Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

Speed run entry

DF03 Dark Impact 4WD

7700kv 4 pole 

Df03ra gear set 75t/32t 

Schumacher big bore shocks

Yeah racing aluminium shock towers and wishbones front and rear.

Rear - 3racing hardened drive shafts, yeah racing steel outdrives/diff joint etc and tungsten carbide diff balls.

Front - yeah racing hardened drive shafts, yeah racing steel outdrives/ diff joint etc , ceramic diff balls.

DF03 slipper with hardened drive gear.

Adjustable turnbuckles all round.

Maverick wheels/tyres pre-glued all round.

Fully ballraced

Solid aluminium servo horn

Aluminium 12mm Hex's

Heat sink bars

Functional body scoops

3s lipo

101kph - 62.75 mph 😁

• Like 5

Speed run entry

Optima mid custom 4WD

K2 slipper mod - 80t spur/ 29t pinion

3800kv 4 pole

3s lipo 

Option house Gold shocks,

Original Optima mid custom 2" wheels / Schumacher block tyres (blue)

Fully ballraced

86kph - 53.43mph 😁

• Like 6

Lists updated!

Well done Wooders, you just bumped me down in the 4wd and non Tamiya sections, cheers ;)

The Kyosho looked much more stable than the DF03, great run spot too with 3 lanes for width!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated!

Well done Wooders, you just bumped me down in the 4wd and non Tamiya sections, cheers ;)

Cheers @Jason1145 , only 2mph in the 4wd, I'm sure you can squeeze a bit more 😏 

The Kyosho looked much more stable than the DF03, great run spot too with 3 lanes for width!

It was! I'm not sure if those tyres on the Dark Impact are ballooning too much, or the fact the front wheels weren't actually on the ground!?! 

I'm going to maybe back off the slipper and try again, also double fan the esc as it cut out after one run! 

The road is ace early on a dry Sunday morning, downhill too!! 😁👍

(Ps,Just noticed the Novafox is in the 4wd section, that gets to equal you in the 2wd 😎🙄😂)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Cheers @Jason1145 , only 2mph in the 4wd, I'm sure you can squeeze a bit more 😏 

It was! I'm not sure if those tyres on the Dark Impact are ballooning too much, or the fact the front wheels weren't actually on the ground!?! 

I'm going to maybe back off the slipper and try again, also double fan the esc as it cut out after one run! 

The road is ace early on a dry Sunday morning, downhill too!! 😁👍

(Ps,Just noticed the Novafox is in the 4wd section, that gets to equal you in the 2wd 😎🙄😂)

Is the Novafox in the wrong category then?

And you’ve got room to go bigger kv in the Optima too ;)

I should have said in the blurb, yeah, it's RWD.

And you’ve got room to go bigger kv in the Optima too ;)

I dont really feel much point in going quicker, unless @Hyperlite steps it up.......

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I should have said in the blurb, yeah, it's RWD.

You’re now joint 14th in RWD with my FAV

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Thinking on, I'll edit some of the posts and provide more info, tyres, gear ratio and in the DF03 - ball diff parts, drive shafts, shocks etc too.

Updated the parts list on the 2 cars above @Jason1145 , it's only when you write it down do you wonder how many pennies are in that car!?! 🤔😳

• Sad 1

Yep we all tend to forget this especially if we built them over a period of time, I’ve just ploughed enough money in to restoring a Striker that could’ve bought a new basic kit from Tamiya... good fun though.

• Haha 1

@Wooders28  You were asking how I might go about making the Schloerwagen on the previous page for a speed run body; it's a pretty complex design with all those curved surfaces.  There are a few blueprint drawings online showing the design of the car; it used a Mercedes 170H chassis, much like a VW Beetle pan chassis.  One drawing in particular effectively shows a topographical map of the body.  Last night I put in a few hours to see if I could come close to the original body using this line drawing.  It still needs some adjustments, but overall I'm pretty happy with the first result given the low investment.

First I imported the line drawing into FreeCad and bumped it a millimeter backwards from the XY plane so I could trace it.

1-Image%20in%20Plane.jpg

Then I traced each line using splines, snapping the end points to exact coordinates, mirroring, and joining together to make one complete path for each elevation.

2-Tracing%20Mirroring%20Joining%20Topo%2

Next I projected lines up from the frontmost point on each curve to the side view of the car, and measured elevation relative to the ground.

3-Setting%20Elevation.jpg

Once I set the Z-location / elevation for each curve, I checked the wireframe to see if it even remotely looked like the car, and it does!

4-Checking%20Wireframe%20Shape.jpg

Then it was a matter of selecting all the lines and telling the program to generate a solid surface.

5-Creating%20a%20Solid%20Surface.jpg

The real car for comparison...

6-Schloerwagen%20Perspective%20Picture.j

When viewing the model from the front and comparing it to the car, it seems like the sides are a little too vertical.  That can be adjusted by editing some of the points on each spline.

What I was most happy about was how the topographical map did create the front corner bulges for the headlights; that's a really tough feature to estimate with basic primitives.

The big challenge now is finding a chassis to go under the body.  The wheelbase of the real car is 2600 mm, and the track width is about 1300 mm (2:1).  In 1/10 scale, that suggests a wheelbase like a touring chassis, but a track width narrower than a M-chassis.  Maybe a TL01 with M-chassis arms?  Or an extra-extended M-chassis like others have done before?  Or a custom pan car chassis?  One historical note is the real car was susceptible to cross winds; maybe a wider track width would help out in this case.

Anyhow, it was easier than I expected and after some refinements, cutting out windows/headlights/tail lights, and adding thickness to the surface, it could be sectioned and printed for testing.  Putty and sanding would take some of the digital out of the result.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Anyhow, it was easier than I expected

Easier!?! 

Looking like you've put more effort into the body design than the whole of my speed runs efforts combined! 😂

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, stew_mac said:

Little update on my TT02. 

Looks like it decided to go take a hike and said See Ya! It really veered off into the woods. Any idea why that happened? Any other damage besides that rear corner?

31 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Looks like it decided to go take a hike and said See Ya! It really veered off into the woods. Any idea why that happened? Any other damage besides that rear corner?

I have been suffering from bump steer. The hubs are from a DF03 so the steering geomety has been wrong for a while now. 

Going to rebuild it with the TB04 hubs and make a few changes up front for better steering. 

Heaps of little things broke like shock towers, Diff covers, the rear wing, and a shock cap. Easy enough to repair but I’m going to upgrade quite a few things, like TRF shocks and as mentioned the TB04 front with carbon reinforced parts.

I also have a Futaba 4pv with FASST so I will get more range than the spektrum.

200 is the goal by the end of the year if I can get it straight and to stop. 

• Like 4

I’ve had another go and now upped my speed to 46MPH with my TL01. Video below

Quick spec, 9T motor 2S LiPo 23t pinion and speed tuned gears 

https://youtu.be/J9aXjyX92Uo

and also ran my lads TT02 and got 19MPH with a standard out of the box Tamiya motor and esc but with bearings, 25T pinion and 64T spur 

https://youtu.be/SycsQ_Z8Qqc

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, Jason1145 said:

Lists updated (well done Mitchellzz - and your boy too!)

Cheers. The TL chassis was not the car I was planning to use for speed runs but as the other chassis I was planning on using is waiting for parts I slapped all the stuff into the TL. 

• Haha 1

Ah the TL is going great guns... I have a TL01 and TL01B I need to get on the board too!

I can’t complain. It was a Facebook market place bargain that had hardly been used and I don’t think the women who was selling it knew what it was   

• Like 1

Speed Run Entry

4WD Category

Tamiya Baka King TL01-B ( b for balls)

3900kv motor

2s Lipo

19t Pinion with stock spur

DF03 wheels and tyres I think!

Top speed 37.7 MPH / 60.7 KPH

This thing hauls heads shoulders knees and toes.... big big thanks again to @TurnipJF for rebuilding this Baka King for me, it’s doing us both proud.. it’s actually too fast for daily driving on this 3900kv motor with 2s lipo despite being on the lowest pinion of 19t, I daren't try 21t or 23t Pinions!

Next is 3s lipo..... just editing the video of that run now so stay tuned for an 80kph plus run!

• Like 2

Speed Run Entry 

4WD Category

Tamiya Baka King TL01-B ( b for balls)

3900kv motor

3s Lipo

19t Pinion with stock spur

DF03 wheels and tyres I think!

Top speed 50.5 MPH / 81.2 KPH

• Like 5

I wont add this a speed entry,  since this was more of a test then actual try.

First time a speed of 87kmh was achived in blinky mod, second time maxed timing on esc, at time of crash 89kmh was recorded, but no picture or proof... since the crash did damage good. Reason for the crash, was strange behavior of car, did not get a good feel from start, after pushing the throttle to the end, I just lost control and went off road. Snapped the rear carbon shaft, and lost both rear tires and diff and basically the whole rear axle with diff and tires. :huh: 55$ damage cost.

some might find this interesting since it is not a usual way of filming. :lol:

new parts are already on their way. Wont stop until 100kmh (60mph). My buddy has also preperad a F104 v2 with 13,5T on 3s. he wants to fly at least 130kmh. haha

• Like 2