Sign in to follow this  
Country Mike

Honda City 2

Just a wee question re my lads Christmas present, but where do you find Hopup info?

I've just built a Honda City Turbo and looking at the dampers for starters  they look like an oil filled pair would be better, and is there an upgrade for the gearbox as it sounds like the diff don't sound too clever when full power is applied, so can these be modded etc?

Make sure the diff and gearbox have enough grease for starters. The diff needs to be coated. 

As for dampers. Any will fit, just measure the length of them. eBay is your freind. 

Or get bearings for the initial build and encourage him to read up about the hop ups, etc with you?  Most would be easy to bolt on after you've gotten it finished.

Yes the gear box did come pre assembled with a Torque Tuned Motor. I gave it a test etc and noticed to wheelie, which he wanted it for only happens from a reverse to forward manouver and it makes a crack noise. I put the bearings in as I did that with my Brat, so it all seems smooth. Perhaps its normal, dunno, but I like it a lot to the point I may make a shelf queen one for me. Perhaps i'm expecting too much, who knows, but I'd love to be able to camber the wheels and for him, perhaps find a tyre for grass, but on flip side have a wheel and tyre set like his for my modified brat. What's missing off the roof? There is a groove from the sun roof what am sure something should be on it. Great car though.

IMG_20161211_123305 (1).jpg

IMG_20161211_122138_hdr.jpg

IMG_20161211_122029_hdr.jpg

They usually wheelie quite well on a surface with decent grip, but if the grip isn't great then they can need some encouragement! Doing what you're doing, reversing then going forwards, isn't uncommon. It shouldn't make a noise though. The diff and gearbox is pretty tough, originally made for big wheel stuff like the Wild Willy 2 so it shouldn't be under too much strain in the Honda. I hate to say it but it sounds like something isn't assembled right or something's broken.

One thing springs to mind - I've got a couple of these and at least one came with an 18 tooth pinion gear, not the 20 tooth it should have. I would pop the motor out and count the teeth on the pinion. If you've got an 18t but the motor's fitted in the 20t position, the gears might engage enough to give you drive but slip when you're doing the reverse/forward thing. Also check that you've got the O-rings in the outdrives and that the driveshafts are engaging properly. The cracking noise might be a slipping driveshaft. Otherwise just strip the gearbox and double check everything including the screws holding the diff together.

You can get adjustable upper arms to adjust the camber. Tamiya don't seem to make them any more but there are a couple of after market option. Have a look on ebay and you'll find them (and lots of other goodies too!!).

• Like 1