kontemax

2WD buggy custom project

Hi people!

This is a new project.

This is a long term project.

I will need many time to complete it because it will have custom parts.

I'm sure you will like it so follow this thread and stay tuned.

Max

SA_Custom_001.jpg

SA_Custom_002.jpg

SA_Custom_003.jpg

• Like 7

I like custom stuff, and with your knowledge, racing experience and attention to detail, I'm excited to see what you're coming up with. Cheers, GregM

• Like 1

Nice starting point. Looks like a Dyna Storm transmission housing.

• Like 1

Yes, is a Dyna Storm transmission, the best vintage Tamiya transmission ever made but the model will be not a Dyna Storm or a Dyna Blaster.

It will have a custom chassis and this will mean time and money.

Max

The next step will be to complete the transmission case.

I miss some little bits:

- All ball bearings FOUND THEM

- The two thrust washers FOUND IT

- The balls of the differential. FOUND IT

- The long screw of the differential. FOUND IT

- The pinion gear.

- The clutch cap. FOUND IT 3D PRINTED

The priority now is to complete this part, the following step will be the chassis.

Without the chassis it's impossible to continue the model.

Max

Some little updates.

Today I received a package from Fibre-Lyte.

I custom drew some parts and I bought other standard parts for some of my projects.

A couple of parts are for this projects so here we go:

SA_Custom_029.jpg

SA_Custom_004.jpg

The transmission subplate in place.

SA_Custom_005.jpg

Another quality in front of the Fiberglass.

SA_Custom_006.jpg

That's all for the moment.

This is a very slow project. Stay tuned.

Max

• Like 3

Just a little but important part is arrived today.

SA_Custom_007.jpg

It is a 3D printed part by ORB Racing, thanks Paul and Koen.

The research for the missing parts continues.

Max

Hi mates,

today finally a package is arrived at my home and I can continue this project.

In the package (thanks Mike) there are TR-15T parts and Dyna Storm parts. The parts not correlated with this project are been packed in the TR-15T box. Here the remaining parts arrived today.

SA_Custom_008.jpg

This is my Dyna Storm runner, now under restoring works. This model is not related with this project, but in the view to optimize parts and items, the Dyna Storm will be a donor model for this project.

SA_Custom_009.jpg

The situation is simple: The Dyna Storm will be restored to shelf queen conditions and any new part is useful to reach this objective. The parts received today are all new and they will not go on this custom 2wd buggy, that will be a runner. The exchange of the used parts of the Dyna Storm with the new parts received today becomes a natural and obvious consequence. The Dyna Storm must be disassembled and the corresponding parts replaced with the new ones. The used parts will be mounted on the new runner.

This operation is possible also because the Dyna Storm parts are not worn out but in excellent conditions so the runner will be anyway in perfect efficency.

At the era I worked on the Dyna Storm transmission. I made holes all around to reduce the rotating masses. You can see on the left the used and worked Dyna Storm parts and the totally new Multi Disc Clutch on the right.

SA_Custom_010.jpg

A detail of the clutch bell.

SA_Custom_011.jpg

Another comparison.

SA_Custom_012.jpg

Countersunk titanium screws and perforated spur gear and clutch bell.

SA_Custom_013.jpg

The ball differential received the same threatment.

SA_Custom_014.jpg

SA_Custom_015.jpg

The saved weight was 20 grams.

Here the new parts (sorry, blurry picture).

SA_Custom_016.jpg

Once assembled, you can see that the Dyna Storm gearcase is not the original black one. At the era I replaced all black parts with the reinforced gray TR-15T parts on my Dyna Storm runner and the Dyna Blaster runner so I forgot the continuous and frustrating breakages on the track.

SA_Custom_017.jpg

The differential outdrives are new, as you can see. This Dyna Storm was equipped with a very hot 12x2 turns brushed motor, at the era. A very hot motor needs some good heatsinks.

SA_Custom_018.jpg

I never found the TR-15T reinforced arm blocks, so I made them with solid aluminum alloy.

SA_Custom_019.jpg

That's all with the Dyna Storm now. Time to storage it again.
The used ball differential has been disassembled, cleaned and refurbished. The differential outdrives are a little bit worn out but not enough to be a problem. I already have some new spare of these parts but I decided to finish their life until the end. The Tamiya parts are like the pigs, no part deserves to be wasted.

SA_Custom_020.jpg

All assembled and properly greased.

SA_Custom_021.jpg

Closed. You can notice some wear on the main shaft but its a macro lens effect. In real life you almost don't see these lines.

SA_Custom_022.jpg

The motor plate is the new one. There weren't any significative difference between the two motor plates so I decided to keep the used one on the Dyna Storm due the heatsinks. It would be illogical make the holes on a new motor plate that I will not know if will mount heatsinks in the future.

SA_Custom_023.jpg

SA_Custom_024.jpg

SA_Custom_025.jpg

SA_Custom_026.jpg

Now the transmission of this custom buggy is finished and ready to roll.

SA_Custom_027.jpg

You can notice the 3D printed clutch cup.

At the moment I decided to mount the carbon subplate on the Dyna Storm and the original ugly FRP subplate here. I will have the time to order another carbon fiber subplate for this project.

SA_Custom_028.jpg

That's all for the moment.
The next step will be expensive and complicated. I will design the custom chassis for this buggy and will be a long work. The fund rising restarts to finance this carbon fiber chassis plate, that will be very expensive, I believe.

Stay tuned.

Max

• Like 5

Very intriguing... You have my attention! As others have said, your attention to detail will surely make this a fine project.

Thank you but this is a preliminar work.

The juicy part will arrive with the chassis I suppose.

Max

Hi mates, after long time I'm again on this thread.
Another thread ruined by photobucket, another thread restored with great loss of time and energy.
Anyway, this project, as many other projects, actually is in stand-by due the chronic lack of time and money. Currently there is another dramatic money drain in my life as you all can see in the pictures but with time and patience I will bringh ahead every one of these projects so please be patient and stay tuned.

20170407_211755.jpg

20170201_123605.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Is that a minarelli engine ??? 

Hope you can get back to the 2wd project soon.... can t wait to see what you are going to do !

No, it's not a Minarelli's, it is a Rotax 123 Mk2 for my Aprilia RX 125.
This is the alternative motor for my bike and will be a very modified motor with the barrel volume brought from 124 cc to 144 cc, cnc extruded and reinforced conrod, cnc head with high compression ratio and anti detonation bronze ring, stiffer clutch springs, handmade exhaust and silencer, bigger carburator, handmade built 6th gear. The expected power is 39,6 HP at the wheel, in front of 29/31 HP of the original bike.
My bike is the on on the right of these three.

Giro_14.jpg

Ok, END OFF TOPIC.
I hope to go back on all my projects very soon. It depends from many several circumstances, money is the first one.
Keep als in mind that I have tto much projects open at the moment, a couple of projects for the bikes (I own two RXs), 75 Tamiya models and the worst and more expensive of all projects... the dentist... O_o
This project will be, with the TR-15T, one of the first I will get on.

Max

• Like 2

20 grams off the tranny is completely bonkers!!! The acceleration will be scary...what motor are you going to pair with that killer transmission?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kontemax said:

I'm curious now.
What the question was?

Max

Sorry, I probably just should have left it. It was about Fibre-Lyte and how their service works. But I found their website and info. Great to know, certainly a bunch of stuff I now can get made :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, _oliK said:

20 grams off the tranny is completely bonkers!!! The acceleration will be scary...what motor are you going to pair with that killer transmission?

I used this tranny on my Dyna Storm, with a 14x3 brushed motors the model made wheelies.
Actually I don't know what motor I will use once I will finish this buggy. Probably a brushless for sure. Concerning to speed... depending the track.

Max

On 2/10/2017 at 11:15 PM, casethejoint said:

Sorry, I probably just should have left it. It was about Fibre-Lyte and how their service works. But I found their website and info. Great to know, certainly a bunch of stuff I now can get made :)

The best thing is that you can draw the parts by yourself and send the drawing to them, they will cut the carbon fiber for you.
And it's exactly what I will do.

Max

• Like 1

Dramatic moment concerning free time and money, more than usual.
Another project waiting to be finished.
Sorry mates, please be patient.

Max

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 12:44 AM, kontemax said:

No, it's not a Minarelli's, it is a Rotax 123 Mk2 for my Aprilia RX 125.
This is the alternative motor for my bike and will be a very modified motor with the barrel volume brought from 124 cc to 144 cc, cnc extruded and reinforced conrod, cnc head with high compression ratio and anti detonation bronze ring, stiffer clutch springs, handmade exhaust and silencer, bigger carburator, handmade built 6th gear. The expected power is 39,6 HP at the wheel, in front of 29/31 HP of the original bike.
My bike is the on on the right of these three.

Giro_14.jpg

Ok, END OFF TOPIC.
I hope to go back on all my projects very soon. It depends from many several circumstances, money is the first one.
Keep als in mind that I have tto much projects open at the moment, a couple of projects for the bikes (I own two RXs), 75 Tamiya models and the worst and more expensive of all projects... the dentist... O_o
This project will be, with the TR-15T, one of the first I will get on.

Max

What year is the Aprilia, I had a MX on road from 2006. Unfortunately sold it, have never regret it. Since I smashed my X8 scooter, now I am thinking of getting back to two stroke, And I would like to have the new RX rather then SX. Since we have a enduro track near. Nice bike 👍 

On the left RX125C (1993), in the middle Tuareg Rally 125 (1989), on the right RX125 Six Days (1991).

Max

• Like 1