Jason1145

Tamiya Manta Ray DF-01 - New to me

5 minutes ago, Darat76 said:

I'm not in the UK, but your more than welcome to send it to me... :ph34r:

Bwwaaaaahhaaaaaa... no ;p

Aluminium knuckles ordered.... front and rear..... more expense... bah humbug!

I will get this running properly if it kills me.

10 hours ago, waterbok said:

6dR18OSyvmSAaMdkFk7u8HL37xrR9wnpyP7OitSj

Hmmmmm, my GPM mount doesn't have that flat spot to denote the bottom.... and when mounted in the chassisĀ  when I look at mineĀ  (so I can see it from the battery holder side) the two mount locations are reversed from the image shown above.

Ultimately though, my 20t pinion is only going to mount in either the second from left or second from right end hole!

And I just noticed the different spur gears available in 74t, 69t and 66t... I should check my spur to confirm the number of teeth (it's stock whatever that is?)

alloy rear I can dig that, alloy front I can't, will most likely kill a c-hub....

1 minute ago, Darat76 said:

alloy rear I can dig that, alloy front I can't, will most likely kill a c-hub....

Oh the joy to run it long enough to kill a front C hub, I would be very happy with that ;p

• Like 1

it doesn't matter, all the holes should be in the exact same location for each pinion on each side of the mount points

Got it running today... makes a horrible noise on quick startup though...... but after 5 minutes the pinion must've come off the motor as I'm used to that sound lol!

It really shifts on 3900kv, 20t pinion and 2s lipoĀ  :)

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

. makes a horrible noise on quick startup though....

Ā 

Carefull you might have to much torque on start with your brushless setup, you will need to strengthen the rear gearbox top cover, this gets pushed up and the gears will slip.

38 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Carefull you might have to much torque on start with your brushless setup, you will need to strengthen the rear gearbox top cover, this gets pushed up and the gears will slip.

Aaaaahhaaaaaaaa.. I thought this might be the issue all along but couldn't quite believe it was so simple and that this could actually happen as it is held down quite tightly with those 3 screws!

In all honesty one of my 3 screws is a bit loose from having been over tightened by the previous owner so it doesn't actually bite that much and therefore I have to be gentle with it for fear of stripping it more..... either I need a new rear gear box (lower part with fresh threads) or how to strengthen the top gearbox cover?

Additionally I need to look at trying to turn down the punch on the esc to reduce aggressive start-ups.... that's the trouble with these cheap Chinese non branded esc's, finding the right menu table to identify the features using the set button.... I think it's option 4 (Punch -1-9) as this is what most Hobbywing esc's use and this seems to be a copy somewhat.

Update - the ESC set button is unresponsive so no go on adjusting the punch settings.

And the pinion wasĀ firmly attached to the motor when I pulled it out so there must be gear slippage inside the gearbox, Ā new rear gearbox ordered.

On 21.12.2016 at 4:55 PM, Jason1145 said:

Aaaaahhaaaaaaaa... either I need a new rear gear box (lower part with fresh threads) or how to strengthen the top gearbox cover?

Search the forum I think there are several threads where this is solved with loads of pictures

15 hours ago, waterbok said:

Awesome thanks Mr Bok, so it looks like two of the 3 screws can be reinforced thisĀ way to increase grip, will do this for sure when the new gear box arrives.

Ā 

Here are some update photo's from the last few weeks.... new wheels and bodyshell and that GPM Motor MOunt..... not forgetting a snazzy orange battery holder :P

rhHNIJk.jpg

GZWTDyV.jpg

Top - Ball diffĀ 

Bottom - gear diff

IUBtaZ5.jpg

nZFvNfE.jpg

ntuKit5.jpg

XOP278I.jpg

pkeOO4A.jpg

7rCoAId.jpg

wQdEkZH.jpg

Old shell is toast, cracked, repaired and cracked again across front mount hole area... fit for bin only.

I painted wrong side of rear wingĀ so that was wasted Ā ;p

zpD8eS2.jpg

• Like 3

I wanted to know where the pink wheels came from, I haven't been able to find them online

9 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

I wanted to know where the pink wheels came from, I haven't been able to find them online

They look like TT-02b MS ones to me.

Wheels are DF03 and cost Ā£16 posted from EBay UK

Shell is a Kamtec replica shell ( no wing) for Ā£15 off EBay UK

Ā 

• Like 1

Lol nice color scheme.... that's exactly how I painted my tt02b-ms..... Ā a 90's revival :)Ā 

5 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I have them in greenĀ :)

IMG_20161223_064257.jpg

6 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

That's them, I haven't been able to find them,

I have a set I have not used yet. Not bothered about the colour so could sell / swap them if you are desperate.

58 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

I have them in greenĀ :)

IMG_20161223_064257.jpg

NICE where'd you get them?!?!?!?!

• Like 1

The Kamtec shell doesn't come with a wing, but the photos on their eBay advert show the car fitted with a carbon effect one:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That ought to look rather good with your black and pink paint scheme.

Anybody know which wing it is?Ā 

• Like 1