Ruth Baxter

Sand scorched rebuild

Hi, I am just starting to rebuild a early sand scorcher and have a couple of questions. The aluminium suspension parts will need cleaning, what is the best method you use? also the body is cracked and damaged, is the new version a direct copy? Some parts are missing e.g. shocks, are the new type also direct replacements?

Thanks in advance, Ian

Hi there Ian.

The metal parts can be cleaned with some old toothbrush and detergent, and of course a little elbow grease ;) Or if you have access to some ultrasonic cleaner, or those new jewel washers you might end up having it looking just like it was good old 1979-if not better!

The new version of the VW body is NOT a direct copy, but you can still use it on your vintage chassis, no problem. With the shocks happens just like with the body, they look similar, and you can use them no problem, but they are not exactly the same.

Good luck with the restoration and don't forget to share with us some pictures of your VW! :)

Hey mongoose, I am working on my super champ and need to do the same as far as cleaning. That being said can you be a little more specific with the term "detergent"?? When I hear that I think of laundry detergent...

Thanks,

MUD

The green type you do the dishes with.

And I have used laundry detergent for SRB metal parts, too. Not sure the brand in the States. That will clean them nicely, taking the grease completely off if you use warm water. And I also have seen the effects of toothpaste can be better but that's definitely more expensive ;)

Unfortunately I don't have before & after pictures of an SRB, all I have is doing this with a 1984 Frog. That's warm water and detergent: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=118993&sid=23692

I'm sure other TCers might have other ways to clean their vintage buggies :)

Hi Mongoose,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I will strip it down and get to work. When it's done I will post some pictures.

Ian.

• Like 1