Sign in to follow this  
AndyjcClod

Open question.. What Car should I get for Christmas for the back garden?

Hi Everyone

I know this is a very open question but I am kind of stuck I do not know what Tamiya to get for Christmas?

This is what I am after..

1. A car to build in stock to use in my back garden (consists of a concrete patio, short grass and mud) Garden is not that big.

2. Around the £100-140 price area

Other than that I have no idea which model to get!

Any advice or ideas on what you would get with the above two things in mind?

best choices IMO

FUN quirky Bashing

CW01 Chassis (Lunchbox, midnight pumpkin etc.)

WR02 Chassis (Wild WIlly II, Jimny wheelie etc.)

GF01 Chassis (dump truck, FJ truck thingie)

Better handling but still fun

WR01 Chassis (bush devil 2, Blackfoot 3425456465135 etc)

ORV chassis (monster beetle, original blackfoot, king blackfoot etc)

Any of these will be winners IMO.

• Like 2

Given the space constraints, I'd say something that can be fun without going fast. A CC-01 or MF-01X scaler ought to do the trick and be within budget too.

CC-01 Landfreeder / Pajero - Great offers around £110-£130 from Time Tunnel or Fusion.

Although my money would go here:

WT-01 Mud Blaster from tamico @ 119 Euro so circa £100 + shipping (includes enough bearings for the gear box). You could also add the roll bar and front lights from the Bush Devil II 19000328.

Great fun chassis even at low speeds for jumps and garden bashing. Add some of these wheels and tyres http://www.tomtop.com/car-tires-1199/p-rm3675.html from TomTop's uk warehouse @ £11 + shipping and you have a much more scale garden MT. These are 135mm x 70mm (30% larger than standard pin spikes) and look great on the WT-01. So cheap for what you get (I have a few sets ). The tyres fit the standard tamiya rims too. 

MF01x.  Build it as a rally car.  Have fun.  Haven't seen a 4wd Alpine A110 yet.  Or maybe the MF01x with a MG Metro 6R4 aftermarket shell, that'd be cool.

1 hour ago, iluvmud said:

best choices IMO

FUN quirky Bashing

CW01 Chassis (Lunchbox, midnight pumpkin etc.)

WR02 Chassis (Wild WIlly II, Jimny wheelie etc.)

GF01 Chassis (dump truck, FJ truck thingie)

Second this

I have actually been using my lunchbox and dump truck after work in our back garden most days while watching my daughter play outside while dinner is being made.

Our back garden is quite small, mostly grass, a concrete pad, and a kids plastic slide in the middle, so it is quite fun to run the perimeter (like a course) with these two trucks.

• Like 1

Get a lunchie for back garden fun :D. That's what I'm getting. My hornets are great there too. Silver cans in these are great so a small garden isn't a big drawback and these too are great fun at these speeds.

• Like 1

Looking at your Showroom ( no idea how many of those you still have), I'd think a Monster Beetle would fit in nicely. Back garden running shouldn't stress it out, and it looks awesome!

30 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Looking at your Showroom ( no idea how many of those you still have), I'd think a Monster Beetle would fit in nicely. Back garden running shouldn't stress it out, and it looks awesome!

Yea I was thinking that its a RC I have always liked the look of but always steered clear because everyone says the gearboxes are bad. I have most of the R\Cs in my showroom although they are all hopped up or statics now days so I am after a fun garden car that I will actually use.

Loads of good ideas coming at the moment, I am enjoying checking them online and still havent made my mind up which one. I will wait a few days to see all the feedback on here and see what I choose  :D

5 minutes ago, AndyjcClod said:

Yea I was thinking that its a RC I have always liked the look of but always steered clear because everyone says the gearboxes are bad.

I'm not the most experienced in RC, but I don't think the gearboxes are *that* bad, especially on the re-res. My MB had an issue with the rear universal popping out, but that's because I hadn't attached the P plate properly. Otherwise I've not had clicking etc, and it's bounced around my back garden entertaining my young'un without any issues. Ymmv, but if you do fancy it, there's a thread going elsewhere on the board where ORV gearbox upgrades are trying to get made. 

• Like 1

If you want to get the Monster Beetle or Blackfoot re-res you could jump on the MIP Ball Diff Pre-Order and that should sort out the gear issue but there's less than a week left on the pre-order thing so you'd have to make a decision kinda sharp-ish.You could also check out Pintopower's AMPro ORV parts too if you want to do some upgrades along the way. He's just developed an upgrade for the rear suspension that I'm looking to get for myself. It looks really nice.

• Like 1

Get a dump truck.

Just because I want one and not got one yet

• Like 3

How big is a small garden?

Willy WR02, GF01 or a LB chassis with CRP front upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Get a dump truck.

Just because I want one and not got one yet

This...we could all be virtual dump truck friends.

• Like 4

let me say... and let me show you.

small garden and CC-01

small garden and WW2

small garden and lunchbox

small garden and fast DT02 buggy ( OK, just a little mods)

little garden and WR-01 Wild Dagger

small garden (and private street) and Monster B (original)

that's all about Tamiya funny model. Serious racer in a small garden doesn't fit... ;)

• Like 2

For small spaces, in my mind, nothing beats a CC01 with a 55 turn motor and some decent tires. Get a pile of bricks and/or rocks, and learn to carefully pick your way over them. Engaging, relaxing, and easy on the equipment.

• Like 3

not related to Tamiya???

small garden and brushed 1/12 offroad truck Feiyue Eagle3 ( low cost model, poor quality, lot of work to make it "playable")

Ok, now I stop

13 hours ago, markbt73 said:

For small spaces, in my mind, nothing beats a CC01 with a 55 turn motor and some decent tires. Get a pile of bricks and/or rocks, and learn to carefully pick your way over them. Engaging, relaxing, and easy on the equipment.

I like this. Definitely sounds fun, even therapeutic. :)

Id definitely recommend the Jimny, it seems a great size for a garden and will be slow enough too.

Thank for the great advice everyone...

I am now deciding between 2...

1.  cc-01    (I like the look of the Landfreeder)

2. Mf-01x Su\uki

decisions desisions  !   :)