Nitomor

Monster Racer, King Cab Gearbox

Hello to those of you interested in this chassis,

large.IMG_1166.JPG.80298225bde6a441037a8

Having managed to get my mitts on this pair of twins, one NIB, the other the same but the build had just partially commenced up to the gearbox, I spent a couple of hours trying to see how an idea I had been cooking up might pan out.

After reading about all the woes of this gbox, I wanted to see if there was a Tamiya solution to this. Before getting my twins, I decided to try to recreate the Monster Racer with a DT03T, chosen because of its many similarities, not least the gearbox out back. Being a perpetual tinkerer, my plan B for the KC was to see if I could shoehorn the DT box in there.

DT03T with MR Shell...

large.IMG_1130.JPG.e18948f3fb845904646c0

So I got the KC out today and had a look at the part built gbox casing and rear section...DT box in the background...

large.IMG_1177.JPG.6b3b9d72e57356f79eb37

By cutting off the lower wishbone mounting points this box would fit between the King Cab wishbone mounts, so that takes care of one little piggy, a new plate would need to be made to pick up the gbox mounting points which are different to the kC's...

large.IMG_1178.JPG.00fe293b51296bd6a41cc

Alternatively, you could use the DT arms and wishbone mounting points as the respective widths are very similar, though I would prefer to retain the KC arms...

large.IMG_1181.JPG.b3e6a887d42a2d251a2f9

Unfortunately, here's the rub, literally...

large.IMG_1179.JPG.9a766cd808c4ff6dcbc90

although most of the box' dimensions are very similar, the diff is much larger on the DT, and this is where the KC box is much smaller with its puny apparently problematic ball diff. The DT diff is much larger and unfortunately fouls on the rear overhang of the chassis. It's a pity becasue around the spur area clears fine. The point at which it contacts can be seen above and below...

large.IMG_1180.JPG.67c7276a363d876bc8542

So there it is, I think the chassis could be modified for the gearbox to fit, but it would require hacking a fair amount off that rear overhang. It's not something I'll be doing with this chassis but I'd like to have a go with it at some point in time. If they rere the chassis that would offer up some suitable spares!

Anyway, some food for thought on what I think would make quite a suitable replacement box, just a pity it's not a direct fit as I'd hoped, even though surprisingly the areas I expected it to be an issue weren't!!

• Like 3

Will you cut a 90 € chassis?

For a bad and rough gearbox?

Max

Unless you are going a low turn brushed/brushless id stick with the original gear , im running a rz stock in mine and the diff is fine .

If it were me i wouldnt be running these 2 much anyways...

4 hours ago, kontemax said:

Will you cut a 90 € chassis?

For a bad and rough gearbox?

Max

No I wouldn't, but if it gets Rere'd then I'd cut a £15-20 chassis. It looks a tough gearbox with a decent ball diff and not disimilair ratios although not as many. I wish Max I had the tools and skills to execute the changes you've suggested in other posts, unfortunately I don't ;) 

@iluvmud The super astute ttc is massive money, one on ebay at £180!

3 hours ago, chickenman242tk said:

Unless you are going a low turn brushed/brushless id stick with the original gear , im running a rz stock in mine and the diff is fine .

If it were me i wouldnt be running these 2 much anyways...

RZ is perfectly respectable. I just don't want to build it just to expeience failure shortly after. Why would you not run it much? Purely down to the box?

Mines not a glamour so i have no issue giving it a good run , usually bald tires on the bitumen for a bit of slidin' action.

Considering yours are virtually nib i would be very tentative to run them and risk damage , the box will be fine just use the correct grease in the ball diff and it will be sweet

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what is the ratio of the DT-03 gearbox? Is it the same as the DT-02? I ask because I vaguely remember someone making a modern Stadium Blitzer out of a DT-02 and the ratio was questionably too high with the smallish Blitzer tires. King Cab-size tires would be worse as they are bigger than Blitzer tires and Monster Beetle tires even worse yet. Tamiya actually went to the trouble of changing the internal ratio of the Bear Hawk gearbox when they outfitted it for the Stadium Blitzer.

39 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the ratio of the DT-03 gearbox? Is it the same as the DT-02? I ask because I vaguely remember someone making a modern Stadium Blitzer out of a DT-02 and the ratio was questionably too high with the smallish Blitzer tires. King Cab-size tires would be worse as they are bigger than Blitzer tires and Monster Beetle tires even worse yet. Tamiya actually went to the trouble of changing the internal ratio of the Bear Hawk gearbox when they outfitted it for the Stadium Blitzer.

Not sure about the gear ratios.  Start with smaller race truck tires (tarmac low profile) first to help tune with.  Endless inexpensive options out there for DT03T. 

DT02= DT03 gearbox so same ratio, can even get an ball diff for it.

Maybe its time for a shapeways gearbox which fits on the Monster chassis and uses newer gears and maybe a clutch.

• Like 1

DT03/02 On a 17T is 9.28:1

and 19T 8.3:1

The King Cab/MR is below...

large.IMG_1200.JPG.428b382e41b2cc2214c89

So on a 17T it is not far off the 20T option above.

• Like 2

I'm almost positive Tamiya changed the internal ratios from Bear Hawk to Blitzer. I think it was TA Mark that discovered this. But irregardless, it looks like the ratios will work out fine according to the King Cab manual. Makes me want a DT-03 converted truck now ;).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nitomor said:

DT03/02 On a 17T is 9.28:1

and 19T 8.3:1

The King Cab/MR is below...

large.IMG_1200.JPG.428b382e41b2cc2214c89

So on a 17T it is not far off the 20T option above.

I used 15T and 14T on the King Cab.

Max

12 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I'm almost positive Tamiya changed the internal ratios from Bear Hawk to Blitzer. I think it was TA Mark that discovered this.

No, I'm sorry, I was.

:D:D:D

Max

• Like 1

Being a bit of a blitzer/bear hawk freak can confirm bear hawk has a 48t spur vs the blitzer's 50t .my bear hawk runner uses blitzer gears as im running a 13x2 mod in it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kontemax said:

No, I'm sorry, I was.

You know, I thought it might have been you, kontemax, that discovered that. I think I got mixed up with TA Mark using a Blitzer gearbox in his Bear Hawk to better accommodate a Castle brushless system. It was years ago now I suppose. Time flies.

• Like 1

:D:D

I was joking, ahahah! :D

I discovered the difference but probably many people here already discovered it before me probably.

Max

• Like 2