Wandy

Bigwig re-release #47330

1 hour ago, marcod13 said:

It's funny you mention this as I was just thinking that today while talking to my friend about it. Being a 47xxx series kit it is possible it could be a limited special release even though the limited edition items/kits usually carry a 84xxx part number ex/ 84399. It would make sense for Tamiya to keep this kit very limited due to the historical significance it carries for the brand. Either way this is all speculation and there could very well be another 500+  international kits on the way :) 

I don't recognize any significant differences between the 473xx- and 84xxx-series, except that the 473xx-series have a larger portion of re-re and re-re-re items. Both are used for limited edition items. It's a bit peculiar that very few 84xxx-items were released in 2016 (and so far in 2017) though, with more items released in the 473xx-series. After all, the numbers are free up to 84999 and it wouldn't seem logical to stop using this number range yet.

Talking about Tamiya number series, they are about to run out of numbers in their 5-digit range and will probably have to change to 6-digit or something else relatively soon. I guess within maximum 3-4 years.  

21 hours ago, matman said:

Well i was going to buy a bigwig or 2 or 3 . BUT with the price hike at Stella of about $75 US . I won't be :( .

Will save my money instead ..  Maybe get an Avante ! Or just stop RC all together .

The only thing I can think is happening there is that they have a pre-order list for the second batch too and have deliberately bumped up the price to discourage anyone from buying whilst they sort out the pre-orders. They have done that with other kits in the past.

On 31/12/2016 at 9:31 AM, Wandy said:

The box size definitely looks smaller than the original to me. 

Well I got this wrong. Mine turned up yesterday and I realised that the original kit did indeed have the same size box as the Hotshot. I could have sworn it was an Avante sized box but obviously my memory was playing tricks on me.

20170223_194905_zps5hmoinzb.jpg

And then scalamon posted a side by side comparison, fully confirming it. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130437&id=21779

bigwig_zpstipxbaxk.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Well I got this wrong. Mine turned up yesterday and I realised that it did indeed have the same size box as the Hotshot. I could have sworn it was an Avante sized box but obviously my memory was playing tricks on me.

And then scalamon posted a side by side comparison, fully confirming it. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130437&id=21779

bigwig_zpstipxbaxk.jpg

Absolutely love the side by side comparison. I think there should be a forum thread just for that- pairing old and new kits side by side lol.. the old box looks maybe a tad wider. Or maybe that's my eyes playing tricks on me, because you if you look at box art the, Bigwig appears bigger and wider. Great picture otherwise! 

Just now, marcod13 said:

..... the old box looks maybe a tad wider. Or maybe that's my eyes playing tricks on me, because you if you look at box art the, Bigwig appears bigger and wider.

Nah. Check out scalamon's other photos and you will see they are identical in terms of length and width. If anything the new box looks slightly taller.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

The only thing I can think is happening there is that they have a pre-order list for the second batch too and have deliberately bumped up the price to discourage anyone from buying whilst they sort out the pre-orders. They have done that with other kits in the past.

Well they missed out me buying 2 kits . I have two kits coming from RC Mart now  , Thanks to Baja500 . 

• Like 1

I'm a bit the same here, Stella emailed me and quoted 155ea as they were coming in later in the (this) week. I thought great jumped on the website to look for another kit to put in the box and saw them at 255. Not sure what was up there and have not followed up again. Stella seem to have a distinct lack of stock across the board for some reason, fancied an optima but no stock, no brushless combo's or servo's etc. Currently I'm sitting on a 1k basket with rcmart, bigwig, optima, HW 13.5 & 8.5 and some decent servo's. Surely they must know they're missing the boat a bit due to this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kymbo said:

I'm a bit the same here, Stella emailed me and quoted 155ea as they were coming in later in the (this) week. I thought great jumped on the website to look for another kit to put in the box and saw them at 255. Not sure what was up there and have not followed up again. Stella seem to have a distinct lack of stock across the board for some reason, fancied an optima but no stock, no brushless combo's or servo's etc. Currently I'm sitting on a 1k basket with rcmart, bigwig, optima, HW 13.5 & 8.5 and some decent servo's. Surely they must know they're missing the boat a bit due to this.

@kymbo   They will send you a discount code , so you would get it for $155. if you preordered ??  It seems .  

On 24/02/2017 at 10:54 PM, Wandy said:

Well I got this wrong. Mine turned up yesterday and I realised that the original kit did indeed have the same size box as the Hotshot. I could have sworn it was an Avante sized box but obviously my memory was playing tricks on me.

bigwig_zpstipxbaxk.jpg

Excellent comparisons! the original picture looks like its on more of an angle? I'm still humming and hawing weather to get one or not?:unsure: don't get me wrong it's a re-re that I always wished Tamiya had done but I'm getting to the point I need to be very careful what I buy because of space and the buggies I've got left after my cull I really don't want to have to give up and the 959 and ranger is the sell my kids and dog one's I'm waiting for! the space is already there for those beauties!:D

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 11:14 AM, swedishwiking said:

How does the motor in this kit compare to the technigold?

Not sure but I've just ordered an MFA RX-15 Plus motor which is apparently exactly same motor as the Technigold but with a different sticker on it which can easily be fixed by getting a repro sticker from somewhere. I'll be trying them back to back in my Bigwig once it arrives (and I finish building it) and I'll report back my findings

• Like 1

On 2017-03-03 at 11:02 AM, Supercoolnothing said:

Not sure but I've just ordered an MFA RX-15 Plus motor which is apparently exactly same motor as the Technigold but with a different sticker on it which can easily be fixed by getting a repro sticker from somewhere. I'll be trying them back to back in my Bigwig once it arrives (and I finish building it) and I'll report back my findings

Ok! I´ve tried to buy the MFA-motor on ebay, but the seller wont ship it to Sweden. Do You know if I can get it some where else?

On 2017-03-03 at 11:02 AM, Supercoolnothing said:

4 minutes ago, swedishwiking said:

Ok! I´ve tried to buy the MFA-motor on ebay, but the seller wont ship it to Sweden. Do You know if I can get it some where else?

Pm'd you dude 

On 7.12.2016 at 10:26 AM, Nitomor said:

I might hold out for the Jun Watanabe edition ;)

No,but seriously, I would love one :) 

Could this actually be happening 

or is the drawing of the Bigwig What Jun is wanting to show? 

• Like 1

Been trying to find these MFA RX15. or MFA RE 700 motor,  are they discontinued.? 

I am not sure if they are discontinued , it seemed that a single hobby shop in the UK had stock, and they wouldn't post to Australia.

I have a near new mint Technigold in my Hotshot II, I think it will end up in my Bigwig.

If you do manage to source some please post the info........

They were discontinued a long time ago, but a distributor in the UK had a considerable stock, they recently sold all their remaining stock to a model shop.

There are some on ebay also. I posted a link to the uk model shop that had these in stock in one of the Bigwig threads if you search for MFA.

Cheers

Nito

Edit...found it but they are all out of stock, ignore the temporarily unavailable, they are all gone! https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/MFA RX-15 Plus RE 700 (6-8.4v) Motor they had 44Nr in stock back in December! I spoke to the distributors a few months back, they said they were new old stock and they are no longer made.

All good, thanks for your replies. Guess they sold out even quicker with news of the bigwig re-re..

Yup, MFA no longer carries them according to a couple of shops I've talked to. Howe's Model Shop was the last to carry them and they are now out of stock. Bummer really :(

Here's my Bigwig running at the new 1/10 track at Swindon.  I was amazed with how well this ran.  Given that nowadays the weight isn't a penalty with regard to run time, but really helps stability, I think these could be quite competitive in their year class.  Probably the most fun 4WD buggy I have.

BigWig_Swindon_Apr17_2.jpg

• Like 10

No your talking.

Love it  wish we raced on a proper track. Boondal is like a speed bowl.

Built the front and rear gearboxes for mine last night. Both feel tight around the diff action (rear more so than front), was there something about the Shot based cars needing a few hours breaking in to loosen the trans a bit (my 80's Bigwig was purchased used)?

Carl.

My Big Wig is built for Boondal.

Fitted up a Alloy rear shock tower, Rear universal shafts, cvd's up the front, Hot Shot Re re centre drive shaft. 10T motor for now but a 12T will be fitted up once it arrives.

Such a awesome build & quality.

20170506_073644_zpse6fi7ime.jpg

20170430_154130_zpsmfees6hx.jpg

20170506_073126_zpsrqc0tqc7.jpg

20170506_073406_zpsr5wwdash.jpg