Thought I'd share a few pics of my new build. My girlfriend bought me the kit for Christmas. 🤗 I've got some alloy threaded body oil shocks on the way, FX10 mod along with alloy body mounts and a few other bits and bobs. I've fitted proline tyre inserts and bearings too. Can't wait for Christmas Day to give it its first run. 😬

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

• Like 8

Cheers!! I'm gonna be like a kid at Christmas (a 36 year old kid) 

I fitted the LED kit this evening. And ordered a few more pieces too. This is beginning to get expensive.. How the chassis sits currently. 

IMG_2608.JPG

Looking good. I got a lunch box for christmas too. I'm keeping myself from even taking it out of the delivery box until christmas though. They can get expensive with all the stuff you can buy for them. Check out the stuff pinto does for these. I'll be ordering his shapeways stuff in the new year.

• Like 1

Cheers.. I had planned to build it on Christmas Day. The GF was keen to put the tree up tho, so we struck a deal. I can't use it till Christmas Day, the battery and charger is another present. Along with the alloy body posts and oil shocks. I have just cancelled the FX10 kit and ordered the Shapeways arms and strut brace. 👍🏻

• Like 1

I like the new stuff being made for them, but through it all, it's still a 'Box. I'm trying real hard to keep more basic and fun. 

And overpowered. 

• Like 2

Will be intrested to see how you get on with the shapeways stuff, I used a large cable tie to get rid of the positive camber on mine!!

I've used some rubber tube for now, to lower the front and get rid of that horrible positive camber. I literally cannot wait for Christmas Day, to get all the bits fitted and give Vanessa her first run. Managed to find some adjustable alloy rear damper mounts with the brace bar today also. I think I'm almost there now. 👌🏻

More work done on the lunchbox at the weekend. Installed the shapeways wish bones, uprights, strut brace. Along with my cheap eBay oil shocks. Gave it a quick hoon up the road outside my house. Went really well. Endless wheelies 👊🏻 I'm now missing some of the chrome plating on the rear bumper 😆 

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

• Like 4

Looks good mate, I'd recommend fitting the gpm wheelie bar I've got one fitted to my lunchie and it makes a big difference to the stability of the car when it's on its back wheels and helps stop it ending up on its rear bumper. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm quite happy with how it's turning out. Yeh I've seen the gpm wheelie bar and will most likely get one. I've just been given some ansman 4000 shock oil. The dampers I got of eBay did come pre fillled but only half full at best. Will the 4000 oil be ok? Too thick? 🤔

Definitely don't want to run thick oil out back. There's a lot of unsprung weight back there. Keep it light with the oil and springs

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info guys. I rebuilt the dampers last night and what a difference it made. After fitting them back on the van I'd realised the rears need to be softer. I'll order some 20w and some softer springs 👍🏻

• Like 1

Had another little go (5 mins tops) up and down the street Christmas Eve. Few wheelies no kerb jumping or anything crazy. One of the AM PRO wishbones snapped. So I've been in touch with shapeways and they are sending me a replacement which is good. But after speaking with the designer they have added this to the product description. 

" *IMPORTANT NOTE*
The CW01 chassis has large tires that add more stress to this front suspension. It is not recommended that you run anything other than the stock silver can motor. A hard impact will break this front end. This is not intended for anything other than a very light runner. We are not responsible for broken parts, nor is Shapeways unless there is a defect in the print. This is a fun simple upgrade for your CW01 but please understand that this front end is not as strong as the orginal and should not be used for bashing of any kind at all."

I'm disappointed because these were made out to be an upgrade. Now I'm being told it's not as strong as the original parts. I saw the video of his lunchbox (fitted with AM PRO arms) jumping with no problems. But now they are saying they are for light use only and no bashing?! Bare in mind all my Lunchbox had was a few runs up and down the road. 

What do you guys think?

Cheers, Dan. 

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

Yeah, it's disappointing considering the cost through Shapeways. With that said, the designers do the best they can with the current technology and materials available. Hopefully, Shapeways will come out with a new, stronger and impact-resistant material in the future that isn't as expensive as metal options. Glad AMPro and Shapeways have added the disclaimers now. I think 3D printing is great for detail pieces, but I don't think it's intended for parts that will take impacts. Too bad. I'd love to see a company like RPM come out with upgrades for the vintage Tamiya kits, but I don't see it happening.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes it is disappointing Steve. I'd like to have them made in carbon fibre or alloy. I know people in this line of work. Yes it won't be cheap but once the molds are made I could then make and sell carbon or alloy wishbones and uprights, and I'm sure that it would soon pay for itself. 

• Like 1

Yeah well this really sucks I ordered mine a week or so ago..... I like you saw the video and it made it look like they could take a beating......... I guess not. Don't understand why make this and even a wide arm kit if they're not built to last......Had I seen this disclaimer I would not have ordered them :( 

• Like 1

Successful hoon up with the box yesterday. Might have slid it down the road on its side and scraped up the body a bit. 🙈

Used a couple of RC plane wheels for a dual wheel, wheelie bar setup. More stable now. Also added a couple of the decals to the back doors and fitted the black anodised alloy body mounts. Might do the FX10 mod next after the disappointment of the shapeways arms. Loving the lunchie 👊🏻😎

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

• Like 2

Great that you're having fun with it. Shame about the shapeways parts though. I've just built the lunch box I got for christmas and was going to order the am pro wishbones but I think I'll stick with the stock items now.

I got two shells for mine. One which will be totally box art and for the shelf and the other to take all the bumps and flips it'll do. Mine will stay pretty stock apart from the bearings I think (famous last words :lol:). It's great seeing the mods you're doing with yours though.

• Like 1

Shame about the Shapeways parts. I was waiting to hear what you had to say about them but I don't think I will get them now. Shame seeing as I have free delivery voucher at the moment :(

What LED kit did you use Black Van Dan??

• Like 1

I was considering pulling the trigger on a set of the shapeways arms, I don't think I'll bother now and I'll probably look into the fx10 mod instead. Your lunchie looks great tho. 

• Like 1