So I decided after having some of the fine people on this site id some parts for me (see: What are these?), to make an SRB buggy out of the parts I've had lying around since 1988 and a whole bunch I've ordered of Evilbay.
Some of the parts are re-re, some are original, many don't seem to want to fit.

The overarching goal is, get those old parts I had onto something that runs again. So it surely won't be pretty.

So first thing is first, parts.

IMG_2070.jpg

As you can see I've stripped down the gearbox, everything was cleaned and it was reassembled with ball raced bearings this time.

I sand blasted the rear suspension arms and drilled and tapped them out to 4mm as the grub screw holes were flogged out. This would turn out to be a big mistake.
Oh, I want to use as many as the parts that I have kept all these years in the build.....this will bite me a bit later.

Now, to get started,

Reconditioned and rebuilt gearbox and  rear suspension parts (re-re/new)

IMG_2072.jpg

Gearbox, rear arms, suspension assembly

IMG_2073.jpg

And again, please ignore the air bubbles in the hose.

IMG_2074.jpg

And with bars. This thing is very much a mix of parts old and new. Consequently I have to have several manuals open on my computer while I work.

IMG_2075.jpg

Now the radio plate and......gah, doesn't fit! It should fit! I can't see why not...

IMG_2076.jpg

Now it fits. Don't ask what I did. Nor tell me to put the tools down and not go any further. I didn't want to wait weeks for another part that may/may not have fit.

IMG_2077.jpg

Original servo saver with body post.

IMG_2078.jpg

Same servo saver with a Sand Scorcher body post that I machined to fit.

IMG_2079.jpg

And it does (fit)

IMG_2080.jpg

First serious delay type hiccup of the build.
 The front suspension assy looked a bit weird and in need of a look, which I began to do. I came across these.

IMG_2084.jpg

Two bottom....thingys. Both bent. I have new ones on the way. These could be home made as the guy I got these parts from was a fellow machinist/fitter.
The will take most likley a couple weeks to get here. I also ordered two rear axles as mine were really badly worn around where the old bronze bushes ran.

Once again, wanted to keep as many original parts as I could, but sometimes....you can't.

Skid plate/reinforcer thing.

IMG_2081.jpg

Polished

IMG_2082.jpg

Could do better....

the Chassis so far.

IMG_2083.jpg

So I'm currently help up waiting for those front suspension shafts to get here.
I am also having issues getting a motor to fit.

After my **** up with the rear suspension arms (drilling out/re-tapping) I had to grind flat spots on the rods that the suspension forks attach to, to make it all go together and work.
It's not pretty, but it works. Hopefully I won't make too many more blunders like that.

All in all, so far it has been more like working as a fitter than building an RC car. That or stripping and reassembling a carburetor.

good work so far :)

this looks like a prime candidate for the "built from parts" build-off :D

• Like 1

Feel your pain on the 4mm tap. Heaps on da evil B. Or there is always JB Weld.

The other way you can win, is to drill a 2.5mm hole in the pins that connect the swing arm to the gear box and tap 3mm through them. You can then use a longer set-screw / or cap socket without worring about the stripped bit. This keeps more "meat" on the swing arm and less likely to crack / break!!!

• Like 1

Will update this soonish.

I don't know if it's a common thing or not, but I keep coming up against things that delay me for a few days/weeks in just about any build I try.
Ebay is awesome when you realise that you need a certain part, but the time lag in waiting for stuff to arrive is a pain in the butt. ~2-3 week wait is pretty standard.

• Like 1

On 8 December 2016 at 2:14 PM, Pablo68 said:

Will update this soonish.

I don't know if it's a common thing or not, but I keep coming up against things that delay me for a few days/weeks in just about any build I try.
Ebay is awesome when you realise that you need a certain part, but the time lag in waiting for stuff to arrive is a pain in the butt. ~2-3 week wait is pretty standard.

& longer at this time of the year :( 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cesco said:

Looks promising.

If you wanna get rid of the bubbles in the hose, check my topic for how: https://goo.gl/LNZEuH .

Thanks for the advice. Great work by the way.

My SRB won't end up looking that good. But it's more for the occasional run, and that fact that it will be living again.

Ok, so it's been a while, but I've been waiting for parts.

Amongst which were these.

IMG_2113.jpg

The old ones were well worn out up near the wheel mounting plate, where a bronze bearing would have run. Which is no longer the case as I'm mounting ball raced bearings in this one.

IMG_2116.jpg

Completed axle/swing arm/etc.

IMG_2115.jpg

More parts that I'd been waiting for. To rebuild the rather bent front end.

IMG_2123.jpg

Mostly rebuilt front end.

IMG_2126.jpg

Now this next sequence of shots, it shows yet again how things can delay you and generally hold up a project.
I don't there is anything that I have on the boil that isn't being held up by something, usually waiting for parts.

IMG_2114.jpg

This is the motor I chose to run this with. It doesn't fit....or didn't.
I have a stack of motors sitting around, some of which fit ok, but not the plastic holder on the back, or were so old that they were a keepsake rather than a going concern, and some that, well they fit but I had no idea how well they ran.

I was going to use my sisters dremel to fix this, but like the day before she asked me, "do you need the dremel? cause I'm going to lend it to so and so". I said nah go ahead.
Then I needed the darn thing.
No biggie, I've meant to get one of my own for ages, and so I did. After waiting a couple weeks for ours to come back......

IMG_2124.jpg

So this is me, machining, ever so gently. Made it fit in the end. This is in no way an endorsement for a particular cold frosty beverage btw.

And this is as far as I've got.

IMG_2128.jpg

• Like 1

Now I'm going to finish this session up with my latest delay.
After fiddling around for quite a bit making the motor fit, imagine my joy at seeing this.

IMG_2125.jpg

So I'm waiting......AGAIN, for parts to get here.
After this though I should be right. I have a body kit, which I am going to start soon and that should be that.

• Like 4