Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

On 7/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Kingfisher said:

Where is everyone getting the different size spur gears? The only thing I can find for TT02 is the high-speed spur gear set, which is 68T.

Any sedan style spur will work. You can even change the pitch but you must match pitch with the pinion. 

• Like 1

Gearing Question.....

I'm not 100% sure on gearing, I'm using 48dp Spur/pinion and because the teeth are finer, the gears are smaller but with the same amount of teeth as the 0.6 equivalent. So, does the size & teeth make the difference, or is it all down to the physical size of the gear?? 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Phil_H said:

Gearing Question.....

I'm not 100% sure on gearing, I'm using 48dp Spur/pinion and because the teeth are finer, the gears are smaller but with the same amount of teeth as the 0.6 equivalent. So, does the size & teeth make the difference, or is it all down to the physical size of the gear?? 

Cheers

It's all down to the diameters of the gears, the teeth count is irrelevant. Smaller teeth give more teeth which makes them smoother but weaker, chunkier teeth are rougher and noisier, but stronger.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this at work today.

Tooth count must be relevant, if the Pinion had 40t & Spur has 80t....the pinion must do 2 rotations for every 1 of the spur. Regardless of diameter? 

5 hours ago, Phil_H said:

I've been thinking about this at work today.

Tooth count must be relevant, if the Pinion had 40t & Spur has 80t....the pinion must do 2 rotations for every 1 of the spur. Regardless of diameter? 

That's correct, but if you keep the tooth count the same and change the diameter, you are not changing the ratios of the pitch circle diameters of the gears, so the ratios of the diameters stays the same, and hence the gear ratio. It's the diameters, or more precisely the PCDs of the gears that determines the ratio, not the tooth count. As long as the PCD does not vary, the number of teeth on the gear can altered by altering the pitch of the gears and the overall gear ratio will not change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Country Mike said:

to create something like this ala Fred Williams and his Ultimate Adventure Jeep,

I think you cracked it dude!  Got my money on that beast for the first triple figure run :)  

A-Main order arrived today with some pinions for my TT02, I'll do some test fitting later and report back if the 55/36 combo works. 

I also bought another speed run car it's a much longer term project but with this one I'm aiming for over 100Mph.  I'll pick it up on Sunday so will post some picks then.

@Catchy did you mange to get a run in yet?  Just noticed the abysmal forecast for the weekend!

@Hyperlite Not quite what I had in mind but I like it :)  

I just got the tt02b dialed in and ready for another speed run and my gps battery will no longer hold a charge.  It turns off the instant you unplug it from the wall.  So until @Jason1145or I find a source for batteries for the skyrc gps I guess I'm done speed running, or until the impulse strikes to buy another gps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macinnis said:

I just got the tt02b dialed in and ready for another speed run and my gps battery will no longer hold a charge.  It turns off the instant you unplug it from the wall.  So until @Jason1145or I find a source for batteries for the skyrc gps I guess I'm done speed running, or until the impulse strikes to buy another gps. 

You can cut the plug and wire off the old battery, and wire it to the jst balance cable connector of whatever Lipo you are using. Connect the black wire to 0V wire (black) on the jst and the red wire to the wire next to it (White wire on all my connectors), and then you can run the Skyrc off the main LiPo. You only need to find a connector then to connect onto the balance connector on the main Lipo, cheaper than buying a 1cell LiPo.

Makes the car a bit lighter and you don't have to worry about charging the GPS for each run ;)

• Like 3

Mac maybe try what Madinventor said, I think I still have spare SKYRC GPS with no battery for it :(

Mac maybe try what Madinventor said, I think I still have spare SKYRC GPS with no battery for it :(

15 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Gearing Question.....

Cheers

Different pitch gears are about either having more strength (32dp) or more refinement (64dp). You also have much less friction resistance with finer gears. 

@Macinnis @Jason1145 there's loads of  3.7v 200mah lipo batteries on eBay starting at under £2.

Having seen this - 

Does anyone have tamiya buggies with 540's that we can run, say 2s lipo?

I've the boomerang, lunchbox, monster beetle and dark impact I could maybe run.

Wooders it's getting one with the same connector on it I'm after, those wires are too thin for me to safely strip to get the old connector on to, I'd need a ready made replacement done.... most of those on Ebay have no connector and I can't crimp my old connector on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Wooders it's getting one with the same connector on it I'm after, those wires are too thin for me to safely strip to get the old connector on to

I'd just strip them with my teeth, chop off the connector, twist the wires together,solder + heatshrink, but then I'm not renowned for my neatness! 😂

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Macinnis said:

I just got the tt02b dialed in and ready for another speed run and my gps battery will no longer hold a charge.

That really sucks, I've been looking forward to seeing your next run.  I can recommend an old Garmin Forerunner 201/301, when I got mine they were going for about £30 on flea bay.

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I'd just strip them with my teeth, chop off the connector, twist the wires together,solder + heatshrink

+1, Wooders for president :) 

Edit: Jason can you post an extreme close up of the connector?  Normally you would be able to unclip the pins and slide them out. 

Found your old thread, it looks like you should be able to slide the pins out.  If your stuck I could sort it out for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

The shoe fits :)  (48 pitch 55t spur with 37t pinion) 

20170719_183710

Now put the gear cover on it 😳

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Dougo said:

That really sucks, I've been looking forward to seeing your next run.  I can recommend an old Garmin Forerunner 201/301, when I got mine they were going for about £30 on flea bay.

+1, Wooders for president :) 

Edit: Jason can you post an extreme close up of the connector?  Normally you would be able to unclip the pins and slide them out. 

Found your old thread, it looks like you should be able to slide the pins out.  If your stuck I could sort it out for you.

Typical, now I can't find it arrgghhh, thanks for the offer though Dougo that's very nice of you.

Update, new 67t spur and 22t pinion fitted, jsut got to match up a 2.4g radio now and see if it all talks to eachother.

2vGfBAv.jpg

Y0X6VZA.jpg

QYcHGTE.jpg

• Like 3

Should have a new Spur by Saturday...fingers crossed it will match up to the Pinion, had about a 3mm gap on my first attempt of my monster gearing! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Phil_H said:

Should have a new Spur by Saturday...fingers crossed it will match up to the Pinion, had about a 3mm gap on my first attempt of my monster gearing! 

You should have gone for a bigger pinion :).... hang on are you already running the Kraken!? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

You should have gone for a bigger pinion :).... hang on are you already running the Kraken!? 

40t pinion, we'll see how that goes first :) 

I found an awesome stretch of road it is like a Big Dipper, long run down smooth at the bottom and then rises up the other side... downhill will surely help it get up to speed better, not that my 4wd DF02 needs much help... I might have to try it out there next run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I found an awesome stretch of road it is like a Big Dipper, long run down 

I found a long run down, just no up. Managed to blow the esc up, so just watch the temps! 

20170624_154859.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I found a long run down, just no up. Managed to blow the esc up, so just watch the temps! 

Have you blown the second castle 6s esc? Or is that the road you did the first one on?

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have you blown the second castle 6s esc? Or is that the road you did the first one on?

First one! 

Not had time to fit the second one yet.😕

• Like 1