Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

We need more room!

Not an official entry yet as I couldn’t get to full speed before having to slow again. 

4300kv, 2s lipo, 17T pinion, 28mph

My boy decided to hand the control over to me as he was worried he would be able to stop so he took over filming for my run above, but the then I stuffed it into the curb!

Edit, getting it wrong vid added:

Won’t take much fixing & it will run again, that bumper mount has seen its last bodge, time for a new one! I hope the battery will be ok, the cells inside look ok....

C896C633-117D-495F-B4F3-58E1C9620F4F.jpeg

Edited by Andyrt200
Adding video
  • Like 1

You definitely need a bigger run up, nice to see a Thundershot make an appearance on the speed lists though so keep it up!

• Like 1

I got my mitts on setup station, only a couple degrees toe out but even with the fixed front top arms the front camber isn't even :wacko:.  

20180223_092716

I might get out tomorrow for a 60Mph attempt.  

Anyone running a locked ball diff?  If so how did you do it?   I'm having second thoughts about melting the TB Evo 4 diffs :lol:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, El Dougo said:

I got my mitts on setup station, only a couple degrees toe out but even with the fixed front top arms the front camber isn't even :wacko:.  

20180223_092716

I might get out tomorrow for a 60Mph attempt.  

Anyone running a locked ball diff?  If so how did you do it?   I'm having second thoughts about melting the TB Evo 4 diffs :lol:

That looks like a nice bit of kit. I use laser levels & weighted string on degree board on 1:1s but thats not so effective when working at 1/10 scale! 

Diff putty in a regular cog diff has made my WR-01 much more stable, but that is running much lower speeds than you! 

This is the thread on diff putty if you hadn’t heard of it, I hadn’t. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84553-silicone-diff-oil/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Anyone running a locked ball diff?

If its locked, does it matter if its got balls? 🤔 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

Well it's got no balls

Expected the link to be a ' horrible basses 2' clip!  😂😂😂

Some utter lunacy in this thread. It’s great!

Makes me want to find something to build for it or have a crack with the Top Force when done. 

One question. There’s too many posts to check but are these runs on tarmac irrespective of the cars actual design? If so, what about a separate sub category for off road. Grass/Gravel/Sand. 2wd/4wd.

I don’t know enough yet (if I ever will) but surely it will require a new setup and a hole new dimension.

55 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Some utter lunacy in this thread. It’s great!

Makes me want to find something to build for it or have a crack with the Top Force when done. 

One question. There’s too many posts to check but are these runs on tarmac irrespective of the cars actual design? If so, what about a separate sub category for off road. Grass/Gravel/Sand. 2wd/4wd.

I don’t know enough yet (if I ever will) but surely it will require a new setup and a hole new dimension.

The surface with the least amount of rolling resistance will give you the fastest speed. Any car will be faster on a flat smooth surface than in grass. That said, there have been some runs on gravel, and I think I saw one on grass.

You don't have to build a car specifically for the speed run thread. You can run the cars you have as is just to see where they place on the lists if you want too.

33 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

The surface with the least amount of rolling resistance will give you the fastest speed. Any car will be faster on a flat smooth surface than in grass. That said, there have been some runs on gravel, and I think I saw one on grass.

You don't have to build a car specifically for the speed run thread. You can run the cars you have as is just to see where they place on the lists if you want too.

Oh I get that. Just thinking it’d add a new dimension trying to be the fastest on a less than ideal surface. 

It'd have to be a new car for me.  The only runner is the kids one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Yes, it’s great to see what silly speeds the on road only cars will do, but I only have off road cars so will only be running them. The off road cars can never get close but its fun trying!

You do need a clean smooth long run though. There are some runs from my Scorcher a page or two back with a 3300kv motor, it was in a carpark with a little surface lose gravel on it, I just couldn’t get it hooked up. It was almost as fast on deep gravel but it got crashed. 

I just got it rebuilt with a new silver can it’s going to keep so my boy wanted to go for a bash in the park in the last of the snow. So we took that & the G6, both were good in the snow but I found a nice long path there the snow had mostly melted from & got the Scorcher up to 22mph (just 1mph less than the best brushless run) but wasn’t expecting to be doing speed runs so didn’t have anything to film & record speed with, I managed to eject my brand new iPhone from the Scorcher at 20odd mph, luckily it survived!

Tyres make a big difference, most off road cars have spiky tyres which are obviously rubbish on hard surfaces so its a case of finding something that will work. I’d actually put the newish paddle tyres back on the Scorcher as I figured they’d be the best for snow but they seem the best for tarmac so far too. 

My boy decided it was more fun playing with his sister in the snow so I got to drain 4 packs through both cars myself & had a great afternoon! 

Thunder Shot is all fixed now too but the weather got in the way of speed runs, so I thought I’d test how waterproof the Goolrc set up was in the snow. With a very lightly snow coverd field it only managed 14mph (half the crap carpark speed) but it was surprisingly good in the bits of very deep snow. It managed to surf over the top with its smooth underside, note how deep the footprints are next to it. As soon as the tyres hit grass under the snow it stopped but we had it going much further than that in the deep snow, only my fingers were too cold for much filming!

• Like 2

Why did i not think of putting the GPS on the bullhead for the first official snow speed run!?!?!? 😥

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Why did i not think of putting the GPS on the bullhead for the first official snow speed run!?!?!? 😥

I almost did but the old iPhone I use goes crazy when it gets a few splash's of water on the touch screen, so that ******d up any official run! 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Official entry 

(Please excuse me not being able to get speed in focus at the for a bit, I sped that bit up)

Thunder Shot 

4x4

4300KV motor

2S Lipo

17T pinion

Boomerang front wheels, stock rear with unknown tyres

38.4mph, 61.8kph

Found a better place, no room for any more there though, it needed the full length to get that reading.

It seems to run really straight once it gets going, I think centrifugal force keeps the wheels all going the same way with the 4x4. Those Boomerang front wheels are off one of my old cars from back in the day, traction not so much of an issue with 4x4s! 

(My daughter got the next runner in shot there too, my first car, Hornet talking Barbie for a spin...)

What are the rules on bigger wheels? The motor wasn’t that warm after that run so I think it can take a bit more, my GF-01 wheels fit fine but it is changing the gearing really.

• Like 3

Lists updated ( you still need a bigger run way pal!) 

Good job on the controls though ;)

Thought I might put an update here. I’m rebuilding my TT02 with some S type suspension and a few other goodies. I modified a set of DF03 hubs to fit as they have no camber (not like all the other TT02 type parts for touring cars and drifting).

F1963268-B13B-424A-8E50-C2C13546B124.jpeg

96D6E71B-A4F6-4CC8-AA43-3F0C795F3A69.jpeg

6CCA5BD8-229E-4EC6-A058-7886D90D3F6A.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

What are the rules on bigger wheels? The motor wasn’t that warm after that run so I think it can take a bit more, my GF-01 wheels fit fine but it is changing the gearing really.

Bigger is better :D  Check out @Wooders28 run's. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated ( you still need a bigger run way pal!) 

Good job on the controls though ;)

There is a very nice main road close by, I was trying to avoid using it but think we’ll have to give it a go if we can find a quiet time.

I had a go my self after filming my son make that run, I only managed 36mph, I couldn’t get on the power as early as he did, there is a curve at the start of that path that doesn’t show up so well.  

I think a longer run with the same wheels first, then the bigger ones. 

• Like 1

Had my eye on this for a while and pulled the trigger last week, it should make a big difference over the 7400Mah 90C that I've been running in the FF03.  

20180311_204224

I'm hoping that with the battery, an extra tooth on the pinion and some ESC timing it will break the 90Mph barrier.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Had my eye on this for a while and pulled the trigger last week, it should make a big difference over the 7400Mah 90C that I've been running in the FF03.  

20180311_204224

I'm hoping that with the battery, an extra tooth on the pinion and some ESC timing it will break the 90Mph barrier.

High voltage too! 👍 

I managed to get an hours testing in yesterday, I had four cars with me and not one successful run.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, El Dougo said:

The Marigold solution didn't end well so back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

20180314_101321

Another M05 wheel failure, the 42T pinion in the FF03 is a smidgen too big and fouls with the gear cover and my HPI Sport 3 was overheating.......  next time :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1