Sign in to follow this  
InsaneJim69

Monster Beetle/Blackfoot questions.

I am looking into buying a Monster Beetle 2015 or a Blackfoot 2016. But I have a few questions.

Do they only accept rounded battery packs, or do they accept square lipo's?

Also what is a decent brushless motor to pop into them, 17.5T, 13.5T? Not looking for max speed, just some decent fun.

Many thanks

James

:)

The orv chassis will happily take oval packs, I'd imagine you might have to perform some surgery to get a square pack to fit.

Personally I wouldn't bother putting a brushless into it the gearbox and differential is a real weak point of these cars. Stick a torque tuned brushed and a suitable esc in and you'll have just as much fun without the risk of the gearbox/diff getting knackered. 

• Like 1

I fitted some spacers to mine around the battery area and I can fit my square turnigy packs in with ease.

No idea on brushless power in them, as a standard build they won't last long with anything other than a Sport Tuned really...

• Like 1

12T/17T/Superstock BZ brushed motors in mine all caused issues with gear box clicking etc. Until I made the gearbox plates I couldn't even run a silvercan after problems started. 

You may need to brace the gearbox if you want performance, example on last page here:

My mate runs a Superstock in his with no issues however so I suspect I started at the wrong end of the spectrum using a 12t mod brushed motor. 

You can fit 3s lipo soft packs in but check the dimensions. Some 2s hard and soft packs fit but again depends on dimensions as they all vary. 

Thanks guys, :) I have a fair few Brushed Stock Racing 27T motors.

I assume these don't come with bearings at all :( ?

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_GT-R said:

James

That is correct.  Like most Tamiya kits, bearings are not included.  So which of them do you think you are going to order?  

3 hours ago, Jim_GT-R said:

James

The kits come with either 4 or 6 bearings, but not a complete set. You'll need 2 850 and a bunch of the standard size ones.

15 minutes ago, Theibault said:

The kits come with either 4 or 6 bearings, but not a complete set. You'll need 2 850 and a bunch of the standard size ones.

That's good to know.  I cracked my MB open recently as I am looking at building it next and I noticed a lot of the white bushings but didn't see any bearings.  I wasn't looking at it all that closely though to be honest.

Ah ok, so 1150's? I have a load of spares of those.

Looking to get the MB only because its £20 cheaper for basically the same thing, which is crazy IMO. Plus never been a BF fan, the MB always stood out as the better looking imo.

James

Pin pulled, Monster Beetle 2015 bought :)  Cannot wait, £95 posted for a MB is pretty good (£20 was a voucher) ;)

James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Pin pulled, Monster Beetle 2015 bought :)  Cannot wait, £95 posted for a MB is pretty good (£20 was a voucher) ;)

James

Couldn't beat that deal with a stick!  Nice job.

3 hours ago, Jim_GT-R said:

James

That's a fantastic price. Did you get it with or without an esc? 

Well tomorrow is the day my MB is due for delivery and I shall be making a wee visit to halfrauds for a tin of pearl/metallic red paint and a tin of clear. Its gonna be a shiny sparkly MB :)

James

• Like 1

Modelsport, I had a voucher to use :)

Well after 2.5 hours yesterday and an hour today its all built (minus the body of course), I have popped a brand new Reedy MVP 27 Turn Rebuildable motor in it for now and just gave it a wee blast with a turnigy lipo and its crazy fast, lol. Love the fact is wheelies for fun too.

Had loads of issues during the build though, but funnily enough none of them were with the transmission!!

James