Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

23 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Just incase anyone wonders what a 7700kv 3s Dark Impact on a wet road handles like....

Nice to see you back out there enjoying the Scottish summer bud :)  

18 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Official re-entry

Blackfoot

RWD

48.9mph or 78.7kph

That's really very impressive for a Blackfoot and so close to the magic 50Mph.

I doubt that Jason will accept that one due to the tumble but it's a good excuse to get back out there and try again.  Can you add timing or boost with the Gool RC stuff?  Just a smidgen would probably be enough and if that's not an option a bigger capacity battery or one with a higher constant discharge rate would most likely do the trick.

I haven't resolved My M05 tyre problem yet and the TB Evo has more damage than I initially thought (driveshafts bent on one side) so I'm stuck waiting on RC Mart before I can run again :( 

• Haha 1

@El Dougo

Thanks, good point about the roll. My driver obviously had to bail with the oncoming traffic, he also made a good point that he figured it was better to roll to slow it rather than risk hitting that bolard. The roll at the end next run bent a wheel axle & suspension arm & so popped the drive shaft leaving it stranded with oncoming traffic, as I said we need a better place to run!

The Moster Beetle tyres seem to work really well for speed running, I have huge problems with most of the other cars tyres (Apart from the WT01 with running the same MB tyres!)

I don’t think it possible to change anything on the GoolRC ESC I have, I think it needs to be an S series for that, even them you can’t adjust the timing. It would be nice to back off the brakes a bit though, using them on the Blackfoot is like trying to do a handbrake turn at 40odd MPH, I tried that many years ago in my mums Fiesta shortly after passing my driving test, that didn’t end well either! 

I have got a GoolRC 5200kv motor that got an extra 3mph out of the WT01 over the 4300kv, so hopefully that will be able to push it to the magic 50 :) Then they have an ESC that would allow me to run 4s with the 5200kv if I feel really silly...

I was a bit worried about heat with the high gearing so used the 4300kv, but nothing was even remotely warm after those runs. As opposed to my TT02 that went up in smoke on the last page! Lots of doughnuts before the speed run was obviously not a good idea... 

1 hour ago, El Dougo said:

Nice to see you back out there enjoying the Scottish summer bud :)  

Only morning it rained! 😠

You've sent up your thunder storms, I was hoping it was our turn for a summer 😎

On 6/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, Andyrt200 said:

Not much luck with speed running. Even after a full rebuild Thunder Shot is still very hard to drive fast on hard surfaces, it just pulls off to side as you accelerate. It looks like its the sudo steering rack arms, there is too much vertical movement in them. I put new arms on but the brass top hat must be worn. 

Blackfoot was perfect, but I didn’t have enough road, it takes longer to slow down than get up to speed! 

I thought we’d try the new TT02 with the protective cover still on the body. In totally stock form apart from bearings 25t pinion 68t counter & the 4300kv motor it was a bit of a handful, but ended with lots of smoke before any decent speed runs ☹️

At least my daughter caught it on video! (Skip to the end if you just want to see the smoke!)

Andy if that was a LiPo Battery in there st the truck me of smoking then you got very lucky, in that,  it wasn’t the battery going up in smoke as you would’ve had to keep the kids well back and yourself too just in case... that was pretty risky what you did opening it up like that.. just saying.. I know your phone was there etc etc but you didn’t know it wasn’t the lipo flaming up if it was one?

I’ll shut up if you say it was a nimh battery ;)

• Sad 1

On 6/3/2018 at 4:26 PM, Wooders28 said:

Just incase anyone wonders what a 7700kv 3s Dark Impact on a wet road handles like....

I think you gave up too early Wooders, ... you reckon just taking it slower to build up the speed from further away could’ve got your top speed?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Official re-entry

Blackfoot

RWD

GoolRC 4300kv 

3s lipo

Full Frog gear set with 19t pinion

Stock wheels & the MB spiked tyres (with spikes work off) 

48.9mph or 78.7kph

They may be a bit more in it, but we need to find somewhere with more space & no cars! 

Loads of other work gone into getting this fast, I just updated this with the latest frog gear set mods: 

Yeah sorry Andy, the crash means the run is invalid as per the rules... it is certainly fast though.

ps- even without the crash it would be invalid as I spotted the little driver in the Blackfoot... that’s cheating, it’s supposed to be RC!

• Haha 1

Lists updated!

@Wooders28 that’s 9 cars on the lists for you.

Lucky I can still make edit changes to my very first post to update these entries, I couldn’t even correct a recently made post for a misspelling!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I think you gave up too early Wooders, ... you reckon just taking it slower to build up the speed from further away could’ve got your top speed?

Tried on other runs, but anything past half throttle lit up the tyres, so thought better to walk away than smash the thing up. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 8:52 PM, Wooders28 said:

Tried on other runs, but anything past half throttle lit up the tyres, so thought better to walk away than smash the thing up. 

Very sensible, I found the same thing with even slightly damp roads. We were up in Scotland last week (where the TT02s ESC went up in smoke) it was very nice apart from one day, very unlucky for you! 

@Jason1145

No problem about the roll, as wooders said good reason to try again! That’s my original Rambling Ron I painted when I was 12 inside the new body, I’m glad he made it along for the ride, my 12 year old self could never have dreamed of getting it this fast...

Your right about the lipo though, I wasn’t really thinking & more bothered about the brand new car. I was sure it was the ESC smoking rather than the battery before the kids caught up with me, but your right still stupid really. My daughter was very taken with the pink smoke though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Very sensible

I must be getting old, first time someone's said that!! 😂

12 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

We were up in Scotland last week (where the TT02s ESC went up in smoke) it was very nice apart from one day, very unlucky for you! 

Yeah, unseasonably dry! 🙄 

My luck though, as soon as I get a chance (heading home sunday morning, off a nightshift ) the heavens opened! 

Still it's sat ready for another run, although it's a bit twitchy, so I'm going to alter the steering curve.

• Haha 3

Hopefully an official entry 

TT02

4x4

4300kv

3s lipo

25t pinon, 68t counter gear

Stock Porsche wheels & slick tyres. 

31.8mph or 51.2kph

At least I finished painting the wheels this time, not that that helps it go! The tyres are very carefully glued all round but it just spins out every time we hit full power. We both had a good few goes but it always span out at that speed, nowhere near the top speed it should be able to manage. Hopefully the spin doesn’t count the same as a roll over. The phone error message from not having a sim was a pain too...

Funnily enough Thunder Shot was very similar after I removed all the play in the steering, we couldn’t get over 33mph before spinning out either. I didn’t bother with a video of that as the 50mph beach run was obviously far better!

I think it’s probably something to do with both cars having wided rear tyres, so they balloon up more than the fronts, being 4x4s the rear end is trying to over take the front.

But I’m open to any other theories anyone else has. 

ThunderShot will just have to wait till we get back to that beach, it is an off road car anyway! The G6 & Thundershot both ran far better on the hard sand than tarmac. 

But I’d like to get the TT02 running better on the road as it is really a road car. Whats the chances of making it rear drive only working? Or is it more likely to just hit the curb even harder?! I could try some different wheels that are the same widths front & rear, but really wanted to run the correct staggered Fuchs wheels with that body (even if I haven’t dared putting the decals on yet). 

• Like 3

Lists updated.

Andy try getting some standard on road treaded tyres instead of the slicks, that might give you more traction and reduce the spinning out nearer top end.

Speed Run Entry Silver Can 

TA-04

3S

48 pin

72 spur

Contact foam tyres 

41 mph or 66 kph 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyperlite said:

48 pin
72 spur

41 mph or 66 kph

Close but no cigar :lol:  I did a quick bit of man math and your FDR is 3.205 and on my Silver Can run I had a FDR of 3.12!   If you go with a 66t pinion (2.935 FDR) you should get the record although I was running on rubber tyres so may have gained some gearing from the tyres expanding.

I have the bits to fix my TB EVO but I'm at Woodspring Wings this weekend so planning on ruining the weekend after if you can make it!   How's your FF03 looking ??

I was going to post my 94Mph run but Ivan's Video is so bad I didn't bother :(.

3 hours ago, Hyperlite said:

TA-04

3S

48 pin

72 spur

Contact foam tyres 

41 mph or 66 kph 

Good run,

That sounded like it was still pulling or its maybe just the recording? 

Yeah I think there is a little more to be had with this set up, not sure the 540 agrees but I push him till the smoke comes out 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hyperlite said:

Yeah I think there is a little more to be had with this set up

Need to find yourself a new road, smooth, wide, and downhill 😉

3 minutes ago, Hyperlite said:

not sure the 540 agrees but I push him till the smoke comes out

They ain't too keen on 3s (although the bullhead has had a load of packs through it) but cheap as chips, no ban on smoking outside yet!! 😁🖒

• Like 1

@Jason1145 rules clarification:  "Speed Runs must have the bodyshell mounted on the Chassis - This can be the Original Tamiya shell or a lexan/hardbody aftermarket one."

What about a homemade body?  I'm kind of inspired by this.

Schl%C3%B6rwagen.jpg

Schl%C3%B6rwagen_from_the_front.jpg

Plans-1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Jason1145 rules clarification:  "Speed Runs must have the bodyshell mounted on the Chassis - This can be the Original Tamiya shell or a lexan/hardbody aftermarket one."

Schl%C3%B6rwagen.jpg

Plans-1.jpg

I think we’d all like to see that bombing down the road! Carry on.

That rule is just to make sure a Bodyshell is fitted and all entries so far have complied so no need to put limits on it yet ;)

13 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated 

Jason, my entry today was aimed at the silver can category :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hyperlite said:

Jason, my entry today was aimed at the silver can category :rolleyes: 

Sorry just correcting that now... shhhhhh ;)

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Schl%C3%B6rwagen.jpg

Plans-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I think we’d all like to see that bombing down the road! Carry on.

What he said 👆

Interested how you go about making one, 3d print? Balsa? Access to a vac former? 🤔

• Like 3

On 6/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, Wooders28 said:

What he said 👆

Interested how you go about making one, 3d print? Balsa? Access to a vac former? 🤔

I've been researching and thinking about this, and it's likely I would 3D print at least one of them initially.  After that, though, I could make a mold from the first body and then use rotational molding to make more copies.  Not sure if the right resins are available to make a perfectly clear body from the mold, but I'm attracted to the process because all sorts of body features, even undercuts, are possible in a single piece.  Also, some resins don't require heat and will simply air-cure while the mold is spinning.

• Like 2

Well this evening I decided to have a go at a speed run. Inspired by the videos on YouTube so here is my first go. 

Car

Tamiya TL01 (XB series)

running a Sky Rc Leapard 4370/9T motor

standard 7.2 Nihm battery

, high speed gear set and 23T pinion

standard suspension

contact foam tyres

TA03 ball diff in the rear

Full set of bearings

Audi A4 STW/BTCC shell from TA03F

Speed achieved was 41MPH recorded with an app on a old Nokia1020