firefoxussr

M06L Porsche 911 GT2

13 minutes ago, Mannyp1980 said:

It looks cool.

I just noticed you're in Namibia how cool !   I know it's not local, but my wife is a Kenyan.   #tamiyaglobal 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

I just noticed you're in Namibia how cool !   I know it's not local, but my wife is a Kenyan.   #tamiyaglobal 

Not Local, but on the Continent, so close enough. Where in Kenya is she from?

Decals are now completed. 13 turn run tomorrow.  

[pic blocked from phtobucket]
The whole beast.  Look at those tires... after just one week of playing.

• Like 3

Thanks to @StrokerBoy

I put M03 rear uprights on the custom M06.

The 'sidewinder' path slow speed crawling is gone.  And it's less touchy on brakes.  This was really important because of the 34mm wide wheels with 14mm offset, on a standard M06 this would be no issue. I think the wheels look more 'correct' now.

RNeC2AT.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Firefox

Came across this thread from the more recent one about a 959 on a MF01...

Had not seen it before. Love what you have done here. Can you give us an update. Do you still drive it and is it fun to drive? Mulling over going the same route with a Lance 037 body and keen to get your thoughts on the M06 before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njmlondon said:

Hi Firefox

Came across this thread from the more recent one about a 959 on a MF01...

Had not seen it before. Love what you have done here. Can you give us an update. Do you still drive it and is it fun to drive? Mulling over going the same route with a Lanseyurrr 037 body and keen to get your thoughts on the M06 before pulling the trigger.

Yes, I drive it about once every two weeks.  It's a lot of fun to drive, great balance between drifting and grip.  I used to drive it twice a week but now the HPI tires/wheels are on terminal backorder, so I have been conserving the tires as it will need new ones soon.   I'm planning on running the widely available Vaterra 26/30mm wide staggered setup soon after I find some axle extenders.

As far as the Lancia 037 body on an M06, I wouldn't recommend it.  The 037 has a very short rear overhang as in 1:1, it is a mid-engine car.  Likely the M06's motor will not fit....plus you know why I made the 911 on an M06 if you read the first post.

Find an M04 and build it in L config with the Lancia 037 body, which @VagabondStarJXF has done too.  He even designed 3D printed body posts and proper m-chassis wheels, which you can buy from his Shapeways store.  Read about it in his threadOr my thread, mine is taking longer as I am not active on the project. 

21 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

As far as the Lancia 037 body on an M06, I wouldn't recommend it.  The 037 has a very short rear overhang as in 1:1, it is a mid-engine car.  Likely the M06's motor will not fit....plus you know why I made the 911 on an M06 if you read the first post.

Find an M04 and build it in L config with the Lancia 037 body, which @VagabondStarJXF has done too.  He even designed 3D printed body posts and proper m-chassis wheels, which you can buy from his Shapeways store.  Read about it in his threadOr my thread, mine is taking longer as I am not active on the project. 

Thanks for the advice. Looking again at the M06 I see what you mean. It really is very rear biased isn't it.

I too share your preference for a engine placement and drive in line with the prototype, so a mid-engine rwd chassis appeals. I shall go and look at the M04 options. It looks interesting.

• Like 1

Shared this pic with various Cayman groups, thought TCers might wanna see too.

nnqDQt1.jpg
Everything I have with a Porsche badge.

lz9XJe1.jpg
Protip: Don't leave the cars in there, the rear hatch area gets warm from the exhaust... bad for LiPos.

I'm considering putting a temporary body on my M06 for now while I figure out a good solution for offset wheels or perhaps decide on an axle extension.  Essentially every corner needs to be about 10mm wider, I'm hesitant to use longer arms because that means longer axles, longer steering, possible steering geometry problems.

• Like 3

On ‎21‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 4:17 PM, firefoxussr said:

I like the Porsche 911, for me the styling is hit or miss.  Early 911s are beautiful, 935s are beautiful, 993s are beautiful, and I really like the 991. 

You don't mention the 996 and 997. I wonder why? :P  Personally, I think the design of the 997 is acceptable, but the 996 is awful and it doesn't get better with age.  Unfortunately, even from a technical viewpoint and by Porsche standards, the 996 isn't even a particularly good car.

Harm Lagaay (the designer) once argued that the 996 couldn't possibly be as ugly many 911-fans argued as it was (at that time) the bestselling 911 ever.  With all the beautiful cars Harm Lagaay has designed, he's definitely a talented designer, but in case of the 996, I dare say that time has proven him wrong.  Considering the price levels of 993's and 997' compared with 996's (used cars), the verdict from the dedicated Porsche fans is pretty clear.

When new, as for any Porsche, a large part of the customer base aren't really diehard Porsche-fans, regardless of whether they claim to be or not. One of my best friends has worked for a major Porsche Zentrum the last 20-25 years, and he has told me all sorts of stories, and many of them are totally unbelievable. Most customers don't have a clue at all, neither of the Porsche history and heritage, nor of the technical basics of the cars like where the engine is located, the basic difference between V- and boxer-engines, or what front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and four wheel drive actually means.  For most of them, it's about status and to some degree performance and Porsche's excellent "daily driver" characteristics. They don't need to be convinced that the design is good, the cars are well engineered, are reliable and have great handling or that the Porsche heritage is carried on in their new cars, as they simply don't care and wouldn't understand or appreciate. No wonder the 996 sold so well!

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

You don't mention the 996 and 997. I wonder why? :P  Personally, I think the design of the 997 is acceptable, but the 996 is awful and it doesn't get better with age.  Unfortunately, even from a technical viewpoint and by Porsche standards, the 996 isn't even a particularly good car.

Harm Lagaay (the designer) once argued that the 996 couldn't possibly be as ugly many 911-fans argued as it was (at that time) the bestselling 911 ever.  With all the beautiful cars Harm Lagaay has designed, he's definitely a talented designer, but in case of the 996, I dare say that time has proven him wrong.  Considering the price levels of 993's and 997' compared with 996's (used cars), the verdict from the dedicated Porsche fans is pretty clear.

I thought the 993 was perfection and when the 996 came out I couldn't believe what they'd done to the 911 design.  All these years later however, I have to say I've come around to it.  It's flawed, but I think for me it is probably one of the best Porsches to buy right now.  Prices on every other 911 before it are ridiculous or heading that way.  Buy a 996 and you get a Porsche that's modern enough to enjoy, does what a 911 should do, and costs so much less compared to other 911s.  They've definitely aged better than Bangle-styled BMWs (which admittedly isn't exactly hard to do) but I wouldn't try talking a diehard Porsche fan into one of course.  I have to admit to being a bit of a contrarian, so part of the attraction is that nobody else really likes them.  Of course it's all academic since I personally don't have the money anyway.  :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blista said:

I thought the 993 was perfection and when the 996 came out I couldn't believe what they'd done to the 911 design.  All these years later however, I have to say I've come around to it.  It's flawed, but I think for me it is probably one of the best Porsches to buy right now.  Prices on every other 911 before it are ridiculous or heading that way.  Buy a 996 and you get a Porsche that's modern enough to enjoy, does what a 911 should do, and costs so much less compared to other 911s.  They've definitely aged better than Bangle-styled BMWs (which admittedly isn't exactly hard to do) but I wouldn't try talking a diehard Porsche fan into one of course.  I have to admit to being a bit of a contrarian, so part of the attraction is that nobody else really likes them.  Of course it's all academic since I personally don't have the money anyway.  :D

Good points! As awful as the design is (I'm subjective of course!) and as flawed as the 996 is (fact!), it now surely offers the most "Porsche" for the money.  A late model or an early model that has been sorted out of course is a good and reliable car, though ugly! :P And it's the only 911 I can afford, which is the reason I most unlikely will never own a 911.

Funny that you mention Chris Bangle too! I absolutely despise virtually everything he did at BMW, the Z3 and the Mini ACV 30 concept car being the only exceptions.  As for designs he did outside BMW, I like the Fiat Coupe and the Opel Junior concept car very much. Happy he's gone from BMW though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Good points! As awful as the design is (I'm subjective of course!) and as flawed as the 996 is (fact!), it now surely offers the most "Porsche" for the money.  A late model or an early model that has been sorted out of course is a good and reliable car, though ugly! :P And it's the only 911 I can afford, which is the reason I most unlikely will never own a 911.

Funny that you mention Chris Bangle too! I absolutely despise virtually everything he did at BMW, the Z3 and the Mini ACV 30 concept car being the only exceptions.  As for designs he did outside BMW, I like the Fiat Coupe and the Opel Junior concept car very much. Happy he's gone from BMW though!

Personally, I don't really care for 911s enough to want one.  Except the mid-engine ones - 993 GT1, GT1 98, and the new RSR.  The whole rear engine thing is quaint.  I thought if I found a nice Boxster S with the 'fried egg' headlamps, I'd cite its heritage... the 1998 LeMans winner... which by the way looks brilliant with the same headlamps.

I'm surprised to hear that Chris Bangle designed the Fiat Coupe... it's so pretty!  Easily one of the best looking FWD cars made. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

I thought if I found a nice Boxster S with the 'fried egg' headlamps, I'd cite its heritage... the 1998 LeMans winner... which by the way looks brilliant with the same headlamps.

I agree, the 1998 GT1 is the only one that actually looks good with the "ausgelaufene Spiegeleier", as the headlights are called by German Porsche enthusiasts (runny fried eggs). That said, I like the 1996 GT1 more. But surprise-surprise; I can't afford any of them! I can hardly afford the 1998 GT1 resin kit in 1/24 scale from any of manufacturers BBT, Modelers and Custom FX!

3 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

I'm surprised to hear that Chris Bangle designed the Fiat Coupe... it's so pretty!  Easily one of the best looking FWD cars made. 

Amazing, isn't it? Way too nice for being his work! :P Pininfarina did the interior though.

26 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I agree, the 1998 GT1 is the only one that actually looks good with the "ausgelaufene Spiegeleier", as the headlights are called by German Porsche enthusiasts (runny fried eggs). That said, I like the 1996 GT1 more. But surprise-surprise; I can't afford any of them! I can hardly afford the 1998 GT1 resin kit in 1/24 scale from any of manufacturers BBT, Modelers and Custom FX!

Amazing, isn't it? Way too nice for being his work! :P Pininfarina did the interior though.

It's amazing... and interesting Pininfarina ended up doing the interior.

And yes the 1996 GT1 car had the 993 headlights and better looking styling on the sides... I don't like the 1997 Evo update with the scalloped doors.  I hope the restyle was done for pure aerodynamic purpose.

Resin kits are crazy expensive.  For the price of half of one I bought a Maitso 911 GT1-98* and a CLK-LM** !  

ZMVabOY.jpg

*gosh, i should put some black paint in those light buckets... looks like a fogged up headlamp as stock.

**That's not a typo the 1998 Mercedes GT1 is the V-8 "CLK-LM" not the V-12 "CLK GTR" like previous years.

• Like 2

Here's an update for those interested:

I've just removed the image links broken by Photobucket's current policy, as I find time I'll reupload to imgur.

I'm pleased to report after hours of consideration I've found proper axle-extending spacers and new wheels!  I was fortunate enough to grab one of the 53231 treaded wide tires for the rear!  This time I'm going with the 5-point wheels, inspired by photos like this one:

537472d1305756938-speed-yellow-993-gt2-993-gt2-q-tn.jpg

• Like 3

Update, the axle extenders are a bit of a pain (plus I lost parts for them!).  Fortunately I did find a new set of tires and some metallic paint for the rims that looks better than previous.  Reconditioned wheels and new tires B)

2ffAWJ6.jpg

Though not noticeable at this angle the rear wing does need a repaint.  I'm going to modify it to street legal car spec as others have done.  I also picked up a new wing/mirror parts rack incredibly cheap.  I am considering making a box art body with replica decals.

• Like 2