Pablo68

Original Ultima RB5 project

Yes I know, this isn't a Tamiya, Yes I know we can't all be as good as Pintopower at these things....

Now that I've got this out of the way, here are some pics of a project I'm currently beavering away with.
I'm combining Ultima RB5 suspension arms and gear, Gearbox and a few other bits and bobs with an Original Ultima chassis, Shocktowers, body and other bits.

In a sense it's kind of a simpler project than many that gets tried on here. It so far basically adapter plates for mounting, modified bulkheads etc.

It is.....or has become complicated though, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to mount the shocks from the old tower positions to the newer arms.

I've been cadding and 3D printing stuff out, trying to fit them, going back to square one and modifying then reprinting. I've been wanting to have a go at this kind of thing for a while now. Good to finally do it.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

• Like 3

So where are the prints ? , Even if it didn't come out , as that's the learning curve we are all in :D . 

Looks like a great project . 

Some more pics.

One of these was me using AutoCAD when that was all I had to use. Sort of trying to prove the concept.

Capture5.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

12 minutes ago, matman said:

So where are the prints ? , Even if it didn't come out , as that's the learning curve we are all in :D . 

Looks like a great project . 

Ha thanks!
I'll put those up in a bit.
You should see my desk!

All bolted in. It fits.....after a fashion. Oop, I have to do something about the bolts poking thru at the back. That fouls the rear swing shaft holdery thing.

IMG_2046.JPG

• Like 1

Front end on, but it's not good.
I'd have to put huge spacers on the back and rather long bolts to make the Shocks work/mount up, and it'd still be really dicey.

Going to have to think on this for a while.

IMG_2047.JPG

Nice , so that's with makerbot ? , what model is that .  What are you using , ABS , PLA & how is it going 

with printing it . If your using ABS , is it curling ? .  What are you printing it at ?. 0.10 or lower , print speed .

Temps of extruder & bed temp . Just would like to compair to the ctc :D . 

I'm printing ABS , with glass bed , with Kapton tape & UHU Blue glue << Heps keep the ABS to stick & stops curling / warping .

Extruder temp of 240 & Bed temp of 110 , filiament 1.75 << BUT set it in the Makerbot softwear as 1.78 or 1.79 or was it 1.80 .

HAHA , i did different setting & can't remember what it is at the moment . 

I have been looking at the Makerbot Replicator +6th Gen , Mind you dreaming of it :lol: . 

Looks like you are not doing 100% fill in ? on the front arms . Lookin great . Alot to learn ! this is why i'm asking questions :D . 

Sorry !! :P Or am I :lol: . 

So what ya think about this 3D printing ! . 

Heya Mat,

All good mate ask away. Ok I think I'm printing at .2? 215degC and I'm printing PLA.
I haven't tried ABS yet. Yeah these parts are mock ups mostly, I'll test with real arms and any other parts that don't absolutely need to be printed.

I'm using a Makerbot Replicator 5th gen. They have their problems and are vastly overpriced imo. I am managing to use mine pretty solidly but sometimes it takes a lot of work to keep it going. For me that's not so bad, it doesn't bother me and I'm kind of good at that kind of tinkering.
If someone were to buy one new, they'd be well disappointed as at the price they sell for new, you'd expect no problems at all.

I'm using the standard bed, no heating or glass, with that makerbot sticky paper on it.

I'm enjoying 3D printing immensely!

• Like 1

Nice & Yet i can't print at 0.2 . PLA i was printing it at 200 deg C , Bed temp is at 40 - 60 deg C . 

Had a great run with those temps .  Yer i know that cost with the makerbot is pricey & you would think it

would be great . BUT i think it was way better than my CTC , I have had to rebuild it lots of time .

I have printed upgrade parts :lol: , to make it user friendly . 

From what i can see , You have to use Makerbot ABS / PLA ? . As the after market don't fit ? .

But you do need good quality ABSto get it to work . There is lots to learn .

You don't know where a 2nd hand Makerbot is for sale ?. 

Not that i need one at the end of the day . My CTC is working . 

Looking like a great project .  

Now that will be interesting to see if that Mbot sticky paper works on ABS , I have to use glass to to get bed

straight & help it level .  If ya get stuck on some thing , i may be able to help ?.  Or if you want me to 

try & print some thing for you to nut out things , let me know . 

• Like 1

I found my Makerbot on Evilbay. Lucky I guess.

I have a stack of aftermarket PLA reels. It seems to work ok.

Haven't tried ABS yet. Not sure when I will.

Thanks for the offer, will do :)

• Like 1

I think I will call this thing 'Unintended Consequences'.
Every time I work my way around a problem I run into another

I had to redesign the front shock tower to fit the modern shocks, I am going to redesign the rear shocktower too. Should be as easy as drawing up the tower from my Ultima Turbo.
Then I have to think what I'm going to do about steering, which looks like it's going to be an issue.

• Like 1

It's the old saying , LIVE & LEARN ! :lol: ..  You will get there in the end , I'm sure of it . We all do at some

point , where it's finished or we give up & call it finished :D . 

Just think , when you have finished & driving the RC you have designed / Made .

Then it will be worth it , I recon . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matman said:

It's the old saying , LIVE & LEARN ! :lol: ..  You will get there in the end , I'm sure of it . We all do at some

point , where it's finished or we give up & call it finished :D . 

Just think , when you have finished & driving the RC you have designed / Made .

Then it will be worth it , I recon . 

Thanks Matt,

Yeah, methinks there'll be some swearing on the way though.

• Like 1

So I made a slightly modified Turbo Ultima rear shock tower to fit this project, so the rear is kinda sorted.

The front end, I need to source really short 4mm bolts from somewhere so they don't foul the front swing arms.

I have started on installing twin bellcrank steering from the RB5 but there are problems, namely clearing the radio/top plate.

It's a real two steps forward one step back thing.

I don't want to change the top plate, as it is very little of this car will be original Ultima, which defeats the purpose of the project somewhat.

I'll get some pics up later.

• Like 1