock is to see how fast a factory car could go if given abundant power and a driver of sufficient skill to keep it in a straight line.

• Like 1

Terz - the very first post in this thread is going to be the table you are referring to. As people submit their entries on film on this thread (like we are on page 3 now), once it's verified I will then take the members details and go put it on that first post.

I could also make a table for ‘Named Cheaters’ lol... that would be funny

Turnip we can definitely add some modified categories once the lists start filling up, I won't add any yet as it might get a bit complicated and seeing as I'm the only one on the list so far I'm feeling lonely!

We can decide on the exact categories to be added once a few more chip in with their thoughts but mainly not until we get some bums on seats (Members on the lists as they currently are)

It can be split so many ways that it could be endless if we aren’t careful with battery groups, brushed or brushless, stock shell or aftermarket shell, stock wheels or larger wheels, modified gearboxes from other cars, RWD vehicles converted to FWD cars etc etc.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

1. Some may see the challenge in optimising a stock setup.

2. others might enjoy seeing just how far a given chassis can be pushed using off-the-shelf hop-ups,

3. others might want to homebrew their own solutions from a mixture of Tamiya and home-bodged bits.

I changed your quote to reflect the order of evolution. :lol:

You start out optimizing a stock setup, move to hopups, then end up making your own stuff to get that extra bit of speed. You start with #1 and say that you have no interest in #3, but #2 is a maybe. Next thing you know, you're well into #3, have every hopup available, and just bought a whole other kit just for spare parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I just realised when looking for motors for my rigs that there’s no point getting bigger can size motors because the kv rating goes down and therefore you need to run higher voltage packs. The problem with this is, picking a brushless 3670 (Instead of say, a 3650)  sized can in the 2100kv range really requires it to be run on 3s or 4s and beyond… but these big lipo packs won’t fit our Tamiya chassis lol.

Here the creative and brave among us will shine through.

Ahh, the point in the bigger can is more torque, which means you get away with flatter gear ratio, so more speed for fewer motor RPMs (Like putting a Rolls-Royce merlin in a car). There are however, very few Tamiya cars that will a:. accept a larger can, and b, have the gear ratio flexibility to take advantage of that larger can.

PS Is using solid fuel rocket booster assistance going to be allowed ;) :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

I changed your quote to reflect the order of evolution. :lol:

You start out optimizing a stock setup, move to hopups, then end up making your own stuff to get that extra bit of speed. You start with #1 and say that you have no interest in #3, but #2 is a maybe. Next thing you know, you're well into #3, have every hopup available, and just bought a whole other kit just for spare parts.

Don't forget 4.) Build your own car entirely from scratch.

• Like 1

Just now, MadInventor said:

Don't forget 4.) Build your own car entirely from scratch.

And you claim that it started out as a Tamiya when the only thing left on it that is Tamiya are the wheels.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Ahh, the point in the bigger can is more torque, which means you get away with flatter gear ratio, so more speed for fewer motor RPMs (Like putting a Rolls-Royce merlin in a car). There are however, very few Tamiya cars that will a:. accept a larger can, and b, have the gear ratio flexibility to take advantage of that larger can.

PS Is using solid fuel rocket booster assistance going to be allowed ;) :ph34r:

Rocket fuel is allowed as long as it is disclosed in the description when submitting :P

10 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

And you claim that it started out as a Tamiya when the only thing left on it that is Tamiya are the wheels.

Wheel nuts even.

• Like 2

Lol exactly, 

I say

1. Respective Tamiya model with mods allowed but stock gear casings. Free motors, batteries, wheels, pinions, electronics. Maybe later divide it into 2S and 3S classes. I think a stock class might be a little pointless with everyone running silver cans on 2S. Where do you draw the line and the results will be so similar. Unless there is a call for who has the most efficient frictionless lunchbox.

2. Unlimited class for scratch built solid fuel rocket boosted war rigs ;) and the like.

ps. I want to see that War Rig tanker brimmed with unleaded and travelling at no less than 50mph!! ;)

• Like 1

Right guys.... it's Friday, which means tomorrow I can run a couple from my fleet for Speed runs muuaaaaahhhhh!

Anyone going to beat me onto the lists?

Hmm what should I run... the ones currently working are a Honda City Turbo, Wild Willy 2, TT-02 and a WT-01.

What categories would those 4 runners go into?

Jason try out your wt01. I'd like to see how it compares to my wt01 monster beetle when I get a gps. I can enter in 3 categories and these are the current specs. Definitely not world beaters, I just want to take part for the fun :D. (*specs will change when competitiveness kicks in and I'm at the bottom of the table :lol:).

I've got a....

Monster truck 2wd - WT-01 monster beetle with 4000kv brushless motor, unfortunately still powered by 7.2v nimh battery

Buggy 4wd - Baja champ with 15t hpi firebolt motor, 7.2v nimh

Buggy 2wd - Hornet with sport tuned motor, 7.2 nimh

Look forward to tomorrow's vids.

Terz you completely ignored my request for help in sorting my own RC's into relevant categories lol! Only kidding I'll make a fist of it myself ;p

As for my WT-01, I would run it but I haven't painted the shell yet and as per my own standards I think the running vid would look a bit pants with a clear lexan shell barrelling down the car park.... now to consider if the layers of paint would add or subtract speed to my run.... heavier keeps it planted but lighter would be les resistance! BUt once it's appointed I will be velcro'ing my GPS on it and try to get it on the list too.

My only reservation is I like to Velco the GPS on the shell, this means after I remove the GPS there is the half of the Velcro still stuck to the shell (think hook and loop stuff), it'll be an eyesore but I can live with it.... it can stay there for the next run after the next mod (Other side of the Velcro stays on the back of the GPS)

Your competiveness will kick in *when you are knocked off the table, I'll post you a 2s lipo to get you back on the list, but you have to post it back to me again after :P

As for your rigs yeah I am looking forward to seeing all them appear on this thread to....which is faster to the trained eye, the WT-01 or the Baja Champ?

• Like 1

I haven't ordered my GPS yet, trying to get my son to choose a shell so it won't be this weekend for me :(

On 10/13/2016 at 8:53 AM, Nitomor said:

I can see a lot of Tamiyas running on 3s for this, I don't think 2S will cut it for long!

I ran my TT02 on 3s for a while with the 32mm wide rims (from the 911 GT2 kit) and a HPI Countach body.   After driving it at full tilt a few times I decided however fast it was going was too fast for the design of a TT02 (definitely over 30mph... the tires/wheels couldn't really cope with the power, yes they were glued, yes it had bearings).   If I was really progressive on the throttle, it would be fine until peak power then spin out.   Also to note I was running it in 251mm wheelbase for the bodyshell.   It wasn't geared high but it had the cheapest 3300kv brushless system that money can buy.

I've since fitted the cheapest brushless system.... in the world.... to my XV01.  The XV with it's superior design and benign handling has handled the power so much better.   I haven't run it on 3s yet.  

I was without seeing this tread looking at GPS units earlier this week.  Looks like the SkyRC unit is perfect.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting to see how fast a F1 would go.  This guy claimed he did 84mph in his F201... albeit with a 5.5t motor :blink:

JK.... I have a 5.5t sensored setup for my TA05 build.

10 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

So Cody you are already eying up my 27mph Blitzer and rather than it deterring you it's made you go 'I can beat that!' 

Hmmmmm ok bring it on lol.

I don't know what you are talking about :P..     Actually I have been eyeing one, but I don't think I can justify it since I already have the Blitzer Beetle to build.  

I am actually thinking the Racing Fighter 58628 might be my ride for this..  Besides I have been wanting to try the new DT-03 anyway

2 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

I think it would be interesting to see how fast a F1 would go.  This guy claimed he did 84mph in his F201... albeit with a 5.5t motor :blink:

JK.... I have a 5.5t sensored setup for my TA05 build.

Depends on the gearing but 85MPH seems far too optimistic IMO, the 4WD drag alone would kill top speed. If it was the F103/F104 then yes possibly. When I raced my TA05R I ran a 3.5T novak motor, but it was geared for race track use. I say with a 2s pack and correct gearing 70mph would be possible but I reckon only just. It was certainly a lively race car in the unlimited class.

Thinking I might remove my Corally SP12M from the sale section and fit my Vampire Racing 5.5T Brushless motor and Reventon R ESC and see what it can do. Thats if non Tamiya is allowed as long as it fits into a category? ?

James

:)

20 minutes ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Thinking I might remove my Corally SP12M from the sale section and fit my Vampire Racing 5.5T Brushless motor and Reventon R ESC and see what it can do. Thats if non Tamiya is allowed as long as it fits into a category? ?

James

Yep we can have one Category for Non Tamiya RC's. This SP12M will be a worthy addition.

Added.

Edited by Jason1145

Good man, :) . I will be running a Tamiya Mazda 787B body and some Tamiya parts :) 

Pity I just sold my DB01R, as that would have been high up there in the 4WD buggy class :(

James

I don't know if the speed loggers you guys are planning will support it, but it would also be interesting to look at acceleration times, say fastest 0-30mph (I think 0-60 will be too high a top speed for some chassis)

I thought of a idea similar to this a while back were tamiya members could set up a basic course to do like a time trial event in the style of a gymkhana. The events were the cars race around cones and weave in and out of them and theres a sprint to the finish. More driver skill focus than car overall speed. All they'd need are the cheap plastic cones. Set them up identically and time your run and then post your time and vid of the run on the forum.

But then I thought we'd timing gear and it would be a nightmare guaranteeing people had set up the course identically. Then there's the cost of timing gear so I didn't even mention it. With the spread of members all over the world I thought it would allow us to compete at something together wherever we are. I think a top speed style of competition like jason is setting up is much more doable. I'd still love to do a gymkhana evnt though.

Here's some footage of an evo and impreza going at it 1:1 scale. B)

Bit of info incase anyone is interested.

Orion do a 3s lipo thats no much bigger than a 2s.

Orion 3s pack vs Orion 2s pack size.

20161014_172018.jpg

20161014_172150.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Bit of info incase anyone is interested.

Orion do a 3s lipo thats no much bigger than a 2s.

Orion 3s pack vs Orion 2s pack size.

20161014_172018.jpg

20161014_172150.jpg

Nice, as an aside, does anyone know where I can get a 2S LiPo that will fit within the nimh battery size profile (With the rounded edges, need something to fit in the MadBull).

Doh, just noticed the pack on the left is exactly what I'm looking for !