Jason1145

Rough Riders 4x4, you can try to stop em!

Just got this little blast from the past, used to love racing these up n down my hallway when I was younger, powered by a single AA battery with working headlights.....making obstacle courses out of comic books and pens for them to climb up and over...... they had Face's Corvette and Kitt from Knightrider too!

HQz2USy.jpg

YnUc7Dt.jpg

MCgkV9s.jpg

• Like 10

I'd forgotten all about them! Could you put them onto their side to drive on 2 wheels as well?

53 minutes ago, 73robb said:

I'd forgotten all about them! Could you put them onto their side to drive on 2 wheels as well?

Yes you could, side wheelie fun!

This one is 30 years old and second hand but you can find them new in pack for sale still..., these ones with the gear lever stick through the roof have 2wd for speed and 4wd for climbing over stuff lol.

16 minutes ago, Pumesta said:

I had a yellow mustang :)

Looking at them there was lots of different cars and trucks around... these "Tri-Ex" have 2wd and 4wd modes, others just have 4wd with no gear selector.

My little 8 month old daughter loves it as it's quite noisy too!

49 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes you could, side wheelie fun!

This one is 30 years old and second hand but you can find them new in pack for sale still..., these ones with the gear lever stick through the roof have 2wd for speed and 4wd for climbing over stuff lol.

There are a few KITT's on ebay for £30  for still in packet ones going up to £50 for an unpunched one

As soon as I read the thread title I was catapulted back to the 80's.:D

I remember watching the advert on a Saturday morning, waited for what felt like years to get one!

Kitt obviously ;)

• Like 1

I remember one my my best mates in primary school having several of these ... as well as a tcr race set ..... god I've just timewarped back to about 1984!! 

Chris

Omg. I completely forgot about these too. I remember those tyres with the cone shaped hub caps for driving on its side. Great find jason. Now I want one again :lol:.

• Like 1

These are super cool. I still have a smoky and the bandit trans am and the cop car plus a few others from my childhood.  My real passion though is stomper 4x4's. I used to display them before I reorganized my display shelfs  

8CB7009E-C7FA-4059-AAD0-91A5EEAEB91F_zps

I think Stompers were also very cool. With the Rough Riders the rivalry was kind of the hot wheels / matchbox kind, am I wrong?

How about their big sled? Anybody remember these?

Image result

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Rough Riders!  I remember as a very young boy asking my parents for what I called the "rough riders set" - which I think was a pair of Rough Riders complete with a kind of track for them to go on.  They got back from Christmas shopping day and told me the shop had all sold out.  I got a huge Lego set instead, which was rather epic, even if I was disappointed at not having the Rough Riders.

(For the first time in my life, I'm actually questioning whether the shop really had sold out, or if my parents decided a huge Lego set would be better.  In the long run, the Lego gave me lots more fun.)

I remember Stompers too, there was a kind of war over Stompers vs Rough Ridgers.  I had a Stomper and I ran it in the sandpit at school, it got sand in the gears so I tried to take it apart to clean it and broke one of the tabs.  I kinda got shouted at for that :P

As an aside, ISTR the Tamiya Junior series of 4x4 trucks came with little cones that plugged into the wheels for side-wheel running.

• Like 1

I just won a new in pack Rough Rider Tri-Ex for only £15 delivered in the U.K... its a white and orange jeep super tow truck from 1984.... now I'm going to be undecided if I crack it open to play with ( for 2 minutes till the novelty wears off.... ok maybe an hour or two!) or just keep it new... what a great situation to be in :)

Can't bring myself to buy that NIB Kitt for £30 though ;)

• Like 1

I was looking though ePay at some of the completed auctions for stompers and rough riders. Can't believe how much they are going for now. I was buying vintage trucks when they were selling for $25-$30. Now they are selling in the $75-$100 range. If I didn't like them so much I'd sell them. 

When in went to England and Scotland when I was 10 in 1980 I picked up a Trekker which was a rebranded stomper. Several years ago I was able to pick up three mint on the card trekkers. Definitely some jewels in my collection 

I think me and my brother had the white A team corvette with the red stripe down the side. We both had one but I can't remember what the other one was. I'm wondering why we chose that over the a team van?? Is there a modern day equivalent rough rider?

It's completely stupid but I feel like getting one and making a obstacle dirt track/course. It won't happen but the thought popped in their :lol:. Also could I make it radio controlled, stop and start and turn etc. These stupid ideas. I give up on trying to grow up. :rolleyes:

I found one at a bootsale a while back for 50p! I seem to remember my brother had quite a few back in the day, A-Team van, Face's Vette, Knightrider and a few others. I always wanted more of these but got LEGO more (which in hindsight was a good compromise and I was happy with that!)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89806&sid=24472 Here's mine!

• Like 1