VagabondStarJXF

Feedback on my 3D Printed Stuff, please. :)

Your designs look really good! 

Do you have the stands for the Hornet on your shop? I'd love to order a set for the AmPro Hornet we're building here at the Shapeways office :) 

2 hours ago, Tizer said:

Your designs look really good! 

Thanks. I like the M04RR conversion spacer you do, it's a very nice piece. I bought one some time ago but haven't got around to fitting it yet.

2 hours ago, Tizer said:

Do you have the stands for the Hornet on your shop? I'd love to order a set for the AmPro Hornet we're building here at the Shapeways office :) 

They're only prototype designs at the moment but I can make them available for you.

edit:

Done. They're available, for now, but I'm not intent on leaving them up permanently. I need to rework them a bit but I don't know when I'll be getting around to doing so. This being the case please be aware of the slight interference on the rear stand. The lower screw for the stock nerf bars hits the front nub.

@VagabondStarJXF Awesome! I'm going to order a set this week. I'll testfit them first to see if they interfere and rework before getting them polished and dyed.

As for the M04RR spacer, thanks for buying one! I've sold a fair few over the past couple years, but I've never ever come across one fitted. I'd love to see your result some day. 
My normal M04RR is long gone, I converted it to an M03 a few years ago. I'd love to have another M04RR sometime as I'm sure I'd be better at setting it up now. I am however still working on designing parts for the M04. Last year I started to build a M04RR-XL; It's a M04RR in touringcar size (257mm wheelbase) with TL01LA suspension. I designed a conversion spacer to get this wheelbase + recently I printed a wide shocktower to make the dampers fit and have some adjustment. A new rear shocktower, bodyposts to acommodate the usual touringcar bodypost position, a front bumper and maybe even a full bathtub chassis are to follow. I was even talking to a friend of mine about designing a mirrored gearbox so the motor can run forward again. Here's a little sneak picture of the car.
16010327_1507143049303440_532770960_o.jp

And that's it for hijacking your topic :P

• Like 1

It's been a while since I'd posted on here. I've been trying to do the whole "social media thing" with my RC stuff but I keep getting bogged down with stupid current affairs, stupid politics of stupid so-called politicians, stupid click-bait about stupid stuff I don't need to know, and other stupid stupidities of Stupidville, which is a stupid little town just past the city of McStupid, that just eats away my days and nights so that I don't really accomplish anything. [sigh] Anyhoo...

While I'm waiting for the next discount offer to come up on Shapeways, I've started on my DT02 Holiday Buggy 2010 refit. Back when I'd first finished my HB2010 project I was kinda pleased with myself. I'd narrowed the track with a bit of hacking to the suspension arms, I'd hand crafted an undercowl out of styrene sheet which looked rather awesome (even if I do say so myself), I'd managed to do an IFS style cantelever front damper mount which not only worked but also fitted underneath the lowered HB2010 body, I'd filled the holes in the HB2010 body and managed to paint the unpaintable polyethelene plastic it was made of, and I'd managed to modify the chassis to allow the fitment of an aluminium rear bumper. I was very pleased with what I'd done... until I didn't get around to running it. The more I looked at it the less I liked it. The worst bit is that the longer it sat around the more parts that started to inexplicably break. Somehow I've managed to have more breaks on this non-runner than I have ever had on the Striker I've had since I was a kid. Anyways, I'm not going to get into the rant I can feel coming on. I'm going to refit my model with a completely reworked, redesigned, 3D printed set of parts. First bits are the arms, designed to narrow the standard track width to be pretty much the same as where I'd managed to get it to before. The only thing I'd forgotten about with their design is the mounting points for the DT-02 Stabilizer kit which, so I've read, isn't really useful unless you're driving on a smooth, hard and level track. I might add the points before I print but, at this moment, I'm not really sure if it's necessary.

DT02 Narrow Track Arms.jpg

Lol. I finally found my servo mounts for my Sonic Fighter so that I could properly fit my dummy servo block. I think I need to make tolerances tighter but this prototype still works remarkably well once tightened down. Now I don't need to use up a perfectly good servo, vintage or otherwise, just to hold the wheels straight. :)

I'm definitely going to do this with all my models that end up being retired to their place on the shelf. Servos have gotten expensive since Acoms disappeared. :(

Dummy Servo Block 01.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Lol. I finally found my servo mounts for my Sonic Fighter so that I could properly fit my dummy servo block. I think I need to make tolerances tighter but this prototype still works remarkably well once tightened down. Now I don't need to use up a perfectly good servo, vintage or otherwise, just to hold the wheels straight. :)

I'm definitely going to do this with all my models that end up being retired to their place on the shelf. Servos have gotten expensive since Acoms disappeared. :(

Dummy Servo Block 01.jpg

NOW this is a fantastic idea , why didn't i think of this :lol:  .  Nice !! will have to look at getting some , or i may have to try making some my self ?  . 

Great idea VagabondStarJXF , Very great idea . 

I can get some servo back then :D .

• Like 1

Crash Cramer, this pic's for you!

Body Posts for the M04. Still needs prototype testing, if only for fitment. I'm still saving up for my next order while waiting for the next Shapeways discount code to come up. It doesn't help that I've spent all I'd saved on parts for my Bigwig build. :D

M04 Body Posts.jpg

edit:

I was just looking through my M04 Manual and it appears I've drawn the wrong front body mounts. I must have had a TL01 set mixed in my parts but the bag said M04 on it. :( Actually, I'm no longer sure which model's body mounts I've drawn?

Edit 2:

HA! I've just found my last set of M)4 body mounts and, yep, I've drawn completely wrong body mounts. Good thing I hadn't put in an order with Shapeways yet. I'd be so... peeved... if I discovered this after I'd put the order through. Phew! [wipes sweat off of brow]

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 11:12 AM, Tizer said:

@VagabondStarJXF Awesome! I'm going to order a set this week. I'll testfit them first to see if they interfere and rework before getting them polished and dyed.

As for the M04RR spacer, thanks for buying one! I've sold a fair few over the past couple years, but I've never ever come across one fitted. I'd love to see your result some day. 
My normal M04RR is long gone, I converted it to an M03 a few years ago. I'd love to have another M04RR sometime as I'm sure I'd be better at setting it up now. I am however still working on designing parts for the M04. Last year I started to build a M04RR-XL; It's a M04RR in touringcar size (257mm wheelbase) with TL01LA suspension. I designed a conversion spacer to get this wheelbase + recently I printed a wide shocktower to make the dampers fit and have some adjustment. A new rear shocktower, bodyposts to acommodate the usual touringcar bodypost position, a front bumper and maybe even a full bathtub chassis are to follow. I was even talking to a friend of mine about designing a mirrored gearbox so the motor can run forward again. Here's a little sneak picture of the car.
16010327_1507143049303440_532770960_o.jp

And that's it for hijacking your topic :P

HIJACK AWAY, you have the precise body mounts on your M04 project that I am wanting to know if they exist already on Shapeways as I just don't see them on eBay much at all. You have to buy a whole tree of unneeded parts just for ONE, something I think Tamiya does on purpose to sell us more plastic than we will ever need.

On 2/26/2017 at 4:56 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

Dummy Servo Block 01.jpg

Very cool idea that I didn't think of either, but you are right, a great way to save money on buying servos that don't exist, now we need servo saver rings that are not made of potato chips as it seems Tamiya made whenever they molded them in black. I have S and P trees from up to 30 years ago that are STILL working and not snapping in two like many of my 90's molded pieces from the likes of M chassis and Manta Ray vehicles, HOW FRUSTRATING

11 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Crash Cramer, this pic's for you!

Body Posts for the M04. Still needs prototype testing, if only for fitment. I'm still saving up for my next order while waiting for the next Shapeways discount code to come up. It doesn't help that I've spent all I'd saved on parts for my Bigwig build. :D

M04 Body Posts.jpg

Not to pick but those are the OTHER posts on the M 04 chassis parts trees that I WON"T need copies of, if that makes sense. See the above photo of the XL M04rrlmnop or any other letters I forgot to add.

I thought I was the only one that was drastically distracted by all the stupid stupidness on every stupid webbrowser/email program. Now I can join your club.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 0:07 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

Thanks dude. I've got a list of stuff to do for the Striker as well but I figured I'd start with the thing I had a particular distaste for. The only problem about my design is that it's just a bit expensive as it is. I need to figure out where to shave off some of the cost. It's already as thin as the original part so, unless I start cutting holes through it, I'm not sure what else I can do to make it cheaper.

edit:

Now I've got a problem of choosing which would be better. Holes or no holes? It would solve ventilation issues. lol

Striker Battery Door v2.1.jpg

Striker Battery Door v2.2.jpg

Edit:

I've decided that I don't want holes. I've also decided to spend the last bit of money I have on a test print. I hope it'll speed through the production and get to me within the next 2 weeks so I can test it for fitment but the way I keep on adding stuff to my last Shapeways order it might not get to me before 2017 arrives! :D:D:D 

No holes! Keeps $#%& out. LOL. Let me know if you make them available. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pintopower said:

No holes! Keeps $#%& out. LOL. Let me know if you make them available. 

:D 

pm'ing you.

5 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Very cool idea that I didn't think of either, but you are right, a great way to save money on buying servos that don't exist, now we need servo saver rings that are not made of potato chips as it seems Tamiya made whenever they molded them in black. I have S and P trees from up to 30 years ago that are STILL working and not snapping in two like many of my 90's molded pieces from the likes of M chassis and Manta Ray vehicles, HOW FRUSTRATING

Y'know what? I think I still have loads of servo parts that just need that ring. ok then... I guess I'll be drawing up that ring after all. :D 

Not to pick but those are the OTHER posts on the M 04 chassis parts trees that I WON"T need copies of, if that makes sense. See the above photo of the XL M04rrlmnop or any other letters I forgot to add.

Yep. That model has been sitting in my folder, waiting to be uploaded and printed, for quite some time. I'm glad I started doing my M04 rebuild now rather than later or I would've wasted money on that test print. I'll be drawing up the proper M04 posts this week. I need at least one more set for my other M04 project.

I thought I was the only one that was drastically distracted by all the stupid stupidness on every stupid webbrowser/email program. Now I can join your club.

Welcome! Strap yourself in. It's always a bumpy ride! lol

It took the best part of the day but I've drawn up the proper body posts for the M04 chassis. I'll need to print off and test fit them before I make them available but I don't know how soon or how far away that'll be as I still need to buy a few more parts for my Bigwig build. Until then, for my M04, I just need to finalise the new spacer I need for the next project.

M-04 Body Posts - small.jpg

Looking good, but not to pick, the fronts look like the holes are going front to back and not left to right for the bodyclips. Also, did you add some more holes lower down than normal??? I got confirmation that my magnetic mounts are starting their slow boat shipping from China, fingers crossed waiting. I wonder if Terz or the other fella from Shapeways that is building parts made only available from Shapeways prints, he made an XL M04 chassis spacer, wonder if he did these mounts too????

6 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Looking good, but not to pick, the fronts look like the holes are going front to back and not left to right for the bodyclips. Also, did you add some more holes lower down than normal??? I got confirmation that my magnetic mounts are starting their slow boat shipping from China, fingers crossed waiting. I wonder if Terz or the other fella from Shapeways that is building parts made only available from Shapeways prints, he made an XL M04 chassis spacer, wonder if he did these mounts too????

You're right about the holes. I was kinda rushing myself near the end last night, I was getting tired, and got 'em wrong. :D Well spotted. I did try to add an extra hole on the rear but there wasn't space. The fronts actually have one less, now that I've counted them, so I'll need to lengthen that to accommodate the extra hole if I want to add it. Hmm... I might need to re-measure the spacing between holes...

The only mounts available from another Shapeways seller are the C6 & C10 ones made by Pintopower. They're basically the posts I drew up by mistake (they're for the M03 as it turns out). I don't need those posts so my ones aren't going to go on my shop. I'm not even going to test print them. In the meantime I've noticed that the M04 front posts are the same as the M06 so I might do up an M06 set. You never know when parts will become hard to get so might as well be prepared! :)

Holes now in the correct orientation! For some reason it now costs more to print. It's only a few pennies but still, it's kinda odd.

M-04 Body Posts v1.0.jpg

Weird it went up, perhaps the trading price of oil went up in a day??? LOL I did tell you that M05/06 front posts LOOK the same, but their diameter is BIGGER, so be aware as you may have to enlargen your body holes if you go that route.

After a bit of a faff, trying to design something and failing miserably before discovering that FreeCAD is, in fact, still great... just not built to do what I want, I've decided to start teaching myself another program. It's only day one for me on learning Blender and I'm already annoyed with a missing drop box that's supposed to be there to allow me to rescale my "blueprint" images. Still... I will persist and, hopefully, learn Blender quickly so I can get back to designing the stuff for my projects.

In the meantime, how's everyone's CW01 chassis braces holding up thus far? If anyone can post up some pics/vids of their runners I'd appreciate it. :) 

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Crash Cramer said:

I did tell you that M05/06 front posts LOOK the same, but their diameter is BIGGER, so be aware as you may have to enlargen your body holes if you go that route.

I've drawn them up using the same diameter as the M04's. I saw no reason to do otherwise. :)

Dude, those are some nice designs!

Remember that the boundingbox of your design also influences the price. I'd try and make a sprue that puts the bodyposts closer together so the boundingbox is smaller. It will save you some $ when you're going to print them. Splitting the design up into front and rear pairs might also be good for someone only looking to replace one or two posts.

I like what you've done with the rear M04 bodyposts. I always hated the antennamount and usually cut it off with a knife, but it makes the post very fragile. Your posts will allow the body to sit a lot lower, which is nice with the Miata or Honda S800 bodyshell.
I'd love to print a set of the M04 posts to put on my car. The more M04 spare parts, the better B) They are getting hard to find now.

By the way, I have the Hornet stands printed and under our Shapeways car. I'll show you some pictures soon. We wrapped up filming yesterday and I'll post an update in the buildthread this weekend hopefully.

@Crash Cramer I have the M04RR and XL extensions on my shop, but no bodyposts yet. The wide front shocktower, spurgear cover and some stablizer holder bits will make their way to the shop soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Tizer, that is great information. I will have to keep my eyes on Shapeways for all sorts of parts that are not easy to get the real Tamiya part, or where it would be an absolute waste to need one or two parts from a tree when you can have just the part you are after.
Great advice for someone to keep costs low on a design, you should consult with more folks or perhaps you at Shapeways already do that in your help section or such?? I don't design or draw on the computer, but if the tutoring is there for folks to keep their designs attainable due to lower costs, it will bring them to print more things. Just my thoughts.

I would like to get one for my build, still waiting for a decent offer! (at shapeways)

• Like 1

After a lot of dilly-dallying I've put in a small order of prototypes with Shapeways. Today is the last day of free shipping so I had to make a decision kinda sharp-ish. That means that my Bigwig build has been delayed again. It's not the only project I've got that's on the go that has been delayed but I was really hoping to have it done before my next birthday in a couple of months. As funds are always low, for me at least, something's gotta give. Ho hum. Nevermind. Hopefully my next set of prototypes will allow me to get to the next stage on a couple of other projects. Maybe they'll even be sale worthy.

On 12/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:
Last bits from Shapeways arrived mere minutes ago. I'm really pleased that my extended Striker battery door fits as it should. It fits so well that I'm making it available on my Shapeways store as soon as I've finished posting pics of it. :)

DSC_0002_zpsujwek1xh.jpg
DSC_0011_zpslsigivem.jpg
DSC_0008_zpslvcmkf8f.jpg
DSC_0004_zpsjlptuu43.jpg
DSC_0007_zpscffa9q05.jpg
DSC_0006_zps6jdxqb5d.jpg
DSC_0005_zpsz1j8ms2p.jpg

Again, like with my CW01 chassis braces, if anyone buys it I'd appreciate feedback about how it handles actual driving conditions. Many Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Hi Vagabond,  I just found this thread as I've got a Striker coming way any day be and spotted thst battery tray might damage my batteries, love this new battery door you've designed.

I have no idea how this system works though with regards to Shapeways etc, like you design it and they print it? How's it work? How much for one of these battery doors posted in the UK?

Anyother parts for the Striker worth considering?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Hi Vagabond,  I just found this thread as I've got a Striker coming way any day be and spotted thst battery tray might damage my batteries, love this new battery door you've designed.

I have no idea how this system works though with regards to Shapeways etc, like you design it and they print it? How's it work? How much for one of these battery doors posted in the UK?

Anyother parts for the Striker worth considering?

Congrats on your Striker! The Striker was my first Tamiya and I still love it... although I'm sure I probably shouldn't. :) The size of the battery door is actually a bit of a pet hate of mine (and not just me it turns out) so the extended door had to be one of the first things I designed. Here's a link to the battery door on my Shapeways store. You'll find the price and colour options there.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7S2Y3RRJL/striker-extended-battery-door-v2?optionId=61433629

Shapeways will print off my designs and ship it direct to you, avoiding any extra shipping time and/or costs by not shipping it to me first. They have flat shipping rates so you can order loads of stuff from multiple designers and not incur a greater postage cost. I always try to do rather large orders, when I can afford to, in order to take advantage of those flat rates.

I haven't finished designing anything else for the Striker yet. There's some minor bits in the works but I'm in the middle of trying to get to grips with Blender so I've kinda let my FreeCAD stuff slide a bit. Pintopower also has the Striker on his list of models to work on but he's kinda busy with the King Cab/Hilux Monster Racer, as well as others I'm sure, so I couldn't say when his stuff will become available. For other upgrades I recommend getting aluminium wheel hubs, I've just ordered a set from Pargu (they're marked as for the Fox Nova Fox Falcon), as the original hubs snap if you overtighten your rear wheel. Also get the FX10 front suspension kit, chassis stiffener, bumper, and dog bones from CRP. I haven't got the FX10 suspension kit myself, there's a bit of fettling involved when fitting it, but lots of people have fitted it to sort themselves out with some better handling. I'm intent on designing my own so I haven't bothered. (But if Pintopower beats me to it I'll probably make an exception and just buy his version. :D) Lastly, if you want oil-filled shocks all around but don't want the FX10 kit, get the Sonic Fighter front shock tower. I've fitted them to my first/main Striker along with some Hi-Cap dampers. Here's a link to my Striker in my TC showroom.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=107895&sid=11959

There are some other upgrades that are 'rare but you should buy them' if they come up. First up is the Thorpe/Dirt Burners Falcon complete axle kit (comprised of gearbox axles, dogbones, and drive shafts). They rust easily but, if you don't mind keeping them clean, they work better than the CRP dogbones combined with the stock axles & drives. There's a heavy duty steering kit by CRP that was just thin enough to only require a light filing to the chassis to get an unimpeded full steering lock. I can't think of anything else for the Striker at this moment but if I do I'll edit this post.