Pablo68

What are these?

So I've had a bunch of bits from an old Tamiya SRB of some kind for.....crap over 20 years ( I was given them in 1989 I think).

These parts I think I know what they are, but I need confirmation. I think the SRB was a Buggy Champ. I had the large rear shock absorber but lost it ages ago.

My rough plan is to reconstruct some kind of SRB out of the bits I have. Now I know I might as well just buy a new SRB buggy, but I want to get what's left of this one running again.

So yeah, here's a pic of the parts in question, and a pic of all my SRB bits together.

I'll probably make a *******ised Sand Scorcher out of it, with modern shocks.

Tell me what you think.

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

Looks like it was a Super Champ.

The servo saver, front body post. steel u/j's are definitely super champ.

The gearbox looks like it has the extra holes for the upper chassis plates posts.

The items in the first photo are the rear bumper stay and a cut down rear bumper for the Super Champ.

Should be a good start for the customised(:D!) Sand Scorcher project.

Rich

Thanks a heap for that.
Yeah I pretty much thought that was the case.
Probably won't go with the original susp set up though.

And since when was c u s t o m ised a bad word?

Our good friend Finman is correct, that's a 1982 Super Champ.

And this is how the chassis looks when complete:

Resultado de imagen

Now about using the VW Beetle Sand Scorcher body with it, it's going to be difficult to find a way to find a front bodypost that you can use with the original servo saver. One way it would be to do a custom bodypost or find somebody selling such thing. I remember TCer @karooha MB made them years ago. The easiest way would be to find the SS re-re bodypost and get the uprights set directly with the servosaver, although that would require you to mount the steering servo in a different way. As I say, that way would not be complicated to do.

The next problem you're going to find is the VW body won't sit correctly right away on the stock Super Champ chassis because of the rear cage. If you're going to do it any way you might have to cut down a bit the body or remove the rear section. That is not going to affect much the looks of the VW body, though. Here's what I am talking about (although that is not a stock rear cage!):

Resultado de imagen

Whatever you decide, I hope you will share with us some pictures of the project. The Super Champ, although recently relaunched, is still a classic buggy.

Have a good one! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for those pics, most helpful.

Yeah I'm still a bit undecided as to how I will complete it. I guess it depends of the price/availability of parts.

Hmm, for some reason I have a set of those aluminium servo mounts in my Hornet. I'll have to correct that.

Oh and I hope no one gets offended with the way this thing turns out. Whatever that may be.

No, customised is not a bad word I was just replacing your starred out word with something polite :).

If it was a bad word I'd be in trouble with all my builds. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Our good friend Finman is correct, that's a 1982 Super Champ.

And this is how the chassis looks when complete:

Resultado de imagen

Now about using the VW Beetle Sand Scorcher body with it, it's going to be difficult to find a way to find a front bodypost that you can use with the original servo saver. One way it would be to do a custom bodypost or find somebody selling such thing. I remember TCer @karooha MB made them years ago. The easiest way would be to find the SS re-re bodypost and get the uprights set directly with the servosaver, although that would require you to mount the steering servo in a different way. As I say, that way would not be complicated to do.

The next problem you're going to find is the VW body won't sit correctly right away on the stock Super Champ chassis because of the rear cage. If you're going to do it any way you might have to cut down a bit the body or remove the rear section. That is not going to affect much the looks of the VW body, though. Here's what I am talking about (although that is not a stock rear cage!):

Resultado de imagen

Whatever you decide, I hope you will share with us some pictures of the project. The Super Champ, although recently relaunched, is still a classic buggy.

Have a good one! :)

That beetle looks fantastic. Is it a members car? That one of the best builds I've seen. I'd never use that. just admire it. 

• Like 1

So, my progress so far, no pics sorry, though I will take some before I start....when all the parts I need are here.

I've bought/ordered,

Scorcher front body mount

Scorcher body kit

Chassis and top plates

Rear bumper and shock fork assembly

Rear shock kit

Front shocks

New wheels/tyres

Roll bar and rear bar

Top plate shaft things front and rear.

Motor and gear cover.

I'll try the original susp set up once I have this running, then try a better set all round. Still not sure what I'll do for steering rods and a rod from the servo to the servosaver.

Now, this is quite foolish on my part, probably way easier and cheaper to just buy a whole kit........but I want THIS ONE to run ok!?

Hmmm, also mods may want to move this thread to the builds section.

I have also acquired a slightly more complete but equally beat up Super Champ. 

I'll be carrying out a similar custom resto but with a rere super champ body. I look froward to your progress pics.  

• Like 1