Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

2 hours ago, Nitomor said:

I see you updated the rules, question re gearbox, are you allowed to fit Tamiya or after market high speed gear sets/internals if they are designed to fit the stock Tamiya gear casings?

Yes I don't see why not. Have a read of Rule 6 how does that sound. 

1 hour ago, Nitomor said:

That Blitzer is lovely, stable and impressively quick. I guess the small wheeled touring cars are at a big disadvantage top speed compared to big wheelers which is kind of ironic given that in the real world the big wheelers would be less stable at speed. I'm tempted to strap my phone to the lunchbox today and go find a car park.

Doooooooo iiiiiiiiittttttt! :)

Speed Run Entry

Honda City Turbo
Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor (brushed)
QuicRun 1060 esc (brushed)
HPI Plaza 2s 3000Mah Lipo
Stock Spur and 20t pinion (Only has 18t or 20t options)
Stock wheels

Top speed was 18 KPH or 11.2 MPH
How can it be sow and fast at the same time? :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes I don't see why not. Have a read of Rule 6 how does that sound. 

Cool. I think I'd keep it slightly looser wording though tbh, "original model specific gearbox casings must be retained". I'd perhaps leave it open for modifications to it though, for example the Monster Beetle ORV guys will be running reinforced casing bracing/washer mod and the like and you don't want to word it so stringently that it excludes them. Rather than inhibit creativity, if someone can modify a stock casing to get more speed in the spirit of retaining the stock housing I say fair play to them.

I know exactly what you are trying to avoid which is using completely different gearboxes like slash on a monster racer or Mad Bull on a Hornet just because they can be made to fit somehow with reworking or other manufacturer boxes with complete reworked rear ends which again should really run in a totally unlimited class imho.

I was reading the Honda City manual this morning as I was looking for the gearing ratio, I saw the 20T pinion and although it had small wheels I really thought it would be a bit quicker. Great videos though, keep em coming lol!! It's soaking wet here, I'm waiting for some sun to come out!!

Can I take the honours for first breakage in this thread?

large.IMG_1043.JPG.0e2bd987be969c6db8c1c

it's what happens when kids leave toys in the grass and Daddy doesn't clear up first! Hang on a second, that should be their job, d'oh!

Recorded 24.4mph on my phone on a WT01 on a half worn 2s 4300kv 18T with 130mm tyres. Camera is on charge, this was a trial run have managed to bodge it up with an old steering hub that has threaded screw holes so it's just a temp thing for now but will hopefully hold up for a couple of speed runs. 2s and 3s on charge but they'll be garden runs :) today :)

Are you going to replace it with gpm alloy replacements or stick to the plastic ones? 

I think I'll stick with plastic Terz, it's the first one I've broken and I did clobber a plastic roman helmet that was upturned and full of water so got away lightly. Well I got the Go-pro sorted (first time I've used it) hooked it up to the radio and that seems to work well, got some footage, but the phone decided to turn the tracking off when I put the shell on, so I have no gps speed and I got some really good runs in before the step screw (now lost) came out of that dodgy steering hub so that is me out for the day and an unsuccessful attempt of getting everything to work together!

Anyone else get some runs in?

Honestly it's a mission and a half to get on and publish a speed run from start to finished... But it's a new mission!

So the WT-01 isn't indestructle :( 

Sounds like most Tamiya's might've come away limping, hope you donated the Roman helmet to the local museum, great find in your garden though.

What do you think to trying a CC-01 as a speed machine? I saw Tamiya Lowering kit that comprised of lower street wheels and tyres and some shock oil and a 20t pinion ( gearbox takes 16t and 20t).

I'm gonna doooooooo iiiiiiitttttt!

Edit: I just did it... A clean looking CC-01 LandFreeder shell's roller on its way to me next week.

9 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Cool. I think I'd keep it slightly looser wording though tbh, "original model specific gearbox casings must be retained". I'd perhaps leave it open for modifications to it though, for example the Monster Beetle ORV guys will be running reinforced casing bracing/washer mod and the like and you don't want to word it so stringently that it excludes them. Rather than inhibit creativity, if someone can modify a stock casing to get more speed in the spirit of retaining the stock housing I say fair play to them.

I know exactly what you are trying to avoid which is using completely different gearboxes like slash on a monster racer or Mad Bull on a Hornet just because they can be made to fit somehow with reworking or other manufacturer boxes with complete reworked rear ends which again should really run in a totally unlimited class imho.

I should like to be able to include my brushless TXT-1 at some point. However it has a gear casing I made myself, but retains the original TXT-1 gears. I think as it retains the original gears it should be ok to use, but would like to hear what others think. This thread shows the motor I will be using installed in a standard box http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71742-txt-1-with-18-brushless/#comment-516959, and here installed with the custom box http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/73621-txt-1-gearbox-designed-for-4274-brushless-motor/#comment-546981

The custom box basically just allows me to use stronger  bearings on the bottom end, and lower the CoG a bit, neither of which should affect the top speed (It will actually slow it down a bit as the new box is heavier than the old one).

Funnily enough, when Suggesting standard casings earlier, I thought to myself what about that lovely work of art WT gearbox that was for sale just recently but to argue its case would have been longwinded and i didn't really expect it to come up as its such a rarity and like yours, serves little performance purpose and if anything adds weight. In my view, it is still well within the spirit of the competition so I for one would have no issue with it and in fact would love to see it. I guess this is why rule books get so long and complicated lol as they evolve to cover every permutation both preemptive and new developments as they occur.

Lol, Jason is going to have fun ;) 

Mad Inventor, yeah I want to say go for it but it's in direct contravention of rule 6 which says you need original gearboxes... Yours is a custom made one so maybe your TXT should not go on the list for 4WD MT  ( with other stock gear cased Tamiya's) but rather the custom list.

Trust you to do it the complete opposite way round, casing and internals lol!

I'm going to try and keep the rules as simple as they are now, most of the important stuff seems to be covered.

I was just checking out ebay looking at sky rc units, and spotted a 2nd hand F103 GT Tamiya, fitted with larger foams and a 5.5 T novak system lol

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

I was just checking out ebay looking at sky rc units, and spotted a 2nd hand F103 GT Tamiya, fitted with larger foams and a 5.5 T novak system lol

Yes but can you live with yourself if you buy a rerady made speed machine instead of cobbling and bodging it together yourself??

Note - I define "cobbling and bodging" as merely installing the motor, pinion, esc and binding the radio set yourself :D

CC-01.... hmmm.... haven't thought that far ahead...... well it's 4WD.... but not a Monster Truck or a buggy or a touring car..... so heck... maybe I'd have to make a Category just for them, like I did with the Honda City Turbo as that was a stand alone car too.

Actually this makes it very easy to find these cars in the lists for comparisons between owners of these models. Maybe there will be more cars that don't fit into a general category, maybe those too can have their own class.

Guys this is getting boring, I might as well just re-nme this thread "Jason1145 - Fastest Official Tamiya RC'er" - where are the vid entries?!

SPEED RUN ENTRY

Tamiya Wild Willy 2
Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor - brushed
Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC
6Cell 3300Mah NImh Battery
Stock Spur and 18t Pinion
Stock wheels/tyres.

Top Speed - 22KPH / 13.7MPH

I received my sky rc gps today so you'll have some competition soon :) I just fitted a 1060 esc to my Monster Hornet tonight so I'm planning to do a test on this along with my WT01 if my replacement steering hub arrives in time. Might even give the Aero Avante a run too.

On 10/14/2016 at 0:38 PM, Wooders28 said:

Bit of info incase anyone is interested.

Orion do a 3s lipo thats no much bigger than a 2s.

Orion 3s pack vs Orion 2s pack size.

20161014_172150.jpg

I don't even run a full size pack if space is a concern.  It's not like you have voltage drop with a smaller size battery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Guys this is getting boring, I might as well just re-nme this thread "Jason1145 - Fastest Official Tamiya RC'er" - where are the vid entries?!

Hehe. I'm still waiting on my GPS, I took the slow ebay option.

I think my first three will be, CC01, DT03, TT02b. I'm going to get a base line with how they are now - mostly stock with hotter motors, and then see where I can get to. Both the CC01 and TT02b suffer from gear box clicking, so I might need a rather large bit of tarmac to get the most out of them :lol:

That's my plan for the week/weekend, see if I can find a decent tarmac area that's quiet in daylight.

I have a pair of heli twister 3D storm 11.1v 3S "high discharge" soft packs (nowhere near as high as above), they're quite a bit smaller than a nimh. But they're only 1800mah and 20c so I can only really have a draw of 36Amps continuous discharge rate. My dual brushless, dual servo rig draws continous of 20 amp so a single motor and servo should be like 10A which ought to be fine but that was current draw on 2s which I imagine would be higher on 3s. It'll be trial and error to get some data and I'm looking forward to experimenting. My only concern is with the discharge rate of this relatively small capacity battery but I think it'll be fine on a single motor setup. I could always hook them up together to double the capacity!

I'm starting to see a lot of welcome words on this thread like CC01, DF03, Aero Avante! Can't wait for these to all get posted up and get some baseline figures on how fast they are.

i think it's good to find out how fast your RC is in stock (ish) form and then measure what changes it.

The most common questions from the public are "How much is it?" And "How fast does it go?"

Now I know my :

Blitzer Beetle - 26.7 MPH

TT-02 - 17.4 MPH 

Wild Willy 2 - 13.7 MPH

Honda City Turbo - 11.2 MPH

This is gold dust information, and even if these speeds increase the first post will show the top speeds only, but if you trawl through the whole thread you will ultimately find previous speeds on previous set ups which will hopefully help future readers.i know I always wanted this information but couldn't find it very easily.