Ok I have a Celica GrB which has been stored for a long time. Its always been in my possession but some one spray painted the out sid of the original lexan body with commercial car spray paint. Believe it or not that paint has remained on the car all that time and not chipped at all. The question I have is can i rub it down and repaint it white on the outside? Or should I just buy repro? The body is in good nick with only one small crack near the headlight. What do you think guys?

The Celica (and the 959) shell is very fragile because it's so thin. If it's not a terrible paint job, I'd just leave it. Got any pics?

Well Gruntfuggly It has been done in the "Starskey and Hutch" style by a former "Friend" who thought it would be a nice surprise for me. Needless to say I wasn't too happy but I made the mistake of leaving it that way at the time. Here's a couple of pics.

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Red will be hard to cover with white without lots of coats.

I would go with the replica shell rather than risk cracking a old one

The rest of the car is in great shape, nothing broken, cracked or missing and all working as it should. Surprised how fast it is, the technigold motor has plenty of go. I think I will go down the repro route and keep the original shell as you suggest Nobbi. My plan is to strip it down, clean and lube up. The original manual is here so it should be easy enough as long as I'm patient.

10 minutes ago, Gruntfuggly said:

How about going over the white with some more red? 

The Starskey & Hutch paint job looks pretty cool to me - quite a few people did this to their 1:1 cars back in the 70's !