casethejoint

Blazing Blazer Resto Build

Image result for hat's off

Simply beautiful. Oh, and I love the chrome gauges you have there. That's neat, and wold also work wonders on a Sand Rover buggy.

• Like 1

They probably would too Erich, which reminds me - did you manage to get that front light for the Sand Rover?

I managed to spend a little time today finishing up the gearshift (which is from a Sand Rover tree), the steering wheel and tidying up some of the interior lines.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_210d.jpg

... so I started on the decals.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_210f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2135.jpg

I stopped here because (a) I'm a fan of "less is more" and (b) I did actually put the silver/orange side stripes on one side, didn't like the look and removed them again. I will probably come back and add something more (I think a drivers name on the side would look cool, but I think I'll leave it here for now. Minimal :)

I've test fitted the J-Man roof which is just awesome. Here's a few pics to show that off:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_215c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2167.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2168.jpg

Pretty nearly there - last few little jobs to do:-

1. Mount the front grille properly (I'm missing a little plastic spacer, so need to make one)

2. Mount the roof properly which I'll do after the grille.

3. Fix up the battery pack (will start on that tonight)

4. Fit the last servo and take it for a spin on the lawn :)

Hopefully will get all four of those done by next weekend and if the weather is up for it I'll take a video...

• Like 3

Hi guys,

So, battery pack....

I bought some 5000mAh sub-c cells on eBay for not a great deal of money. No idea what quality is like but I won't be running this much so I'm not too worried.

The 6v original pack had already been opened by a previous owner - a bit rough around the edges but not too bad. So all I had to do was build the new pack and get it glued into place.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21b5.jpg

5 of these turned out to be a really good fit - nice and easy and plenty of room.

I then soldered these and glued into place.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21b6.jpg

Then put the pack pack together using some "go faster" striped from Halfords around the edge. That'll make it really easy to open again if I ever have to.

I then switched 2 of the AS-3 servos out for the correct AS-2 (thanks to a swap with @wildwillydriver ). I noticed I was missing the gearbox tierod because the previous owner had all the servos oriented in one direction rather than the middle one swapped (so had 2 long tierods rather than one long one short). So I made a short one using an old SRB steering rod cut to size and bent into shape.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21c0.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

Looking nice :). Boy I forgot how heavy these things are...

Tomorrow I'll mount the antenna, fix the roof mountings and take it for a spin :)

• Like 3

Oh, I forgot - I did get the front grille mounted properly:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21ab.jpg

A bit of approx right size plastruct rod with a hole drilled in the middle did the trick....

I used the original screws to mount this, as the button heads on the stainless set I have are a little bigger and I don't like as much. I gave these a quick coat of gloss black with a brush and they look great (eg nearly invisible).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thommo said:

The pleasure is all ours !

:)

DEFINITELY!

What a stunning Blazing Blazer. THANK you for sharing these pictures. :)