Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

Looking forward to the rise of the TT02's, mine is coming together nicely.  Just need to decide on electronics and I might even get a few test run's with it this weekend.   

20170628_184328.jpg

Yep that's looking good Dougo... hope it's all up n running soon then I can get some motorvation lol.

You're just missing the ultimate bling part, alloy battery bar!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

Looking forward to the rise of the TT02's, mine is coming together nicely.  Just need to decide on electronics and I might even get a few test run's with it this weekend.   

20170628_184328.jpg

Is that a Lego death star in the background?

21 minutes ago, Hyperlite said:

Is that a Lego death star in the background?

Good spot. I love Lego Star Wars :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil_H said:

I was worried it had broken (its had a few rolls recently). So re positioned it and ran without the shell a few times and it was working fine , must have just lost signal. 

Anyway..I've had it in my car since that run and it's pretty much spot on. I even put it in a little storage slot in the dash, and it still registered. 

I'm going to put my Sat Nav on one of the cars and the SkyRC and do some low speed, short burst  runs and see what the difference is

Why don't you just put the skyrc in your 1:1 car. You can take along a passenger who can easily calibrate / compare the skyrc unit against your satnav at several speeds then, and you can also get an idea of how long the skyrc unit takes to register a change in peak speed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Yeah good idea....

A bit easier to do 👍🏻

El D... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282131755130 

If you do the comparison, I  and I'm sure the others using the SkyRC unit would be interested to know what results you find out (min time for an accurate reading, if the unit reads high / low, etc.

22 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

If you do the comparison, I  and I'm sure the others using the SkyRC unit would be interested to know what results you find out (min time for an accurate reading, if the unit reads high / low, etc.

Do you really want to know if it reads low...

Lol... I did take my SKYRC on a trip in my 1:1 on the dash and it kept pace with the 1:1 equipped Satnav giving speed changes within 1 second, well, as fast and safely as I could gaze from one to the other whilst driving.

Either way it was enough to satisfy me that the SKYRC ( my one) gave pretty accurate readings in a 1 second window.

I think I've seen some speed runs on here that have only looked to peak at top speed for a second or two and one back with high top speeds, as in, it looks like it grabbed the speed.

• Like 2

I've only just really paid attention to this thread. Needless to say a SKYRC unit is on the way for my Birthday and I can then join in the fun. I just need to decide which TC to choose to mod.. and to find somewhere suitable to do it.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, qatmix said:

I just need to decide which TC to choose to mod..

Unfortunately, it is going to be TC's that are you going to run the quickest.

46 minutes ago, qatmix said:

and to find somewhere suitable to do it.

That's the hard part! 😀

16 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Why don't you just put the skyrc in your 1:1 car. You can take along a passenger who can easily calibrate / compare the skyrc unit against your satnav at several speeds then, and you can also get an idea of how long the skyrc unit takes to register a change in peak speed.

I've two skyrc units plus a head up GPS Speedo (snooper 3zero) on the dash, so could possibly just set them up on the dash and film it to be watched after.

You may be interested in this:

http://www.velocity-rc.com/cgi-bin/vrc/prod/manager.cgi?action=show&pid=82

HobbyKing do similar.  TBH I think this was based on above previous version.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-gps-logger-v2-with-backlit-lcd-display-neo-6-u-blox.html

For signal acquisition, consider not painting roof of vehicle and just sticker it.

The only T cars I would consider modding for serious speed would be TRF 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 kits.

1 hour ago, M 800STD said:

The only T cars I would consider modding for serious speed would be TRF 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 kits.

My £35 TA-03 performed OK :) 

Have another 4WD on the way for some more tests

• Like 2

Man I'm in balls deep then with my FF01!  £37 and some bits I robbed from the parts draw and I think I can get a little more out of it yet......   

Not sure I'd want a TRF anything cartwheeling down the road at 50+ looking for a curb lol 

2 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Eh?

So you wouldn't consider the TA03, Ff03 or DF02 for serious speed?

Boosted you might be missing a trick then as they are the top 3 cars all achieving over 60MPH 

I hope you enter one of those chassis you mentioned (TRF's) soon so we can see just how how worthy they are, what speeds have they been seen doing as Im not familiar with them.

In saying that though it shouldn't be hard to get a car on the lists, look at my DF02... I only heard about them from Mad Inventor speed running his. So I bought one 2nd hand on eBay, fixed it up, chucked in a hot motor and big lipo and some weights on the front and now it's the overall 3rd fastest Tamiya ( at the time of writing) - not exactly hard to do considering it's a very old, antiquated even, basic entry level buggy design.

Yep even Phil's TA03 was cheaper than mine!

Come on TRF's I want to see one on the list, don't let these basic Tamiya's dominate ;)

2 hours ago, M 800STD said:

You may be interested in this:

http://www.velocity-rc.com/cgi-bin/vrc/prod/manager.cgi?action=show&pid=82

HobbyKing do similar.  TBH I think this was based on above previous version.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-gps-logger-v2-with-backlit-lcd-display-neo-6-u-blox.html

For signal acquisition, consider not painting roof of vehicle and just sticker it.

Luckily I have all of those :) I used to get 60+ on some of the larger race tracks when doing mod. 

Im going to probably use one of my 415's as I have a Few scrappy donor cars which I could raid to make a speed car. 

I wouldn't say they are necessarily any better for speed runs. They are a race car and you win races on the corners, that's where a top end car is better, handling and response.

I will only use one as that's what I have more spares for so it's cheaper for me to use it as I have my shelfer so the other 415's are part complete or very worn.

21 hours ago, El Dougo said:

@Phil_H  Can you post a link to the foam's with the mixed compound please, I need some :)  

Thanks

Phil you didn't link the foams for Dougo... tsk tsk... share your loot ;)

1 minute ago, qatmix said:

Luckily I have all of those :) I used to get 60+ on some of the larger race tracks when doing mod. 

Im going to probably use one of my 415's as I have a Few scrappy donor cars which I could raid to make a speed car. 

As if by magic, a TRF to join the fun ;)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Eh?

So you wouldn't consider the TA03, Ff03 or DF02 for serious speed?

Boosted you might be missing a trick then as they are the top 3 cars all achieving over 60MPH 

I think you and @M 800STD have different opinions on "serious speed" !

Mind he's building a 4s car to beat the 170mph record! 😎😁

• Like 3

@Jason1145Unfortunately I don't have a TRF, but if I did, that would of been entered straight away and I wouldn't of bothered wasting money on a F103, as the TRF would be a better challenge car.

It's good to see another member has TRFs and is willing to give it a go.

qatmix has proven my point by his testimonial, in how fast they are.  The design of chassis lends itself better to mods, such as larger motors/ESC and so on, unlike the other cars mentioned.

If Phil purchased his car, body, wheel/tyres and electrics all for £35, well what can I say - absolute bargain.

lol,  Wooders - shhh, it's a secret.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Phil you didn't link the foams for Dougo... tsk tsk... share your loot ;)

I did, bit the item is not on eBay anymore...

19 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Yeah good idea....

A bit easier to do 👍🏻

El D... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282131755130 

Anyway...

Wheelspin have them cheap

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/80530/?gclid=CO21__y949QCFc-17QoduzsByQ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

@Jason1145

If Phil purchased his car, body, wheel/tyres and electrics all for £35, well what can I say - absolute bargain.

Chassis is all we are talking about isn't it?

A £35 chassis doing over 100kph is worthy of some credit....and lets be honest, it was running £40's worth of Chinese motor and ESC, should be a breeze to beat ;) 

@Phil_HAbsolutely!  Not knocking you, far from it and much credit given.

No, as to make a fast car you also need good electrics.  I suppose the point that I was trying to make is your entry did not just cost £35 only.

Anyway no prejudice/malice was intended, just not feeling articulate right now.  : )

• Like 1