Wandy

Bigwig re-release #47330

3 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

My Big Wig is built for Boondal.

Fitted up a Alloy rear shock tower, Rear universal shafts, cvd's up the front, Hot Shot Re re centre drive shaft. 10T motor for now but a 12T will be fitted up once it arrives.

Such a awesome build & quality.

20170506_073644_zpse6fi7ime.jpg

20170430_154130_zpsmfees6hx.jpg

20170506_073126_zpsrqc0tqc7.jpg

20170506_073406_zpsr5wwdash.jpg

Nice , i put on the rear shock tower , But had to shim it , Put in 2 shims on the centre screw to the blue

part on the diff . Plus i had to dremal out a hole slighly  , not to bad . So how did you go ?.  I had the rear left arm

binding . 

Matt are you talking about the alloy rear shock tower?

Mine bolted straight up with no binding.

• Like 1

Yer the rear alloy shock tower . I did put it on my Boomerang & broke the diff tabs that the blue bit goes onto .

Not to sure why ? .  So i had to put shims in to stop it .  Just though about it for a sec , Ha maybe the tower

bottomed out on the blue peace ?. WIll have to looks at it . But when i had it bolted on it was leaning back ,

Like it was machined to much out  . Was going to give it a run tomorrow & will look at it then .

Ran my Bigwig today on the field, it's nicely fast without being ballistic. Running a Trackstar 13.5T, 15T kit pinion, TBLE-02S speedo and a Turnigy 4.6 Ultimate Shorty Lipo. I ran it for 10 mins, motor was totally cool, ESC just warm. It drives well apart from a bit of grip roll in corners if going too fast, but not too bad overall, should be fun on dirt. Lots of Torque with a little wheelie on take off. Nice and stable on the field, suspension worked well, overall quite pleased. Looking forward to getting the new motor for my Neo Scorcher (so I can be a bit rougher) and the Top Force now.

Carl.

Always wanted one...

Back in 1987 I modded my boomer with the Superhot front suspension upgrade kit (twin shocks with metal towers) and then a Bigwig body was strapped on top along with a Technigold. Best of all 3 worlds (supershot-handling, boomerang-light, bigwig looks).

This time I went for an original... Here is the final (shelfer). result. Color is PS-59 - Dark Metallic Blue.

DSC_6316.jpg

DSC_6317.jpg

DSC_6320.jpg

DSC_6322.jpg

• Like 7

Could not bring myself to run it on dirt, though... Those white Mooncrafts are collector's items.

Instead, fitted drive hexes over the pins and a set of street wheels/tyres (still looks like a mean machine!).

Handling on asphalt is weird in that it will go from under to oversteer without any input during the turn - you just need to catch it in 1980's style! With the stock motor and the small pinion, top speed was about the same with my kids' Neo Fighters with a stock silvercan. Go figure...

20170708_154008.jpg

20170708_154025.jpg

• Like 2

A lick of silver paint (basically just a Sharpie marker) helps bring the V8 to life..

(I am tempted to glue some red ignition wires there using a single strand heavy copper wire bent to shape...)

20170708_154042.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/07/2017 at 7:13 PM, hpergm said:

A lick of silver paint (basically just a Sharpie marker) helps bring the V8 to life..

(I am tempted to glue some red ignition wires there using a single strand heavy copper wire bent to shape...)

20170708_154042.jpg

Nice work! Really good colour choice aswell, I've seen a few of these 2017 one's that have had not so good body trimming but yours looks spot on! Are they tricky to cut out?

18 hours ago, moffman said:

Nice work! Really good colour choice aswell, I've seen a few of these 2017 one's that have had not so good body trimming but yours looks spot on! Are they tricky to cut out?

Thanks Moffman.

I took my time with the trimming indeed...

The trickiest part is the slot for the front shock towers. A mix of small bent scissors, XActo and Dremel does it.

• Like 1

What sort of ride height do you race the Boomerang at? Looks like mine is going to be my Revival runner now! Cheers :-)

On 11/11/2016 at 6:07 PM, Mirrorman said:

Yup .. I'll be getting one a well. :)

I just last week ordered a BigWig from rcMart, so that statement only took 4 years to come to fruition. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2017 at 8:01 PM, MAD RACER said:

My Big Wig is built for Boondal.

Fitted up a Alloy rear shock tower, Rear universal shafts, cvd's up the front, Hot Shot Re re centre drive shaft. 10T motor for now but a 12T will be fitted up once it arrives.

Such a awesome build & quality.

20170506_073644_zpse6fi7ime.jpg

20170430_154130_zpsmfees6hx.jpg

20170506_073126_zpsrqc0tqc7.jpg

20170506_073406_zpsr5wwdash.jpg

Awesome build.  Did the re re Supershot propshaft fit with no modifications?  Are you using the stock gearbox cups or is it necessary to change them to fit the new propshaft?

These are $150 at Tower Hobbies using the coupon EARLYBIRD plus free shipping.  Sale goes until 11/24 at 1am ET.  These are discontinued at Tamiya USA now.  I have two or would definately be buying one at that price.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

These are $150 at Tower Hobbies using the coupon EARLYBIRD plus free shipping.  Sale goes until 11/24 at 1am ET.  These are discontinued at Tamiya USA now.  I have two or would definately be buying one at that price.

Was about to impulse buy this, but Tower not shipping international at the moment 🤬🤬

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up guys, just bought a bigwig on tower. Used the 25% coupon and redeemed some points to get a total of $65 off. After tax, total price is $145 :D

• Like 1

Just ordered one from Tower. That price was too good to pass up! And we have no sales tax here.... :)

29 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Just ordered one from Tower. That price was too good to pass up! And we have no sales tax here.... :)

Nice, you going to run it ? 

42 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Nice, you going to run it ? 

Not sure yet. I might not even build it, at least for a while. I've been thinking of stashing away a couple of kits for the future, and this might be a good one to start with.

• Like 1

In August 1988 the BigWig was $219– $479.20 today(USD).

No way I could afford that as a teenager.

But I did just pick up another for $150 from Tower Hobbies.  Thanks for the heads up tamiya3speed!

On 11/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, rwordenjr said:

Lol, good deal for us in the USA ! 

might pull the trigger... 

i really want a clod but they are OOS...