Wandy

Bigwig re-release #47330

Less than 3 days to go the fair and not a peep from Tamiya about this release or anything else either. Is this a new policy from them? In years gone by they would leak information about releases roughly 3 weeks before the start of a show but this year has been different. Barely a word of info before a show starts. It goes without saying that I prefered the old way. <_<

21 hours ago, Prescient said:

Tried that on a kit recently and he wouldn't.  

I think it depends on the kit if he can sell them without electronics.

Else he would get stuck with Tamiya ESCs, not sure how much interest there actualy is for them.

22 hours ago, Prescient said:

Tried that on a kit recently and he wouldn't.  

Sorry i reread all my emails from the shop.... the chap is called Nico Seidel just ask him to take out the motor and he can send any kit ...the speed controller can be sent with the kit

54 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Less than 3 days to go the fair and not a peep from Tamiya about this release or anything else either. Is this a new policy from them? In years gone by they would leak information about releases roughly 3 weeks before the start of a show but this year has been different. Barely a word of info before a show starts. It goes without saying that I prefered the old way. <_<

This is in fact what is happening. Tamiya HQ is very annoyed about the situation that strictly confidential information and pictures are always leaking and show up on internet, weeks before they are officially confirmed. So it comes that T. helds back information on new items as long as possible. As a result, distributors are suffering because they cannot start planning on new item sales and ordering quantities.

14 minutes ago, anytimebaby said:

Sorry i reread all my emails from the shop.... the chap is called Nico Seidel just ask him to take out the motor and he can send any kit ...the speed controller can be sent with the kit

Can you pm his contact details

3 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

This is in fact what is happening. Tamiya HQ is very annoyed about the situation that strictly confidential information and pictures are always leaking and show up on internet, weeks before they are officially confirmed. So it comes that T. helds back information on new items as long as possible. As a result, distributors are suffering because they cannot start planning on new item sales and ordering quantities.

Do you know this for a fact? Or is it just your opinion?

Anyway, surely announcing stuff earlier, rather than later, would eliminate the leaks from shops etc?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Anyway, surely announcing stuff earlier, rather than later, would eliminate the leaks from shops etc?

I'm thinking that Mr T lets a shop leak out some info , to get the ball rolling . Get the hype up there ,

all free advertising per say !.  They use the internet for sales , fourms etc & the word spreads VERY 

quickly . Money saved on advertising etc :lol: .  You have to think , there is always ( in most cases ) 

been a leak of sort . Plus it gives people time to save of find money , by the time it comes out .

Mr T strategy I'm thinking . Only my opinion & thinking :D .. 

You save alot of money , by leaking out stuff , Less to advertise on a product & let the internet do the work :P .  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

I work for distributor in my country - we have been told and discussed this year by year at nuremberg fair when we meet T. face to face.

I''ve never met a bigwig in person, and from the artwork it looks kind of neither here nor there to me, so I'm not all that excited about the re release in itself. 
What I am very excited about though is the fact that they're back to re releasing buggys as on road cars and monster trucks do nothing for me. And I know that when the bigwig lands at the brick and mortar I'll probably get excited and buy two. Because that's the kind of person I've become, apparently. 

• Like 2

So what's happened here? No official statement from Tamiya on whether the "leak" rere bigwig was real or a VERY early April fools joke. The bigwig 2017 isn't listed for their RC kit at the show yet we where lead to believe "something special" was coming 🙁

1 hour ago, richb77 said:

So what's happened here? No official statement from Tamiya on whether the "leak" rere bigwig was real or a VERY early April fools joke. The bigwig 2017 isn't listed for their RC kit at the show yet we where lead to believe "something special" was coming 🙁

They don't list their surprise kits, as it would ruin the surprise (which has been ruined already lol). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Theibault said:

They don't list their surprise kits, as it would ruin the surprise (which has been ruined already lol). 

Looking at the photos I've seen so far no hint of any surprises just the 1/1 sand Scorcher sitting next to a moped (looks very cool though;)!) Maybe that's the surprise? An RC moped!:huh:

Where is the information about a "surprise" from? To my knowledge, Tamiya hasn't announced anything that would indicate any surprise on the Tamiya Fair (this year).

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Where is the information about a "surprise" from? To my knowledge, Tamiya hasn't announced anything that would indicate any surprise on the Tamiya Fair (this year).

Surprise! No re re for us this year! Lol, just kidding. My point was that they usually don't put press out on a new re re till they show it, that being the "surprise".

4 minutes ago, Theibault said:

Surprise! No re re for us this year! Lol, just kidding. My point was that they usually don't put press out on a new re re till they show it, that being the "surprise".

Yes, that's OK! :)   I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that my comment was related to Richb77's post: 

12 hours ago, richb77 said:

• Like 1

Oh how about an all new SRB or limited edition sand Scorcher:D! (Sorry just getting carried away:rolleyes:) because I'm touching up my one of my sand Scorcher bodies at the moment!

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

They did, however, promise a "spectacular lot". Well they must have been smoking something powerful at Shizuoka this year as it has been anything but spectacular.

As for the Bigwig, it looks like the Blackfoot re-re situation all over again, whereby a distributor/shop accidently leaks the information months before they should have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

They did, however, promise a "spectacular lot". Well they must have been smoking something powerful at Shizuoka this year as it has been anything but spectacular.

As for the Bigwig, it looks like the Blackfoot re-re situation all over again, whereby a distributor/shop accidently leaks the information months before they should have.

My bad for the "Surprise" line. It was 4am :) I was referring to the "Spectacular lot" statement from Tamiya and not a surprise. Consider my wrist slapped :D

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

Yeah all this hype and expectation and even Tamiya saying the "spectacular lot", and if we end up getting just the Bigwig re-release ( which was leaked what, a year ago now ;) ) then it will be a huge disappointment IMO. Especially for a company that we think of being very professional.

James

:)

I've seen an hour of Tamiya press conference in japanees from the Shizuoka Hobby Show and no mention of the Bigwig.

Max

So, still no Bigwig announcement, that I can see.  Have we been tricked by metro hobbies? When is next time an there is a fair? 

I can hear the sound of a big grinder being run at full speed, bigwig kits being fed in as fast as they can while executives deny they ever existed.

• Like 6

Lol, corporate ritual suicides...sorry folks, that's it for the Rere's now ;)

Jan is the next show in Nuremberg I believe. Maybe they didn't want the bw Announcement to over shadow their home show and championship finals, still a dissapointing turn out of RC's, I watched all the vid just to hear them banging on about a crappy nsx shell for about half an hour, whoo! Tis as though it was sponsored by dull bland Honda, not that they have a lot to shout about with their F1 prowess this year ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I can hear the sound of a big grinder being run at full speed, bigwig kits being fed in as fast as they can while executives deny they ever existed.

:lol:

All joking aside though, seriously....what is going on over there this year? Is the lack of new RCs this year a sign that the hobby is in decline in Japan? Or are they just having some time out whilst they build up for a big 2017?

In years gone by they have usually announced around 10 or more new models in November for the fair. This time we get...what, two?

I have no doubt that the Bigwig is coming but have to wonder if the leak has huffed them and they have thus delayed the announcement. Could a corporation really be that touchy?