VagabondStarJXF

Feedback on my 3D Printed Stuff, please. :)

Hi all,

I've recently got a few quid from Shapeways. I was actually a bit surprised by this, probably because I'd turned off my notifications, so I was wondering...

I don't know if anyone on here bought the chassis braces for their CW01s but, on the off chance that the few that did are on here, can you tell me how they handle under use? I don't get out with my RC's much lately so any feedback would be appreciated.

CW01 Chassis Brace - Front.jpg

CW01 Chassis Brace - Rear.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what I'll be releasing in the future, I don't have any specific plans to be sure, but I'll try to put up my designs as and when I can for feedback purposes.

I designed this today. It's a set of battery stays for the TA05 M-Four. I'm not sure if anyone else bought this chassis kit, it doesn't seem popular because of the 380 motor limitation coupled with a high price tag, but I think it's a rather nice M-Chassis.

I'd bought the servo saver mount and patiently waited for a battery mount thing that never came. I don't like the Velcro battery holders, it's a preference thing, so this chassis has been shelved since I'd assembled it.

TA05MFour Battery Stays.jpg

• Like 2

More battery related goodness! I've just finished my preliminary design for an extended battery door for the Tamiya Striker. I've always been unhappy with the standard battery door on the Striker. It always allowed my battery pack to get damaged because it didn't cover it completely. (In hindsight, that's probably why I drive my RC's so carefully in my old age!) This door extends right across the chassis to offer some protection for the battery pack's ends. It does, admittedly, reduce the ventilation to the battery but I'm going to have to wait and see if that becomes a problem later on. I do have an idea for vents but that'd mean cutting into the chassis a bit. I'm not really sure if I want to do that but, as they say, if needs must! I'm going to have to wait until next year to print it off though. I've already overspent on Shapeways thanks to the 25% off thing that's going on and Christmas is fast approaching...

On a side note:
Does anyone have a Tamiya 1700MP battery pack to hand? I'd just like to know the dimensions so that I can see if it'll fit into my TA05 M-Four battery stays.

Striker Battery Door.jpg

• Like 1

I am very happy you designed it the battery door for the striker. It was on my list of things to do and now I don't have to deal with it. Please post when you have completed the final design and I will get myself one!

• Like 3

Thanks dude. I've got a list of stuff to do for the Striker as well but I figured I'd start with the thing I had a particular distaste for. The only problem about my design is that it's just a bit expensive as it is. I need to figure out where to shave off some of the cost. It's already as thin as the original part so, unless I start cutting holes through it, I'm not sure what else I can do to make it cheaper.

edit:

Now I've got a problem of choosing which would be better. Holes or no holes? It would solve ventilation issues. lol

Striker Battery Door v2.1.jpg

Striker Battery Door v2.2.jpg

Edit:

I've decided that I don't want holes. I've also decided to spend the last bit of money I have on a test print. I hope it'll speed through the production and get to me within the next 2 weeks so I can test it for fitment but the way I keep on adding stuff to my last Shapeways order it might not get to me before 2017 arrives! :D:D:D 

Trying to learn how to use the Sketcher on FreeCAD is proving to be problematic. I've watched vid after vid, then rewatched them again and again, and for some reason things don't always work the way it should. It's not consistently not working either. Sometimes it works like it shows in the vids. Sometimes it just don't wanna work... That hasn't stopped me from designing a diff lock for the Grasshopper though. :) It's now uploaded to Shapeways and added to the list of stuff to order in the New Year. Must resist putting order through again... :D 

Grasshopper Diff Lock.jpg

• Like 1

Well I'm a tad unfamiliar with some of the chassis your parts are designed for....most actually.

But having said that your work looks pretty solid indeed.

• Like 1

I'd love to try out your CW-01 braces, it is just the price tag that has put me off so far. :) maybe in the following year, when some funds have been gathered.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:11 AM, Pablo68 said:

Well I'm a tad unfamiliar with some of the chassis your parts are designed for....most actually.

But having said that your work looks pretty solid indeed.

Thanks. :) I've been trying to figure out the 3D CAD program FreeCAD for about a year and it's only now that I'm starting to get pleased with my results. That being said though, I still don't feel comfortable putting stuff on my Shapeways shop until I've printed a prototype to test fit.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:02 AM, GregM said:

I'd love to try out your CW-01 braces, it is just the price tag that has put me off so far. :) maybe in the following year, when some funds have been gathered.

I'm new to the 3D printing thing so, admittedly, I was a bit shocked myself at the cost of things when I first started looking. After I started uploading designs I found that costs are pretty high for even the smallest piece. For example, I designed some base plates for Lego Minifigures and the cost on it was near to £20. With a bit of refining I managed to knock a couple of quid off of it but it was still too expensive to print.

Anyways... I'll be happy to go back and take another look at the pricing on the chassis braces for you. 'Tis the Season and all that! :) 

About the chassis braces, and this is a Q for everyone, I've noticed that the front sells more than the rear. (Which is understandable as the front is useful and the rear is more... decorative.) Would it be more attractive as a set of both instead of as individuals? I've been thinking of doing a sprue thing like Pintopower does with his AMPro stuff to bundle them together.

Thanks! A bundle would be nice, similar to Pinto's bundles. But I'd also suggest keeping the seperate parts in the store, so they're still available as spare parts.

14 hours ago, GregM said:

Thanks! A bundle would be nice, similar to Pinto's bundles. But I'd also suggest keeping the seperate parts in the store, so they're still available as spare parts.

Okie dokie. :)  I've just finished adjusting prices and I've made sets/pairs available too. I've also added "unimog" versions as well, just in case someone wanted a set of those. I don't suppose anyone out there has an original Pajero that they can try one of my braces out on? I'm really curious about if it'll fit considering that the placement of the dampers is so much lower.

edit:

In the run up to Christmas I've been thinking about cutting down the Christmas spend and, as I'm not the only one with more than one CW01 chassis, I've just thought... Would anyone be interested in a 'multipack' of chassis braces? If so then what would be best? A multipack of [insert number here] sets? A multipack of fronts only? Should they be all the same, e.g. all blank? I don't know if it'll make things more affordable (some small stuff I'd tried bundling together actually went up in price) but if someone wants I can look into it.

Thank you so much! I've got no idea how you worked it out, but you've managed to cut the price down for the bundles quite good. I'll get the Montero bundle for my CW-01 Montero/Pajero Wheelie.

What material should I choose when ordering? Usually I went for "Plastic: black strong & flexible" when buying parts at Pintopower's AMPro shapeways shop.

• Like 1

Glad I could help. :)

It's all the same material for the strong & flexible plastics. They're just polished and/or dyed in post production. The only different stuff I've put on there are the metallic plastics but I haven't tried out those ones yet so I can't tell you what they're like. If you've bought black parts for your model before I would recommend sticking with that so that all the parts will match colour-wise. If you want a contrasting colour then you could go for something that'll match whatever colour you've done (or are going to do) on your bodyshell. That's usually what I do and it seems to work ok for me so far!  :D 

So I made this today. This is definitely NOT actual size. It's actually about 8.5mm tall. It's a badge for the front of the Midnight Pumpkin shell. I have the decal that's supposed to go on the front but it's always bothered me that it's not 'represented' the way it should, raised away from the body like it's an actual badge. Obviously I couldn't make it as thin as I wanted but that's ok. When I finally get around to ordering it I know it'll be sanded down and polished before I attempt to chrome it. I'm sure that'll whittle it down a bit.

F100 Bonnet Badge.jpg

My TA05 M-Four battery holder...  Well... It Fits! :) I'm going to have to tweak it a little but it doesn't look bad, even if I do say so myself! lol

DSC_0001_zpssipsb7y1.jpg

These wheels I'd designed for this project also look good but I'm going to redraw them anyway. It didn't hold up to the polishing as well as I'd hoped it would.

DSC_0006_zpsjy5eebxn.jpg

I finally got the AMPro front arms for my Grasshopper. I also got my custom wheels for it too. They've been sitting in my cart for ages. My Grasshopper/Hornet display stand has worked out as well. I tested the front stand with both a stock and AMPro bumper and it's a really nice fit to the screw points. The rears might need a little tweaking.

DSC_0010_zpssqxxgof5.jpg

My wheels are made for the DF03 sized tyres and have the holes for the nuts & bolts from the original wheels, just for decorative purposes. :)

DSC_0029_zpsnthogme7.jpg

Fronts

DSC_0028_zpstpj0tl1a.jpg

Rears

Not bad so far...

• Like 6

I've just fitted my STAC Grasshopper nerf bars and thought I'd take a couple of pics of my stands which, strangely, fit nicely now that I've fitted those STAC nerfs

The front stand fits nicely onto the front bumper. It also works the same way on the stock bumper.

DSC_0008_zpsyzhnvuo4.jpg

The rear stand now fits exactly as I'd designed them now that the bottom screw isn't in the way.

DSC_0007_zpscb4amw86.jpg

I've never heard of STAC or their stuff before but theirs seem to be the only nerfs that fits the Grasshopper without interfering with the body.

DSC_0003_zpsvg6yldjp.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsq52heshl.jpg

• Like 1

Last bits from Shapeways arrived mere minutes ago. I'm really pleased that my extended Striker battery door fits as it should. It fits so well that I'm making it available on my Shapeways store as soon as I've finished posting pics of it. :)

DSC_0002_zpsujwek1xh.jpg
DSC_0011_zpslsigivem.jpg
DSC_0008_zpslvcmkf8f.jpg
DSC_0004_zpsjlptuu43.jpg
DSC_0007_zpscffa9q05.jpg
DSC_0006_zps6jdxqb5d.jpg
DSC_0005_zpsz1j8ms2p.jpg

Again, like with my CW01 chassis braces, if anyone buys it I'd appreciate feedback about how it handles actual driving conditions. Many Thanks and Merry Christmas!
  • Like 1

Check out the prototype battery mount for my Pajero/Pumpkin Project!

DSC_0004_zpsalsxzoyg.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsxnkbbi5z.jpg

DSC_0002_zps68czjbkg.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsw17vaaxb.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsbwlaxtm5.jpg

DSC_0009_zps6fvugwkx.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsdljpxtrm.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsbcufqfjh.jpg

I'll need to redo the top part to be reinforced a bit as it feels a bit flexible to the point of feeling a little flimsy. Also, the holes for the body pins were a little low, almost nothing in it but it did make things a little tight when trying to put the pins in. Other than that it seems to fit almost exactly as I'd intended it to fit. It holds the weight of the stick pack really well and even adds a bit more rigidity to the chassis. It has pretty much no movement either but, under heavy use, who knows what might happen?

I'm going to be offline for the rest of the year. I'm going to be travelling a bit so I don't know what kind of internet access I'll have available to me. Before I go though...

The rest of my prototypes in today's delivery aren't so good. My posi-lock diff seems to be too wide and too thick in places, causing tightness in the gearbox that restricts rotation and rubbing contact with the spur gear. I'm a bit disappointed with that as I'd taken a lot of time and effort trying to thin it down enough to compensate for those issues in particular. Obviously it's going to be sent back to the drawing board before I can print it off again. (No pics. I got a bit carried away trying to fit it then got angry when it didn't fit right! :D )

My dummy servo block wasn't as disappointing but it seemed a little too loose once assembled, too much lateral play on the pin, although I shouldn't be too unhappy as it's not supposed to be there for anything more than attaching the front arms together. I still think it's a good idea though so I'm going to redraw it to try and eliminate this rather minor issue. (I forgot to take pics of it before I put it in my Sonic Fighter, sorry.)

In the previous delivery from a few days back... My CW01 wheelie bar kit was pretty good but, unfortunately, the mounting plates came out slightly wrong. Everything else about it worked out beautifully, at least I think it did, but the mounting plates need to be seriously rethought. While I'm at it I think I'll try and make it work around the sicnme (sp?) alloy bar I'd bought for my Midnight Pumpkin which somehow went on to my other Grasshopper before winding up on my Pajero setup Pumpkin. For the redraw I'm going to have to go old-skool and pull out the pencils, cardboard and scissors, to do a mock up that I can translate onto FreeCAD. (Sorry. No pics again.)

My CW01 front arms worked out well which, when you consider I've done a total of 4 test prints so far, isn't great news. The front hubs, despite a complete rework, still don't work right. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I'd thought I'd corrected it properly this time. Admittedly I could just buy another set of AMPro arms but I really wanted my own front arms kit on my Pajero/Pumpkin project. That being said I'm almost at the point of giving up on doing my own so I might just go ahead and order another set of AMPro arms and get the CW01 rear end kit along with it. He really does design some really nice stuff so it's really tempting.

DSC_0007_zps1lxu4xuw.jpg

The rear end which, at first, I saw as pretty much a success despite coming out as a little smaller than it should've... Well... I had to do a few mods to make it work with the AMPro CW01 Trans Brace like I'd intended it to... Then I had to cut the chassis a bit to get it to fit and, after all of that, I put on some wheels and thought "The rear wheels still look like they're a little too far forward." Just a guestimate but it looks like I could probably push it back another 8-10mm to make it fit right in the middle of the wheel arch. Have a look and tell me what you think?

DSC_0009_zps2a0txvdi.jpg

DSC_0001_zpscaoyugdb.jpg

DSC_0004_zps2ycpgxac.jpg

Anyways...

I'm off... so I wish everyone on TC a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May 2017 be brilliant for us all!

• Like 1

On 30.11.2016 at 4:48 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

Glad I could help. :)

It's all the same material for the strong & flexible plastics. They're just polished and/or dyed in post production. The only different stuff I've put on there are the metallic plastics but I haven't tried out those ones yet so I can't tell you what they're like. If you've bought black parts for your model before I would recommend sticking with that so that all the parts will match colour-wise. If you want a contrasting colour then you could go for something that'll match whatever colour you've done (or are going to do) on your bodyshell. That's usually what I do and it seems to work ok for me so far!  :D 

Thanks! As promised I've now ordered the braces (black colour), they should arrive either end of December or in January according to Shapeways.

• Like 1

I'm back! I hope everyone has had a great Christmas & New Year/Holiday Season. I've just flew back in to London so I'm a bit jetlagged. Gonna rest up a couple of days (maybe) before I get back to working on my stuff.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:17 AM, GregM said:

Thanks! As promised I've now ordered the braces (black colour), they should arrive either end of December or in January according to Shapeways.

Cool. Thanks for purchasing a set. Please feel free to post up your pics and thoughts on them once you've had a chance to fit them and run your model.

Got them in the mail even before Christmas! Man, those braces are BEEFY. Now I just have to get my hands on some suitable oil dampers, since I still have the stock friction shocks installed.

• Like 1

So I'm having a bit of trouble getting myself motivated after this holiday season so I'm trying to ease myself back into things with v2 of my Grasshopper Diff Lock. I've had to completely redraw it from scratch because I simply couldn't remember where I was on v1, what I was doing to it, etc., etc., etc., so modifying it was a frustrating and fruitless exercise. I remember that I was trying to remove the slack from the original diff setup but since that went so badly wrong, I'd basically created a binding issue, I've opted to try and get the dimensions as close to the original diff. The side to side play that I was trying to eliminate will have to stay and I'll just have to live with it. Ho hum... Nevermind though, eh? There's always other stuff to get stressed about. lol

Here's a 3D render...

Grasshopper Diff Lock v2.jpg

I really love the car stand idea. Would you mind if I share your picture?

DSC_0008_zpsyzhnvuo4.jpg