VagabondStarJXF

Feedback on my 3D Printed Stuff, please. :)

well... here's a bit of (bad?) news regarding the wheels...

I started trying to solve the issues I'd had, the cosmetic and thickness, and I've basically had to go back and redraw the entire ATS face to fix everything. It wouldn't have been an issue if the model had filleted evenly but the issue was that 1/3 of the face was smaller than the rest. It wasn't really noticeable until I rotated the model a few times. TBH I couldn't really tell what was wrong to begin with, it just seemed 'a bit off' to me, but once I saw it I couldn't un-see it. On top of that I'm having to manually reconfigure each ATS face for each offset and I think I'm going to have to do something similar for the NSU-TT (Spiess?) wheels. Anyways, a few more days and I think I'll have a full range of offsets both types of wheels and then I can get started on the BBS type which is pretty flat, I think, so I think I shouldn't have any of the same offset issues. I should just be able to move the face in or out to match the required offset... I think. :unsure:

Well... That took longer than I'd hoped but... The ATS Classic style wheels are done! (or I think they are! lol)

I had to make a decision about the offsets and how to achieve them. For the +0mm & +1mm variants I went with the no fins/flat face version of the wheels paired with a standard thickness rear side to accommodate a standard (6mm) thickness 12mm hex. TBH Putting the fins on wheels with such a flat face looked odd to me so that's why I went this way with them. For the rest, +2mm to +6mm Offset, I went with the deep dish version of the wheels and thinned out the rear side to allow the use of the thin (4mm thick) hex. This should help anyone wanting to have a deep dish look under a shell that's too narrow to normally accommodate such wide offset wheels.

Now that these are done I can take another look at the NSU-TT wheels again. I've a feeling that I'm going to need to redraw each offset version separately again but I'm going to look for more pics and see what's what before I start messing with things.
  • Like 1

Alrighty then... The NSU-TT Spiess (a.k.a. Spice) wheels are done. I thought I was going to have to redo the depth of the face for the 0mm to +3mm offset versions but, after looking at more pics of the real wheels, it seems that there are no versions of these wheels that are without depth. This put me into a bit of a quandry. The low offset versions really shouldn't exist but I decided to make them anyway... because 'options'.

The good news about it all is that I didn't need to modify the faces all that much in order to do the whole lot. I did reduce the back side a bit, I got rid of the excess strengthing plates/bars and also introduced a slight curvature to the design that I noticed as I looked at more pics of the real wheels, and I had to re-organise the placement of the vent holes to offer a bit more symmetry. Otherwise things are pretty much as they were when I did the preliminary design.

Slideshow shows, hopefully in order, 0mm to +6mm offset.

• Like 1

Amazing. Awesome work, fully approved =)

I'm going to be building out the M05 PRO, the M06 will have to wait.

I have in stock black Cross five spokes, Kawada BBS style and various Ride and Sweep tires. Don't have any Tamiya 60D tires yet.

Cheers, Thompson

19 hours ago, studioRS said:

Amazing. Awesome work, fully approved =)

Thanks. Would you like me to make them available (via Shapeways) now or would you like to wait until I've done some BBS style wheels?

19 hours ago, studioRS said:

I have in stock black Cross five spokes, Kawada BBS style and various Ride and Sweep tires. Don't have any Tamiya 60D tires yet.

Cool. I recommend waiting until you've tested out the wheels before buying the 60Ds. I'm not entirely familiar with the Ride and Sweep tires so I'm not sure how they'll look both on the wheels and under the shell. As you have the Kawada BBS style wheels, would you like me to continue doing up a set? Kawada wheels used to be really good a few years ago, I still have a set of VX wheels which are awesome, but I haven't seen the BBS ones.

4 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Thanks. Would you like me to make them available (via Shapeways) now or would you like to wait until I've done some BBS style wheels?

Cool. I recommend waiting until you've tested out the wheels before buying the 60Ds. I'm not entirely familiar with the Ride and Sweep tires so I'm not sure how they'll look both on the wheels and under the shell. As you have the Kawada BBS style wheels, would you like me to continue doing up a set? Kawada wheels used to be really good a few years ago, I still have a set of VX wheels which are awesome, but I haven't seen the BBS ones.

@VagabondStarJXF If you want, you can upload the rims to Shapeways (I'm a little confused on the pricing for a set of four, please help me out). When ready, I'll more than likely purchase a set of four ATS wheels. I need to build out the M05 chassis first and get the NSU TT body cut and ready to measure for the proper look. LOVE the ATS version, omg, cool! I just have to choose the correct offsets.

If you want to design the BBS style for the NSU TT sure, but ONLY if you have time, please don't go overboard. I'm more than happy with the options you have now. Although, with your design skills I'm sure they will sell well.

Shown below are the Kawada rims I have, intended for a GT-01 Porsche 934 turbo rallye spec in the Almeras Fres livery. However, since I'm such the stickler for scale details, I might use these for something else on a M05 or MF01X. Not sure what offset they are, front and rear are both the same.

On the tires, there are always so many options I want to investigate. I'll use what I have now for the NSU TT fitting to your ATS rims (offset TBD).  For investigating, notably, the RIDE Size 60 low profile pre-mounted Sc36 which the rims are slightly larger diameter than the Tamiya, but the tires are same 60 diameter. I don't think they will work on the rim diameter that you've created — no problem, these are more for me to delve into. (note: they were the pre-mounted spec tires/rims for the M-Class at the Tamiya Finals which worked really well, see below photos). I might snag a set of these RIDE Sc36 pre-mounts, they just looked so cool on the MINI Cooper S.

If we want, I am willing to buy some of the RIDE low profile rims and tires, non-mounted to get dimensions.

Thank you again for all this work, and hanging in there with my extended babble. Really nice work.

Cheers, Thompson

ps... I have a Porsche Cibié rallye light project. It's the Cibié bonnet mounted rallye lights. If available in 1/10 scale (and 1/12 scale for GT-01s), these would be HUGE hit for Tamiya Porsche enthusiasts (they are shown on the Almeras Fres Porsche below). I can send you separate PM, sorry get a little carried away with combining too many subjects and photos.

28918320643_4d860dac55_z.jpg

29460182291_2f57a55fe4_z.jpg

44613276282_90626c8305_c.jpg

43772464025_a1de0843bf_o.jpg

29743774337_fffaefcd01_o.jpg

And finally, below, the closest rim I could find to replicate my 2006 MINI Cooper S R53 BBS R90s (these are normal diameter and not low profile like the RIDEs above).

44632015932_e266809fcc_o.jpg

14299115416_4ed8ddce90_c.jpg

14299116826_d80cd1f7ea_c.jpg

Sorry for the slow response. Family stuff 'n all that. My nephew's graduation was yesterday so the last week has been a bit of a 'thing' and next week I've got family flying in from abroad so I've got to clear out some space or I'm not gonna have anywhere comfortable to sleep. :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, studioRS said:

@VagabondStarJXF If you want, you can upload the rims to Shapeways (I'm a little confused on the pricing for a set of four, please help me out).

I've got them on Shapeways now. I've uploaded them in pairs, like I usually do, as it's a bit cheaper than buying separate wheels. This does mean that I need to connect the two wheels together with little sprues but the saving in cost more than counters this inconvenience. All you need to do is select what offset you need for the front, add a set to your cart, do the same for the rears, then you've got a full set of four wheels! Nice and easy. :) 

Here's a link to my store (which should be sorted into 'newest'): Special Projects: Newest Products

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, studioRS said:

29460182291_2f57a55fe4_z.jpg

14299116826_d80cd1f7ea_c.jpg

These wheels look interesting.

I like the Porsche wheels. I think they'd look nice on my 934RSR M06 project (that got side-lined some time back) if I hadn't already sourced myself a set of Fuchs. That being said I might have to look up more pics. :)

The Mini wheels... I might need a little more practice before I can attempt to recreate them on Fusion 360. They do look nice though.

As for the BBS flat basket weave style wheels... I might still give them a go in a few weeks when more time gets freed up.

@TizerDude, just to let you know, I haven't forgotten about the M04 body mounts for you. Now that I'm a little more comfortable with Fusion 360 I think I'll be able to redraw them, perhaps with a little more accuracy than my FreeCAD version, and maybe even adapt them to be magnetic 'stealth' mounts like I'd done for my Stratos project (if you're interested in that sort of thing). Once my family's visit is done & dusted I'll get on them. Same with the M04S chassis for LiPo packs. (Yep. I haven't forgotten about that one either. :) )

Thanks for your ongoing patience.

5 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

These wheels look interesting.

I like the Porsche wheels. I think they'd look nice on my 934RSR M06 project (that got side-lined some time back) if I hadn't already sourced myself a set of Fuchs. That being said I might have to look up more pics. :)

As for the BBS flat basket weave style wheels... I might still give them a go in a few weeks when more time gets freed up.

@VagabondStarJXF — Search for Gotti 75BA wheels. http://surge-mods.blogspot.com/2016/12/gotti-75-ba-download.html

9 hours ago, Scipunk said:

@VagabondStarJXF Do you have a link to your CW01 front brace? Also any idea why no one has made different wheels for said chassis?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/thevagabondstarproject

Thanks for your interest. The above link should take you to my Shapeways shop and the CW01 chassis braces should be the first items that comes up.

I have no idea about why no one has done different wheels. What kind of different wheels are you thinking of? 

Hey @Tizer! I've finally gotten the modified M04 rear body post(s) done with the 12mm forward re-modification you asked for back in... November 2017?!?!? Sorry it's taken so long. Did you still need them?

No photo description available.

It's 12 holes tall with the bottom hole matching the placement of my last version.

Preliminary pics of my M04S v2 Chassis:

51122993_2054710967952321_70014414314956

51410409_2054711031285648_49907501554110

51278425_2054711041285647_44994375034129

51600647_2054711047952313_61288667015901

51218451_2054711127952305_57209051742354

51461781_2054711141285637_54554117622433

51064673_2054711154618969_66808393456680

51043282_2054711241285627_30245278669026

As I'd stated on my FB page, the LiPo pack measurements I've used as a quide is 139x47x26mm (as found via ComponentShop). I hope this is sufficient enough space. Those are the largest dimensions I'd found there for a 7.4v LiPo. They do have dimensions for 11.1v packs but those packs are taller than the chassis.

• Like 2

Looks cool! As it happens I have been measuring my shorty Lipo bricks for another project and my largest 5000mah is 25 x 46.5 in Cross section so I think you can be fairly confident using those dimensions. I have a 4000 mah shorty which is about 1mm smaller all round. 

• Thanks 1

I think this part is done.

I can't think of what else I'd need to do with it so I'm going to move on to the next piece of the M04 and I'll come back to this if I think of anything else.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:00 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

Hey @Tizer! I've finally gotten the modified M04 rear body post(s) done with the 12mm forward re-modification you asked for back in... November 2017?!?!? Sorry it's taken so long. Did you still need them?

It's 12 holes tall with the bottom hole matching the placement of my last version.

I do, awesome! :D

My M04 is sitting exactly the same as in november 2017 too haha.

• Haha 1

I'll need to rework them a little bit more. I was looking at them the other day and I figured out why they didn't 'look right' to me... I've made them a bit on the slim side so I'll just need to beef them up a bit just to regain a little more structural strength.

The rear body posts have been beefed up a bit. Now I just need to redo the front posts.

And here's the progress so far on the gearbox and I've added my V-Star logo to the M04Sv2 chassis:

The logos on the chassis halves may not print because of how I've put them in there so that's going to change before I upload. I kinda reworked my logo by the time I'd added it to the gearbox, because it took so long to do the gearbox, and because the way I'd placed it into the chassis wouldn't work on the point where I wanted to place it on the gearbox. I'm happy to say that I'm feeling like I'm getting somewhere with all of this... but that might just be the "post-trauma euphoria" of "trying to get my head around drawing up this gearbox" speaking.

• Thanks 1

Nice!! Soon you'll have pretty much the whole car done. That's when it can get interesting, modifying it completely (think tub chassis like M06, but with the battery across, more/less kick-up on the front bulkhead, etc.)

Let me know when it's ready to order. I'll happily give it a try :)

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Nice!! Soon you'll have pretty much the whole car done. That's when it can get interesting, modifying it completely (think tub chassis like M06, but with the battery across, more/less kick-up on the front bulkhead, etc.)

I've already got a plan of things I want to do... it's a list of stuff to be sure... I'll post pics as I get them done.

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I like the idea. I want a M03 and M04 with lipo chassis! :)

I want an M03... I think someone has drawn up and uploaded all (or most) of the M03 parts onto Thingiverse… I'd rather get a genuine one and draw up my own though. :)

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Let me know when it's ready to order. I'll happily give it a try :)

Will do! :)

M03 lipo chassis would be great yes! Too bad it won't be possible in the silver plastic Tamiya used on most of their M03's. I like the look of that.

I might have a go soon with the suspension for M03/M04 and create a long arm suspension set using TRF hubs and knuckles. Might go well with your chassis parts :)

Long arm suspension was on my list but if you can get them done I'd be happy to consider that job ticked off. :)

edit: Who am I kidding? I'll probably still draw up a set anyway! :D 

• Haha 1

The other half of the gearbox is done!

I'm back onto the body posts now, gotta finish redoing the modified versions then I might redraw the original replacements, then I can start looking at the M04's front end.

• Like 2

I'm curious to see how it's going with the gearbox and V2 chassis parts. I saved up some credit so I'm looking forward to ordering both :)

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Tizer said:

I'm curious to see how it's going with the gearbox and V2 chassis parts. I saved up some credit so I'm looking forward to ordering both :)

Thanks for your patience. I haven't had the spare funds to order test prints yet, lately every penny has been taken up with & for other commitments, but I can make them available for sale for you if you don't mind that I haven't tested them for myself yet.