Wandy

Bigwig re-release #47330

6 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

Honestly I'm not sure if I'll buy a kit, given the box layout standard of recent re-re's (just a bunch of parts in a box).  If they were to do a really nice job of presentation like we've seen in some other re-releases (ie Sand Scorcher, Buggy Champ, etc) I'd probably grab one.

The original Bigwig's presentation was not all that special either though. Like most of their other kits from roughly mid 1986 and onwards, it was a half hearted effort of a small, blister packed topped parts box with a bunch of other parts stashed to the side of it. 

Really it was only throughout the first 10 years of RC that they did consistently impressive blister pack layouts. From about 1986 onwards though it was similar to what we see with the re-releases...with stuff like the Avante & Egress being the odd exception whereby they went out of their way to present the kit beautifully. The presentation on original kits like the Boomerang and Hotshot 2 etc was nothing to get excited about.

5 hours ago, moffman said:

....what's going on with kyosho vintage range? Just browsing the internet looking at different shops on "coming soon" products and noticed that the turbo scorpion has went from a Dec/Jan release to a may 2017 date?? What's all that about:huh:!

RC Mart still has the ETA being late December. I'd be surprised if we had to wait until May for this to arrive....as the Javelin will be out by then. ;)

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

RC Mart still has the ETA being late December. I'd be surprised if we had to wait until May for this to arrive....as the Javelin will be out by then. ;)

I have been told by my lhs that the Turbo was delayed but he gave no idea why and I'm not sure if that was US only.

20 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

I have been told by my lhs that the Turbo was delayed but he gave no idea why and I'm not sure if that was US only.

Modelsport UK have put the release date back to May too. Only time will tell if the Aisan sellers still get their kits on time. Could be a Europe/USA issue.

I think the main draw of old tamiya stuff is:

1. many interesting and attractive bodyshell designs like the Bigwig with its air scoop, thunder shot, manta ray, top force, lunch box etc. 

2. captivating chassis variations like the hotshot rear monoshock and the almost flat avante front shocks with oversize metal ball ends

3. nostalgia, because most kids in the 80s started off with a tamiya like the hornet and frog

4. Mini 4wd. For almost every rc, there was a little jr version to collect as well.

These are the main reasons that set it apart from the rest, and very likely the reasons why people still go for Tamiya Vintage.

Kyosho, yokomo and Associated stuff perform better, but they don't have the "character" of a Tamiya of the 80s. The Tamiya marketing department did a fantastic job. And they had lovely artist depictions compared to the photographs that the others offered. 

Well, didn't I just get an interesting email...

I sent one to my favourite supplier of new kits asking to be put on the waiting list for a new Bigwig, although not officially announced, they replied OK, we have already pre ordered, one will be set aside for you, they finished with a cryptic, We hope you enjoy the future re release announcements coming shortly.....

I am now literally licking my lips,   PLEASE a 959 or Top Force Evo.......

• Like 4

Seeing as wez-li was spot on regarding the bigwig  I've been waiting for the top force evo re re announcement ever since. 

On 2.3.2016 at 0:05 AM, Wez-li said:

It will probably be a Top Force Evo seeing as I just bought one, or a Bigwig as I'm almost done restoring one of those :lol:

• Like 2

THEY HAVE ARRIVED IN CANADA!! at my LHS. 

... looks as this Dick Cepek has definitely been replaced with Moon Craft.

IMG_5441.JPG

• Like 15

On 22/12/2016 at 5:14 AM, marcod13 said:

Wow, Canada always seem to get them first

• Like 3

Nice to see a one in the flesh so to speak! Wonder why they pick Canada to receive the models first?^_^:)

What does everyone think of Towers price?

I have one on order with Stella, it will be interesting to see any differences in price,

GT tuned and full bearings, can anyone read the Japanese? I suppose no ESC?

11 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

What does everyone think of Towers price?

I have one on order with Stella, it will be interesting to see any differences in price,

GT tuned and full bearings, can anyone read the Japanese? I suppose no ESC?

Admin on the tamiya blog says about $200 - hopefully Towers price is on the high side.

Could you let us all know what the yen price on the box is if you can?

cool....I wonder why Canada first?

please can someone scan in or direct us to a pdf of the new manual? 😃

Nice, i like it alot.. so any from Canada who want to send me one? :P 

I still cannot get over the fact that a kit is on a store shelf and no official word from Tamiya.  Talk about shoddy marketing! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gt6++ said:

I still cannot get over the fact that a kit is on a store shelf and no official word from Tamiya.  Talk about shoddy marketing! 

It has indeed been a very peculiar release this one. But then they do like to keep their customer base guessing. Adds to the mystique around the company I suppose! :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, marcod13 said:

... looks as this Dick Cepek has definitely been replaced with Moon Craft.

IMG_5441.JPG

Is that a smaller box than that of the original? They did this with the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot so it wouldn't be a surprise. I prefer bigger boxes though as it adds to the occasion. 

The original box was a biggie, being Sand Scorcher/Avante sized.

Have to say, the chassis illustration in the top corner looks awfully bare without the Technigold and Gold Power 8.4v battery highlighted. Happily, the rest of the artwork looks fantastic though.