The Knight

TA02 self made drive shaft?

I have replaced the chassis by a self made one. The Wheelbase is noch 10-12mm shorter. So the drive shaft is now too long.

How can I made an alternative drive shaft?

Not sure what size it is but someone on here put me on to 5mm carbon tubes on EBay. Cut them the length and add a pin at each end, all for just a couple of quid

The hop-up driveshaft has ends that resemble a flat-bladed screwdriver, so I suppose you could get some aluminium tube, cut it to length, squash the ends flat and file them to fit the slots in the outdrives?

• Like 1

Carbon or alu shaft (hollow), cut to length, insert existing driveshaft ends, bond with 2 part, pin through, lock pin/bond.

You need a decent wall thickness. 

Not sure how the pin through approach would work with ends taken from a stock TA-02 propshaft? They are made of thin coat hanger wire, and drilling a hole of any significant size through that to insert a pin would remove too much material and leave it considerably weakened I would have thought.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Not sure how the pin through approach would work with ends taken from a stock TA-02 propshaft? They are made of thin coat hanger wire, and drilling a hole of any significant size through that to insert a pin would remove too much material and leave it considerably weakened I would have thought.

Yeah I think some people really need to know exactly what a TA01/TA02 prop shaft looks like. There is NO pin for the propshaft, its a thin metal wire with 2 loops, one either end that insert into each gearbox end. Def think a hollow steel tube cut to length and each end crushed to form the same shape as a flat head screwdriver. As long as its not aluminium as that could warp so easily under rotation

Stock TA02 propshaft.

tamiya-3485039-58087-manta-ray-ta01-df01

Optional Hard Type upgrade Propshaft set

b_9805901.jpg

James

:)

I was in a rush posting, you either double the end over so you put a pin through the middle or if you want to use a straight length use a grub screw. Depends on the ID of the new shaft to how much space you have as you need a fairly compressed fit. 

43 minutes ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Yeah I think some people really need to know exactly what a TA01/TA02 prop shaft looks like. There is NO pin for the propshaft, its a thin metal wire with 2 loops, one either end that insert into each gearbox end. Def think a hollow steel tube cut to length and each end crushed to form the same shape as a flat head screwdriver. As long as its not aluminium as that could warp so easily under rotation

Stock TA02 propshaft.

tamiya-3485039-58087-manta-ray-ta01-df01

Optional Hard Type upgrade Propshaft set

b_9805901.jpg

James

:)

I see that now. The Yeah racing kits converts it to a more modern types so would be easy to modify

have the hard type upgrade.

I could use a sold alloy tube and cut of the end. but isn't there an easier option?

Hollow tube and insert is the best way as you need a hardened end so it doesn't bend/warp. 

Unless you are happy with a wire ds as per below

I made one up for my custom TA02 wheeler chassis from a Lengh of piano wire from my LHS. Just filed flats each end. 

Cut it too any size you want. 

1 minute ago, Jamesssb said:

I made one up for my custom TA02 wheeler chassis from a Lengh of piano wire from my LHS. Just filed flats each end. 

Cut it too any size you want. 

This works, you can also just shorten and re-shape/loop the standard wire/thin rod driveshaft.

On 11/6/2016 at 4:13 AM, The Knight said:

have the hard type upgrade.

I could use a sold alloy tube and cut of the end. but isn't there an easier option?

Yes, just cut your current one to length and file down the end that you cut to reshape the blade. Easy.

On 8.11.2016 at 4:00 AM, djmcnz said:

Yes, just cut your current one to length and file down the end that you cut to reshape the blade. Easy.

Sry fot late answer.... I am ready with building my chassis and I got a little mistake.

20170216_232428 (Andere).jpg

The joint shaft in front have a little buckling, so I can't install the steel drive shaft, it wouldn't spin.

Is there a solution to fix it? I can't rebuild the front part.

Ok, it is not a doomsday,if I wouldn't fix it. I also can drive as 2WD in rear, because this truck isn't a crawler or fast or something, it's more than a showcase model. ;)

Edit: mmmmh cut in the middle of the steel drive shaft and connecting the 2 parts with a CC01 joint shaft?

tam_4135042_001.jpg

If it's not going to be driven then the universal joint will work but if it will be driven then that joint will unbalance the shaft and it won't work very well at all I'm afraid.

Why don't the shaft joints line up? It might be easier to fix that?

On 2/21/2017 at 7:34 AM, The Knight said:

The easiest way, is the simplest way.

20170219_112154 (Andere).jpg

Steel Crawler Drive shaft.

Thread closed! ;)

Did you ever finish this project?  It looks awesome!

39 minutes ago, JatoTheRipper said:

Did you ever finish this project?  It looks awesome!

Yes and it drives good. The drive shaft do a good job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Knight said:

Yes and it drives good. The drive shaft do a good job.

Do you have anymore photos or even running video?  I'd love to see more.

5 hours ago, The Knight said:

No videos... on german page rockcrawler.de I have a gallery with lot of pictures of the truck.

36305-6717efd1.jpg

36313-fe8d9463.jpg

That is awesome!  Excellent work!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 8:34 PM, The Knight said:

The easiest way, is the simplest way.

20170219_112154 (Andere).jpg

Steel Crawler Drive shaft.

Thread closed! ;)

How did you connect the universal to the gear boxes?

57 minutes ago, The Knight said:

Simple stick on it, 5mm in diameter.

Thanks!

is there a specific model?   I am eying the CC-01 rear universal