Sign in to follow this  
4x4 Chris

Masking lights before painting.

Hi tamiya club, I have built the tamiya Porsche 911 gt2 (ta02sw). I want to add headlight buckets. The kit does not include a sticker to mask lights before painting. Is there some method for cutting out some masking tape to fit the inside of the body where the headlights will go? Or is it simply trial and error until the tape fits? I tried for an hour last night but was not satisfied with the results.  Thanks for any tips or advice. I would really like to get this part of the body done correctly. 

It's trail and error mate,

You can use oversized tape and trim with a Sharpe blade after to the exact shape.

svenb

Hi Chris,

I always mask lights in a kind of spiral-staircase fashion. That way you only have to shape a very narrow piece of tape up against the masking-line.

The headlight sticker's border should then cover any tiny irregularities.

Hopefully this picture illustrates what I mean.

P1000941_zpsprbqfnx6.jpg

I use rcs liquid mask, paint on three thin layers  around the area giving each one a couple of hours or so to dry then I draw the shape of the light on the overspray film on the outside of the shell using a sharpie pen this gives you a nice easy to see line for cutting out the mask. Then take a hobby knife with a fresh sharp blade and using gentle pressure cut the excess masking away and peel off. Once you're finished painting lightly score around the mask and peel away. 

It's a bit more work but it's definitely the best way in my opinion. 

Thanks again, I like that "spiral staircase" method. And, I will eventually try both ways mentioned. I just don't have the liquid mask and I want to get down to spraying.

Chris

I just discovered a quarter fits perfectly into the area I need to mask. So now I can find a way to temporarily attach the quarter or use it as a template to cut the tape.

I like that staircase method. Looks very nice in the photos.  Personally I cut thin strips of masking tape about 2mm wide and run them around the edges.  Thin tape curves easily and provides crisp straight paint lines.  Once the edges are laid down, I fill in the remaining open areas with various pieces of tape.

There is no way I could get away with the liquid mask on a shelf-queen body. I do not have a steady enough hand to cut satisfactory edges.  I am extremely picky.  I also would never have the patience to wait 3 hours between each coat of masking film.  I usually have all my layers of masking tape laid down in less than 2 hours.