Shodog

Reproduction Wild Willy Blazer tires.

Anybody buy a set of the reproduction WW1 Blazer tires?  I've got a set on order from an eBay seller. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282258069036

They look great I was just wondering if anybody has had any thoughts on  them  

• Like 4

I will definitely post my thoughts. These tires are what has been holding me from starting the restoration of my blazer that I have had for many years.  I just couldn't justify spending what a set of vintage new tires cost on ePay. 

There's another matter that you didn't consider.

These tires are new.

New rubber.

New compound.

They will survive longer for sure than vintage tires with 30 years of life.

And they seem also well built.

Max

It's nice that the prohibition on discussing repro parts has been lifted.  Doing what @RA1028 is doing here, or Marwan does with Kyosho, or TBG with bodies or MCI Racing with decals - these are a great service to the vintage collector / enthusiast community.  The entire hobby would probably be significantly less popular if the only way to get some of these parts was to spend years and $$ hunting them down bit by bit.  That can be rewarding too... but having the option to use reproduction parts, even if only as placeholders until originals can be located, is really helpful.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

It's nice that the prohibition on discussing repro parts has been lifted.

Real? When it happened? I didn't know it.

Why the TC decided to eliminate the prohibition?

Max

2 hours ago, kontemax said:

Real? When it happened? I didn't know it.

Why the TC decided to eliminate the prohibition?

Max

Max, click on the link beef posted just above your post here.  Twinset explained why.   I had no idea the ban was lifted, so thank you @beefmuffin for mentioning it.

These tires look awesome.  I always hoped someone would make HiLux tires again since it seems like Tamiya never will.  Thank you Peter for making these!

Hi Peter,

Would it be possible to buy them in sets of two instead of four and with shipment separated from the product price?

That way a lot of buyers in Europe might be able to order without paying customs duty. :rolleyes:

Example for Germany if product price is around 22€ without shipment and the invoice is on the outside of the package all is well :)

1 hour ago, waterbok said:

Hi Peter,

Would it be possible to buy them in sets of two instead of four and with shipment separated from the product price?

That way a lot of buyers in Europe might be able to order without paying customs duty. :rolleyes:

Example for Germany if product price is around 22€ without shipment and the invoice is on the outside of the package all is well :)

Please discuss this via PM - whilst the rules have been relaxed regarding private sales of repro goods, traders and manufacturers are still not permitted to advertise or promote their goods here.

I bought some of the Wild willy repro tires 3 or 4 so years ago. They are well built matches the original ones great. Never had it run yet. Maybe i'll try to see how it goes. :-)

Very nice - this is the first time I've seen Repro blazer tires that have the Sand Tires Unlimited lettering.

Two sets ordered :)

Ooooh! The seller has Hilux tires too.

I´d much rather have Tamiya rere the tires, but this will actually get my Hilux back on its feet. Worth a punt!

I got the tires in today. Very pleased with them. Looks like good quality construction plus the lettering if different enough so you can spot them as reproduction. Keeping all the purists happy. 

AE944802-A245-409D-B1CF-ADB4A5C17B0F_zps

F6A4A864-1D29-4F72-A081-886B759B3C12_zps

• Like 6

I was thinking they might be taller than stock so I mounted one and it looks great 

DC21DBC8-6323-45B8-9294-738868BE048F_zps 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, casethejoint said:

Is that a custom decal work in progress there Shodog?

Yes. I usually photocopy the decals then try them out for placement.

08.27.15%20002_zpsmq8qyy2p.jpg

On my blazer i didn't have access to a copier so I just traced the decals on tracing paper

• Like 2

Neat trick on the decals :). Do you then laser print them to waterslide paper ?

My tires also arrived today. As mentioned by Shodog, the quality is fantastic, nice supple rubber, and the lettering is just a tiny bit taller so you know they're not original but they'll still look fantastic.

Will try to get to lettering them at the weekend and I think I'll use this set on my restored Willy :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_64ad.jpg

• Like 3

I did the lettering on one of these today. Good news and bad news...

Good news : they look great :). I actually prefer the font to the originals. I'm going to use these on my Blazer restoration.

Bad news : the originals are hard enough, but the thinner lettering is even harder to paint :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_64c7.jpg

• Like 6

Mine arrived today, they look great.

I cant believe how fast they got here, Hong Kong to the UK in 5 days!!!