Sign in to follow this  
Jedward

30th Anniversay Cat

1987 was a landmark year for Cats. While Schumacher's Cat XLS was winning the IFMAR 4WD OR title, Traxxas was launching the first hobby grade RTR in the form of the Tom Cat, or just simply the Cat.

It is a car heavily influenced by Tamiya - a Grasshopper style chassis & trailing transmission, a body shell reminiscent of the Fox and Yellow CVA style dampers, albeit with a unique way of adjusting spring rates.

Inspired by an article on URC, I plan to restore and gently modify this car to race at next years Iconic Revival - 30 years after the Cat was released.

This is what I purchased on eBay recently vs. what I would like to create...

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

I'd like the car to be mostly vintage cat but with some modern additions that will improve handling, a Resto-mod really! Typically this will include electrics, 2.2 wheels, and modern shocks.

Yesterday evening I started to strip the car down. As you can see there's quite a lot of dirt and dust on it suggesting its been in storage for some time;

It became apparent how brittle the chassis was or perhaps the servos had been super glued in-place? Either way 3 screw thread snapped whilst trying to remove the screws! This is in addition to the damage to the right-hand battery stay which was how the car arrived with me. A new chassis will be required!

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg