Collin

TR-15T, the TR-18T conversion.

Oh, you Europeans with fantastic cars!  (And fantastic neighbors!)  

I like small cars. I could get something like a 1967 Mustang for around $4000.  But I don't want to.  Maybe because they are just easy to get.  In my school days, a kid had Volvo P1800 in creme color.  I asked him where he got it.  He said, "I built it."  I assume he fixed it.  I don't think I've ever seen another P1800 again.  I'm sure these things are still around in Europe.  If I can get a good one and convert it into an electric, that'd be my dream come true.  Even though it's not a hatchback.  

I love hatchbacks like Mini and Renault 5. Come to think of it, we drive an old Subaru Forester. My wife wants the new Fiat 500.  

RGxWszv.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, in german language we have a old saying: "Wer viel misst, misst Mist." Hard to translate but it means, I did some mess with measuring the balance, again. :lol:

Two propper scales, the result is not bad at all, 10g on the rear and 4g on the front, but diagonal, hmm. The chassis is straight for shure!  At the end not bad, after all the modification with the bigger motor and the new top plate. Front to rear balance is 40% front and 60% rear.  I tried a few rounds with +40/60/100g to the front axle but did not mentioned any positive improvement on the steering. Honestly, I think I am better in mechanics than setting RC cars. :rolleyes:

tr_88.jpg

tr_89.jpg

But what I figured out was the setting of the EPA on the steering. I set it on 60% left and right, there was the the limit for the steering. With no EPA steering was much more direct and did felt better, but not perfect. I am not shure, maybe I should have a look for a stronger servo and a harder spring on the servo protection? Maybe the strong engine is simply pushing the steering back to straight? I guess here is much improvement to get.

Anyway, have a look how this little monster does on tarmac with some thin layer of gravel. ;)

https://a-tom.org/tc/TR-18T_annaberg.mp4

At 1:36 it was so **** close to hit the car,.. and yes, its my Lightsword on the right :P

@Juggular See, thats the difference between here and there. I would go for the Mustang :D

That engine sounds good.  For such an old chassis, it runs very well too!

"Wer viel misst, misst Mist" is a German tongue-twister too?  Sounds fun.  If I were to make up an English version, it'd be like, "if you nit-pick, you get picked by nitwits" or something.  I'm randomly making things up.  There is no such phrase in English.  

What happen in the last time, the CVD conversion fitting TR-15T and Dyna Blaster. Quality of the CVDs not verified jet.

Both parts, the CVD and the HEX are available at various sources under HSP 94155 94170 94188 when you use google search.

I made 3mm brass spacer with a phase on one side, to have only contact to the inner ring of the bearing. The hex where cuttet in two halfs, the one with the shoulder is 6mm now, facing the bearing with the showen upside. Again the inner ring is in touch and the outer one runs free.

tr_90.jpg

The mark is from the hex screw, i reduced the brass spacer from 4 to 3mm, now it sit properly.

tr_91.jpg

tr_92.jpg

Hope to find some time next week to see if the noname CVD takes the power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As expected, there are some issues with the noname CVDs. after 10 minutes of running I mentioned this:

tr_93.jpg

But its only the allen screw which get loose. Nasty thing, the pin scratched a bit around inside the hub.  I used loctite now on my other ones and I hope thats it. Honestly I expectet much less. Some customers rated the CVD really low and wrote about breaking on running in ect... Seems like a broad range of steel quality.

• Sad 1

Today is X-Mas, Easter, Birthday and a few other celebrations together.... :wub:    You know why?

tr_94.jpg

I got this half Dyna Blaster plus some interesting spare shafts for a very good price. I did know about this for more than a year and finally the guy sold it to me. So what to do with all this? I think I can complete it with some of the TR-15T spares I already have and an order at ORB racing. Some fresh 3D printed hubs, D-parts and bulkhead combined with some selfmade carbone parts. I am really, really happy with this piece as I have to admit, the Dyna Blaster/Storm/TR Family is the one production line I am most interested in, other Tamiya products never catched me so much. Its a pitty that they did not built on this innovativ design.

So far everything with the TR-18T is excellent. I did some liters of Nitro and its all fine with transmission and CVDs. I did some maintenance and had a closer look at the pilot shaft. I figured out some play and solfed it but had a thought about spare parts (it´s an obsession :D).

tr_95.jpg

On the left side you can see the pilot shaft for TNX/TG10. It´s almost the same but has this little nipple, easy to remove on the lathe. This pilot shafts are much easier and cheaper to get than TR-15T ones.

And this here, will be the winter project, guess what!
tr_96.jpg

:ph34r:

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Collin said:

Today is X-Mas, Easter, Birthday and a few other celebrations together.... :wub:    You know why?

tr_94.jpg

I got this half Dyna Blaster plus some interesting spare shafts for a very good price. I did know about this for more than a year and finally the guy sold it to me. So what to do with all this? I think I can complete it with some of the TR-15T spares I already have and an order at ORB racing. Some fresh 3D printed hubs, D-parts and bulkhead combined with some selfmade carbone parts. I am really, really happy with this piece as I have to admit, the Dyna Blaster/Storm/TR Family is the one production line I am most interested in, other Tamiya products never catched me so much. Its a pitty that they did not built on this innovativ design.

So far everything with the TR-18T is excellent. I did some liters of Nitro and its all fine with transmission and CVDs. I did some maintenance and had a closer look at the pilot shaft. I figured out some play and solfed it but had a thought about spare parts (it´s an obsession :D).

tr_95.jpg

On the left side you can see the pilot shaft for TNX/TG10. It´s almost the same but has this little nipple, easy to remove on the lathe. This pilot shafts are much easier and cheaper to get than TR-15T ones.

And this here, will be the winter project, guess what!
tr_96.jpg

:ph34r:

Mmhhhh lots of yummiyummi CVD's. If you have a set you'd let go, just gimme a shout:wub:

@scoobybooster I have it in my mind but I have to sleep over. There will not show up so many and now I got this Dyna Blaster... :unsure:

@Ann3x .21 will come but I have to find a block which is small enough. With the .18 it was just close to get it in. Next step will be the reso-pipe. Man, I opened a thread about the Dyna Blaster, which is my way to have e electric TR-15T (btw. how about yours?) Definitly I can need good advice from an engineere like you. :) 

23 hours ago, Collin said:

@scoobybooster I have it in my mind but I have to sleep over. There will not show up so many and now I got this Dyna Blaster... :unsure:

@Ann3x .21 will come but I have to find a block which is small enough. With the .18 it was just close to get it in. Next step will be the reso-pipe. Man, I opened a thread about the Dyna Blaster, which is my way to have e electric TR-15T (btw. how about yours?) Definitly I can need good advice from an engineere like you. :) 

Im moving house atm so all projects on hold. I think my TR-15T just needs a shell painting now. Electrics are redone.

Anyone of you TR owner ever tried fitting a reso pipe? I will but I simply dont know where to put it. The is no space! I would love to have id left side, the side along the accupack but there is the stud of the rolling-bar. Also it is very narrow with the shell around and I dont want to cut all the side of the shell. Madmax style would be straight out of the rear and up in the sky, but that looks to brutal and will get damaged when flipping over. Any idears? PLEASE! :unsure:

I think we all know this one, but the shell... hmmm...

With endpipe down like TG10 maybe... Anyway, tried some different pipes and does not fit with shell. No chance.

Bought this rotary slider from ebay.uk out of curiosity. I am excited to see what they did to the slider cutout to make it rev higher, as promissed.

@acprc

Did you know about this slider ?

s-l400.jpg.05605af1311bdeecd748ea89b85b4a03.jpg

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Bought this rotary slider from ebay.uk out of curiosity. I am excited to see what they did to the slider cutout to make it rev higher, as promissed.

@acprc

Did you know about this slider ?

s-l400.jpg.05605af1311bdeecd748ea89b85b4a03.jpg

Hiya, I am aware of the part but never owned one.

I will report once I got it. Doing some side by side pics with original slider.

So after the part was lost on transport it showed up today with a lot of funny stickers on th envelope. So glad this little gem arrived finally.

slider_fs_15.jpg

As you can see, slider is the same, difference is the slider opening by 0.5mm diameter.