Wandy

Bigwig re-release #47330

Recommended Posts

Where are those in OZ getting their kits from?

I emailed rc mart at the start of December to see if they would be getting these in and they said yes and keep an eye out on their site. I don't see the bigwig on rcmart or stella.

I called stanbridges in perth and they had never heard of a 'bigwig'. They're are going to call the OZ distributer and get back to me.

Just curious to know where people are getting their kits from atm.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kymbo, I pre ordered through Stella, getting posted to oz, just need to email stella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2016‎년 ‎12‎월 ‎31‎일 at 10:20 PM, beefmuffin said:

Awesome pics!  One question - does it have the little lexan side vent pieces for the body?

Thank you!
If you mean the two small lexan parts which will be attached each side of underneath of the body,
Yes, it have. these are bounded with the body by white color tape.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

kymbo, I pre ordered through Stella, getting posted to oz, just need to email stella

How much are they selling them for? I see Metro Hobbies are pre-ordering them for $299....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wondered if they improved the plastic material of the front bumper. As the original ones was too hard and broke off easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't got a price yet, might sound strange but Stella have always looked after me price wise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kymbo said:

Where are those in OZ getting their kits from?

I emailed rc mart at the start of December to see if they would be getting these in and they said yes and keep an eye out on their site. I don't see the bigwig on rcmart or stella.

I called stanbridges in perth and they had never heard of a 'bigwig'. They're are going to call the OZ distributer and get back to me.

Just curious to know where people are getting their kits from atm.

Cheers.

Stanbridges is all most dead , they don't have much in store , as the store is alot smaller .

Ace in midland would be the best bet , but not the cheapest in Perth . Would be Best to get it out of Stellamodels ,

WHEN the time comes as in released . there is another hobby shop , but can't remember what it's called .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told the week before Christmas that the Australian distributor has finally been given the boot.....

 

That came from a very long term shop owner on Sydney's northern beaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matman said:

Stanbridges is all most dead , they don't have much in store , as the store is alot smaller .

Ace in midland would be the best bet , but not the cheapest in Perth . Would be Best to get it out of Stellamodels ,

WHEN the time comes as in released . there is another hobby shop , but can't remember what it's called .

 

He only has 5 coming and 2 are mine and another is sold , id get in quick lol, march is when im being told and 300 is go apparently. 

You could try my hobby place, formerly joondalup hobbies as they have heaps of tamiya stuff , they still have an egress sitting there but at 500 aud it will be there for a bit imho.

Also should add that toy traders is no longer the agent for tamiya in oz , the new agent takes over this month and they should have a better idea soon , they also deal in traxxas so maybe the service will be better as trx bits are always easy to get.

Edited by chickenman242tk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a strange one this bigwig?,  in the UK no hobby shop (the ones that are left!) have it listed as coming soon so I have no idea how much it's going to be in £'s and I've never even seen it on Tamiya blog which has always been pretty good with OFFICIAL photo's etc but Canada has them all of a sudden and a few far eastern countries (one Taiwan hobby shop has them listed on eBay at stupid prices). The bigwig was one re-re that I was looking forward to seeing again but to be honest I'm a bit bored with all the available in certain countries and not in other Tamiya did it with the monster beetle, Blackfoot, avante and probably a few others and I got my Honda city turbo in the UK before it was available in the far east! Why can't Tamiya just release a model all at the same time ( then it just leaves traveling time few weeks tops and everybody that wants one has one) it just seems a bit stupid!:mellow:<_<

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it kinda looks like the whole rere of RC's is treated more or less like an afterthought by Tamiya. I've been in contact with some stores here in Norway since the Bigwig rere was or wasn't announced and today is the first day I haven't been met by blank stares. The norwegian distributor expects stock some time in february, so I've ordered two and hope it's early february rather than later. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

To me it kinda looks like the whole rere of RC's is treated more or less like an afterthought by Tamiya. I've been in contact with some stores here in Norway since the Bigwig rere was or wasn't announced and today is the first day I haven't been met by blank stares. The norwegian distributor expects stock some time in february, so I've ordered two and hope it's early february rather than later. 

im thinking it's probably going to be at the end of February for Europe it gives them something to show at Nuremberg for European's to get excited over! that could be why it goes to Canada first because they might not have a toy show like Nuremberg? Maybe wrong though because between USA and Canada they do have some fantastic conventions! My other little pastime collecting hotwheels (actually it's an obsession:unsure:!) The hotwheels conventions over the pond so to speak look absolutely amazing and it's my dream:wub: to one day go to one of those conventions/fairs and not have to pay through the nose for the more rare hotwheels I buy over here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, moffman said:

It's a strange one this bigwig?,  in the UK no hobby shop (the ones that are left!) have it listed as coming soon so I have no idea how much it's going to be in £'s and I've never even seen it on Tamiya blog which has always been pretty good with OFFICIAL photo's etc but Canada has them all of a sudden and a few far eastern countries (one Taiwan hobby shop has them listed on eBay at stupid prices). The bigwig was one re-re that I was looking forward to seeing again but to be honest I'm a bit bored with all the available in certain countries and not in other Tamiya did it with the monster beetle, Blackfoot, avante and probably a few others and I got my Honda city turbo in the UK before it was available in the far east! Why can't Tamiya just release a model all at the same time ( then it just leaves traveling time few weeks tops and everybody that wants one has one) it just seems a bit stupid!:mellow:<_<

I would just put it down to manufacture & distribution schedules and logistics.  I'm guessing of course but my assumption is they've commenced distribution during production which is normal. It would be unusual for a manufacturer to complete the first production run and stock pile the entire run while they wait for a world wide release date.  They have to get that stock out the door and so does the distributor in each country once they receive stock. Consider they are also manufacturing hundreds of other product lines and managing distribution of those at the same time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thommo said:

I would just put it down to manufacture & distribution schedules and logistics.  [snip]
They have to get that stock out the door and so does the distributor in each country once they receive stock.

Agreed, this is a likely explanation as to why there are different release dates around the world. 

What baffles me is that there's markets with stock without there being anything more than a semi-official announcement of the kit, and the product not even listed on the official website (as I could find at least.) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Agreed, this is a likely explanation as to why there are different release dates around the world. 

What baffles me is that there's markets with stock without there being anything more than a semi-official announcement of the kit, and the product not even listed on the official website (as I could find at least.) 

Your spot on! it baffles me aswell how it goes (at least in the uk) from a rumour nothing official then all of a sudden picture's from hobby shops in Canada with them in stock? Very odd:unsure:!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, yes -blame it on the colonies :)

As @Thommo pointed out, their marketing department operate within a slightly different realm than many other companies, and I'm just as dumbfounded as @moffman as to why they choose to do this. 

For those of you with more experience than me, was it the same with the Avante, Egress etc or is this a new business model from Tamiya? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Tamiya marketing dudes and dudettes,. What about a timer counting down the time until the next re-re announcement

Tamiya USA had a count down for a site facelift and it had folks here in a hissy spin :D. Until they found out it was just for a site facelift...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2017 at 10:22 AM, Robert5000 said:

For those of you with more experience than me, was it the same with the Avante, Egress etc or is this a new business model from Tamiya? 

Can't remember the Avante being released early anywhere, I am pretty sure it hit all of the various markets around the globe at the same time in February 2011.

The Egress however was seen in Malaysian stores roughly 6 weeks before everywhere else. The difference with that release though was that Tamiya officially announced it well before it was available to buy anywhere at all. Unlike what has happened here with the Bigwig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Can't remember the Avante being released early anywhere, I am pretty sure it hit all of the various markets around the globe at the same time in February 2011.

The Egress however was seen in Malaysian stores roughly 6 weeks before everywhere else. The difference with that release though was that Tamiya officially announced it well before it was available to buy anywhere at all. Unlike what has happened here with the Bigwig.

 

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but has anyone got an impression how many Bigwig kits that have already made it into shops, eBay or which are in other ways already available? 

The reason for asking is that a very low quantity could indicate that the kits are samples intended for the distributor(s) for use in their showrooms, sales activities and similar. When I worked for a Tamiya Distributor, we normally got 2-3 samples of almost every new item a couple of months before the first regular shipments for sale would arrive. In a few cases, these samples were shared with the best hobbyshops or their most enthusiastic employees. Of course, the intention was never that these samples should be sold on to regular customers, but if Tamiya still ships samples to the distributors like they used to do, it could be the explanation why (a few) kits are offered for sale in certain markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 2:08 PM, Thommo said:

Tamiya USA had a count down for a site facelift and it had folks here in a hissy spin :D. Until they found out it was just for a site facelift...

That was truely pathetic and I'm confident that must have caused a lot of lost loyalty and goodwill for Tamiya.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wandy said:

Can't remember the Avante being released early anywhere, I am pretty sure it hit all of the various markets around the globe at the same time in February 2011.

The Egress however was seen in Malaysian stores roughly 6 weeks before everywhere else. The difference with that release though was that Tamiya officially announced it well before it was available to buy anywhere at all. Unlike what has happened here with the Bigwig.

 

Their handling of the Blackfoot and Bigwig is not the norm then, luckily. Hopefully it's just some sand in the machinery and 2017 will see a return to form.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now