firefoxussr

M06L Porsche 911 GT2

I have but one requirement on all of my cars.  The motor should sit in the same approximate place as the real car.  So here we go.

I like the Porsche 911, for me the styling is hit or miss.  Early 911s are beautiful, 935s are beautiful, 993s are beautiful, and I really like the 991.  Part of its beauty is that it is an oddball.  Mid-engine has had a clear advantage for the ultimate in performance since its debut.  So undeniable is this fact that for the first time the 911 RSR will now feature a midship layout.  Not like the 1990s 911 GT1, which is essentially a group C car with 911 windows and lights, of which less than 50 were ever built.

How could I possibly not make my 993 rear engine when Tamiya makes it easy?

I excitedly built the gearbox section without even taking a photo.  It's all standard fare, plus bearings of course.

Here it is before joining the section to the main chassis:

lfxeOj7.jpg

More to come!

• Like 5

I like the way your brian works! I too applaud 'old' Tamiya's way attempts to make the drivetrain configuration and motor position match as well as they can to the real car. I've thought about building an M06 with TL01 arms (to get it to the correct width) and then put an old Porsche body on it. 

Oh, btw; your pics don't seem to work. ;)

Pics work fine for me. But be interesting to see if the body can still sit nice and low and clear the motor at the rear.

James

:)

• Like 1

Photobucket is often blocked by enterprise firewalls (like mine)...can't wait to see the pictures at home! :)

On 11/21/2016 at 1:38 PM, GooneyBird said:

I like the way your brain works! I too applaud 'old' Tamiya's way attempts to make the drivetrain configuration and motor position match as well as they can to the real car. I've thought about building an M06 with TL01 arms (to get it to the correct width) and then put an old Porsche body on it. 

Oh, btw; your pics don't seem to work. ;)

My mistake, I moved them to the M06 folder, it's updated now.  

On 11/21/2016 at 1:46 PM, Jim_GT-R said:

Pics work fine for me. But be interesting to see if the body can still sit nice and low and clear the motor at the rear.

James

easily, see internet posting:

164c29436c2b485d913fdfa980b5d66b.jpg
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/imp7922jp/e/500480b3a5c0f60da4e1794686f1f7c2

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Wow, yeah loads of room as well. :) Gonna be fun to see what the handling is like etc.

James

Yep, I want real RR handling... because it's a 911.   I'll not be doing axle extending like the gentleman that posted this pic, wider wheels make more sense.  It seems like with every subsequent 911, the rear wheels get wider and wider.

• Like 2

The one thing that bugs me about the M06 is rear suspension adjustments are a PITA. Perhaps I'm missing a trick, but it seems small adjustments require removing a lot of parts to gain access to tie rods or damper positions.

Like this idea though, should turn out sweet. I have a second 911 GT2 body and have amassed parts to build a second TA03-RS, but if I'd have thought of this I'm sure I would havea saved quite a bit of cash!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 1:26 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

The one thing that bugs me about the M06 is rear suspension adjustments are a PITA. Perhaps I'm missing a trick, but it seems small adjustments require removing a lot of parts to gain access to tie rods or damper positions.

Like this idea though, should turn out sweet. I have a second 911 GT2 body and have amassed parts to build a second TA03-RS, but if I'd have thought of this I'm sure I would havea saved quite a bit of cash!

Thanks!  I have an R-S for that came with the 911 GT1 shell, but have no intent on running the TA03.  It's so heavy and just seems fragile.  

But it is nice to have a place to display one of my 037 bodies.

First set of axles. I love the power wire holders. Nice touch Tamiya. 

[pic blocked from phtobucket]

• Like 1

Front lower control arms and stuff:

e4ecdvW.jpg

I can't overstress how important it is to lube this Phillips screw that goes through the assembly (nearly destroyed the head putting it in without, the other with lube was cake).

hHqq64S.jpg

As you can see; wheelbase is a good match, ample room in the rear for the motor, and the body can potentially sit very low:

8MPwcN1.jpg

To be honest I wish the motor sat back even further, however detrimental it would be to the handling :-D

aChwNQz.jpg

• Like 1

More progress.  Built some things wrong.  Like forgot the front shock tower.  Upon adding shock absorbers I noticed and fixed.

Now with springs.  Can't help but notice this has an unacceptable amount of positive camber.
wkJ1b6Q.jpg

I went ahead and disconnected the upper control arm temporarily since it's not apparent what's wrong.

That said the wheels look like they're in a good place for width. And for wheelbase.
9LZxFeA.jpg

Until next time guys!

• Like 5

The springs were on right the first time.   And apparently you have to glue the HPI tires, even if only running 2S.

image missing

Anyone who's built an M06... is this too much positive camber?   It looks wrong to me. 
Mhl0CMZ.jpg
Put on HPI Cup Racer wheels/tires to make sure it wasn't the exaggerated dimensions of wide touring car tires causing the issue.

What is the front camber like at ride height? It looks like a lot of front suspension droop there which may be exaggerating it.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:11 AM, firefoxussr said:

So the camber was an easy fix.  Just put the tie rods down to like 1-2mm gap.  Done.

IMG_20170117_210102_zpsbfmlgzci.jpg

Money shot.

IMG_20170117_210049_zpszkqxrcgl.jpg

Wheelbase looking dead on.

IMG_20170117_205608_zpst1hmepmy.jpg

The body sits incredibly low.

IMG_20170117_205636_zpsbgymi94u.jpg

Springs are totes on backwards, will fix next time.

so nice, i have the wheels :-)

maybe i would do another Porsche :-)

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 3:05 AM, StueyS said:

What is the front camber like at ride height? It looks like a lot of front suspension droop there which may be exaggerating it.

looks like at least +5 degrees.  i'll take a pic.

o8ALHw4.jpg

Opted for more holes in the back, after some trial and error. It does fit in the front by enlarging the front holes a bit. 

• Like 1

Engine doesn't stick out far enough.  Perhaps mount the ESC back there.

That's some positive camber.

The highest camber value I ever used is 0.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:45 AM, firefoxussr said:

IMG_20170301_212507120_zpszpbyo4fp.jpg

Opted for more holes in the back, after some trial and error. It does fit in the front by enlarging the front holes a bit. 

You got that body lined up beautifully with the arches. I'm having a nightmare with my Porsche. I got the 40th anniversary RSR 934 for Christmas but I was planning on fitting the GT2 bodyshell.  Before I tried sitting the shell on the chassis I swapped out the swing arms for alloy ones, This didn't work at all, I've changed it back the original swing arms and its still wrong.    I'm going to have to build the chassis that comes with the GT2 (kit 84399, I just sold one but luckily I kept one).  Hopefully the wheelbase lines up spot on. 

• Like 2

@SRB Bloke take some pictures, I'm sure someone can set you right.  Perhaps the body posts are sitting on the wrong side of the shock tower or something.

Over the weekend I test drove the chassis minus body.  This went well as I've got rid of the bad handling tendencies.  It does pull to the left noticeably.  I also tried out a new ESC with a different motor.  The motor is from my old SCT, I don't think it works well in this chassis.  It is unsensored and seems to cog/lockup when braking.  Not a problem on a FWD/4WD car, but on a pure RWD it can lead to a slide and then traction roll.  So after destroying the ESC fan, I've decided a milder and sensored motor setup is in order until I get the hang of driving the M06.   I'm using full-size touring car tires on an M-chassis, I need to lower the center of gravity.  Perhaps shorter springs.

Found the drive shaft and cup. All fixed now.  Sweet.

I'm still going to do this after the power system swap.  All air-cooled 911s have fan noise, so let's make it functional.

ESC removed.  Paint applied.

I still haven't ordered GT3 light buckets.   

Plan is to swap the power system, test drive to make sure it won't insta-roll, and finish up the dual-element wing and decals.

• Like 8

Handling is near perfect now.   Still pulls to the left, but I'll get that figured out.  It will be running a 13.5 turn setup initially. 

I think after removing the damper spacers, the car is sufficiently low.

• Like 3

This thing is super fun to drive.   I'd say it's 90% complete.  

I'm planning on neatening up the wiring and relocating the ESC just under the rear intercooler area.  And of course adding a 13 turn motor, it's 17turn for testing.

The wheels look like they rub as a co-worker pointed out, but I assure you they don't.  I have aluminum tape in place to protect any potential rubbing spots.

I'm also planning to neaten up the wheel arches (I know how, just haven't done it) as well as some other areas.

• Like 2