Sign in to follow this  
Pablo68

SRB pinion advice

I probably should put this in my build thread but, I kind of need an answer at this may not get noticed in the builds section.

Silly me bough a couple of pinions for my SRB project, aaaand they are too small.

The spur gear says (edit: 65T actually) 62T on it. Anyone have any idea what pinion I need to fit it?

The SRB's only have 2 gearing options..  They use either a 15 tooth or 20 tooth pinion.. I believe that you will need the 20 tooth pinion..

The pinion gears are 0.6 module or AV pitch like used in the M chassis cars.. A steel pinion will last longer than aluminium if your SRB is going to be a runner..

5 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

I probably should put this in my build thread but, I kind of need an answer at this may not get noticed in the builds section.

Silly me bough a couple of pinions for my SRB project, aaaand they are too small.

The spur gear says 62T on it. Anyone have any idea what pinion I need to fit it?

The SRB's have only ever come with 65T and 70T spurs, which means 20T and 15T pinions. However, aftermarket adapters for the use of 48dp spur gears were popular back in the days, allowing for more gearing options. So, if you actually have a 62T spur, it may not be a 0.6 module gear and it's certainly not an original Tamiya SRB spur.

If this is the SRB build that Pablo68 is referring to, then the spur gears look to be original Tamiya to me...

The only gear adaptors that I've seen for the SRB's used 32dp gears.. 48dp would be too new for an SRB..

getarticleimage.asp?t=n&id=art_030220060

• Like 2

Oops!! My bad guys, it's a 65T spur.....

Not sure how I did that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backlash said:

The only gear adaptors that I've seen for the SRB's used 32dp gears.. 48dp would be too new for an SRB..

Of course you're right! Sorry, the decades are passing by too fast for me!