Sign in to follow this  
bigoggy

2x NIB Blazing Blazer for auction (UK)

[Threads Merged]

First up, I know this is the wrong section. However, these opportunities are few and far between and this won't get the attention it deserves in the correct section! 

A thread has appeared on Pistonheads.com forums indicating that two NIB Blazing Blazer kits are going to auction with quite a sad back story. The poster was originally under the impression that they may be worth around £100 - but he has been swiftly corrected! 

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=159&t=1636342

Very rare to see these come up in this condition. Also would be very interested to know what "other stuff" they have! 

The auction was tonight. 

Did anyone go to this? 

I wonder what they went for!

One went for £1350, plus buyer fees, and there was a little damage to the blister packaging., the op on Pistonheads will not disclose the sale price of the other.

• Like 1

I went

The other one sold for £1700 (plus 15% of that for fees and 20% of the fees on top for VAT - 20% of the 15%)

Both boxes were pristine, the only damage to both was the gearbox had ruptured the blue cardboard base of the blister packing and the £1350 one had a split the height of the blister at the motor endbell
I was lucky enough to get a look round both boxes - the inner 'parts' boxes were still sellotaped down, the original owner must've just brought them home and tucked them away - even the manuals were dead flat/unread.
Couple of tiny flat spots to the box corners, but otherwise perfect.
Lids looked crisp and white, no yellowing that I noticed.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img169_1212016120

This Rough RIder (foreground left) and Kyosho (right) went as a single lot for£310 - The RR was a MKI with screws in uprights and included a spare MKII front end and a rear end
The Kyosho has a 'carbon fibre' lower tub, dunno if it was stock, looked quite professionally made if it wasn't
click for the big picture click for the big picture

Dunno what these went for, Audi shell had had it though

click for the big picture

Fairlady 240Z (Graupner branded) went for £44

Cheetah chassis, no body and rear torsion bars missing
Transmitter was interesting - heavy, metal Futaba - hammerite gold colour (probably, I'm colourblind)
4 channels plus - was in case so couldn't see model number without removing it and didn't want to damage case.

Original SS box :-(

Original HB box

Willy's wheeler bits - two chassis but shell was badly damaged

20161130_131103.jpg

• Like 4

Cool, looks like some interesting bits. There were a few other lots also, such as lamborghini and porsche but not sure if they were tamiya and there were some mixed boxes of rc bits. 

Did you guys walk away with anything or empty handed. Looked like a fun do!

good luck to the new owners :)

The Lambo was a Radio Shack model although the chassis had an alu spine and suspension sub assemblies bolted to it as opposed to later all-plastic Tandy stuff.

There was a small 'toy' Porsche, didn't catch the brand but it was 1/32-1/24 scale at a guess.

The blue car behind the Rough Rider in the first pic was a Mardave, never seen one like it before though, quite a big car, similar size to a regular 1/10 tourer.

The other Porsche was a Tamtech, not sure if it was the 962C from the box with the diecast stuff in, but it had it's own little box too and a Tamtech '201' (I think) transmitter.
The body of the Porsche was molded in transparent hard plastic, the 'Racing' decals were still bagged - that sold for £70

Sounds like everything was fetching very healthy prices then. I put in reasonable commission bids on the Blazers but not near the level they sold for. I'm genuinely pleased for the couple given the backstory that they made good money.

So, was it anyone on here that bagged them? Were they sold to a physical bidder or commission bidder?

I hope those that went enjoyed the evening, apparently it's every Wednesday they have an auction.

Cheers

Nito

The £1350 one and the Rough Rider/Kyosho Optima (?) lot went to the same guy, I think he also bought a couple of toolboxes of spares too, but I could have got that wrong - we spent a long time discussing their contents after the sale.

The £1700 one was sold via a commission bid.

The auctioneers have a toy sale once a year, last Wednesday in November - a lot of it was gift type stuff, Spiderman stickers, knock-off 'light sabres' etc.
The Tamiya stuff was added in to the toy auction by association, there was also a house-clearance type auction running in another part of the building.
I guess, at any other time of the year, the Tamiya lots would've been in with the general auction.

The chap that originally posted up on Pistonhead said he'd email me details if anything similar came up in future so that I can post it here.
If I understood correctly though, all items must be collected from the auction house (In Leominster, Herefordshire)

http://www.kingslandauctions.com/

Last night's catalogue; http://www.kingslandauctions.com/Portals/0/Assets/CATALOGUE%20S1623%2030TH%20NOVEMBER%202016.pdf

• Like 1

Correct regarding collection. Had I won, Jayne there said she would keep it safe for me to collect. So there is a little leeway with regards to collection within a reasonable timeframe I guess by prior arrangement!

Jayne and Adam were very helpful though. They must have been thrilled with the final sale prices of them.

Cheers

Nito

I'm pleased that they've (presumably) gone to good homes.  I'm even more pleased that the sellers have made considerably more than they probably expected.  Hopefully they'll do something good with the money to remember their son.

A TC member did indeed win the £1700 one. They may wish to remain anonymous though so I won't name any names. :)

I was there at the auction too.  My friend was also there who bought the Cheetah.  It's in superb condition, the major part missing being the shell which he has a NIB body set for that he picked up for £15 on the bay.  Not bad!  Most of the RC stuff there went for what I thought was quite strong money, considering the location and time I really expected less interest to be honest.  Probably quite a lot of people came simply because of the two Blazers, which were as close to mint as you will ever see.

The fact that VAT was added to the Blazers, but not for most everything else there suggests that they may have been the property of the auction house.  Not a private seller.  Make of that what you will.

Also, there was a Cox Lamborghini which I don't think has been mentioned.  Not of interest to me.  The Mardave was a 'mk2' in very nice condition.

9 minutes ago, LongRat said:

The fact that VAT was added to the Blazers, but not for most everything else there suggests that they may have been the property of the auction house.  Not a private seller.  Make of that what you will.

That must have changed last minute then, I checked at 17:00 ish and was told categorically the Blazers weren't subject to VAT - they even had a list of lots and that showed whether VAT was applicable or not - at 17:00, it wasn't

1 hour ago, LongRat said:

I was there at the auction too.  My friend was also there who bought the Cheetah.  It's in superb condition, the major part missing being the shell which he has a NIB body set for that he picked up for £15 on the bay.  Not bad!  Most of the RC stuff there went for what I thought was quite strong money, considering the location and time I really expected less interest to be honest.  Probably quite a lot of people came simply because of the two Blazers, which were as close to mint as you will ever see.

Also, there was a Cox Lamborghini which I don't think has been mentioned.  Not of interest to me.  The Mardave was a 'mk2' in very nice condition.

Are you sure the VAT was on the sale price, and not just the VAT on the buyers premium.

I did a commission bid, there was in addition to the hammer price, a 15% buyers premium plus 20% vat on the buyers premium element only.

I guess that must have been the case.  Not that it would have made any difference to me.

No, me either - bidding card never even left my pocket for the Blazers

The VAT thing was a bit confusing though - Under the auctioneer was a poster saying a £1 sale would cost £1.38, £20 = £27.60 etc. whereas I'd been told earlier that didn't apply to the Tamiya stuff so did double-check.
Was still worth a trip though, had Aldi Wasabi Almonds on the way home - they're a fun experience!

didn't take long, the cheaper of the two is now up on ebay for £3k BIN! Reserve of 2.6k,